running a fridge

miss jones

I haven't yet looked at buying a fridge but I am only buying a 3socket hook up atm, but not sure how the fridge would work while driving or if I don't have a hook up site, also I'm not very good with electrics,I intend on being an outdoorsy camping chef or with a geroge forman and gas stove so won't have gas either only incase of emergencies
All info would be massively useful :)

jimbohorlicks

Hi
you dont say how much space you have or what van you have for the fridge to go in
Have you thought about a 12v cooler box-which you can run off your batterries whilst driving and switch over to a leisure battery battery when you stop?

There are some condensing fridges available now , similar to home ones that can be run off a 12v battery but the battery will need to be kept charged up -solar panel etc and they are not that cheap.

MATS

As long as you disconnect when you drive off no problems, or get a 100km cable drum - ok for distances up to that limit.

M

miss jones

Hi
you dont say how much space you have or what van you have for the fridge to go in
Have you thought about a 12v cooler box-which you can run off your batterries whilst driving and switch over to a leisure battery battery when you stop?

There are some condensing fridges available now , similar to home ones that can be run off a 12v battery but the battery will need to be kept charged up -solar panel etc and they are not that cheap.

oh yeh sorry! that would help!!
it's a vivaro, there isn't much space, so it will be the size of a small caravan one, leisure batteries aren't exactly cheap either, is there anyway you could plug it into a 12v when driving and electric when you've stopped?

jimbohorlicks

Hi
I suppose if you were on 240v hook up you could use a transformer from 240v to 12v -plenty of those about , but again its an extra cost I suppose.

We used to use a clean 2litre milk container filled with fresh water -frozen at home in the main freezer and then put in a standard cool box -kept stuff ok for a couple of days with the added bonus of the water as well if required at the end of the trip-but did take up space.Since switching to a motorhome with a 3 way fridge we havent had any probs but they are large and although will run of the battery when running need gas or 240 v when parked up. There was a12v coolbox up for sale on here somewhere

atb
Jimbo

hextal

Could you not just use a 12v compressor fridge then hook the leisure battery up via a charger to the site power?

daz

just buy a 12v coolbox from halfords, argos etc most decent ones come with a 240v plug as well, plug it into your cigarette lighter when driving & into the hook up when on a site, jobsagoodun, small enough to leave in the passenger footwell if traveling alone, or secured in the back with a bungee when travelling & pop it onto the passenger seat when parked up if you're not alone, simple, cheap, easy to move & easily stored

http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/easy-camp-12v-240v-24l-coolbox

n brown

Forum Member
a Smartcom relay [£12-13 ] will keep the fridge going while driving ,and charge your leisure battery at the same time,if you have one. a decent 240v battery charger will run the fridge on hookup,and charge the LB. once you grasp it,it's not very complcated !

jogguk

A few things to bear in mind:

Three way caravan fridges are not designed to run on 12v battery power continuously. The low wattage heater element is not really adequate to maintain a useful temperature. It's just to help keep an already cool fridge from warming up too much while in transit. Probably why the thermostat only works on 240v or gas.

By the time you find storage space for a coolbox, george foreman grill, camping stove, gas bottles etc you may as well have a cupboard with fitted fridge in the bottom and a gas hob above. No need for hook up so site fees offset cost off gas, which is minimal for a fridge :hammer:.

John

miss jones

A few things to bear in mind:

Three way caravan fridges are not designed to run on 12v battery power continuously. The low wattage heater element is not really adequate to maintain a useful temperature. It's just to help keep an already cool fridge from warming up too much while in transit. Probably why the thermostat only works on 240v or gas.

By the time you find storage space for a coolbox, george foreman grill, camping stove, gas bottles etc you may as well have a cupboard with fitted fridge in the bottom and a gas hob above. No need for hook up so site fees offset cost off gas, which is minimal for a fridge :hammer:.

John
i just don't like gas! it makes me paranoid.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)