Replacing double swivel with single, citroen relay.

REC

Forum Member
We had our van converted with a double swivel on the passenger seat. Unfortunately we regret this as it has raised the seat a bit high, and as Dave cannot drive now ( medical reasons) and is six foot, he hates the way he sits when being driven around. We also thought the third passenger seat would be used more than it is.
Three questions:
Has anyone used the "low base" for single seats which makes both seats same height, or any idea how much higher a swivel will make a single seat?
Can anyone recommend someone to fit the new seat and advise on making good the floor (Suffolk/Norfolk)
Is it likely anyone will be interested in buying the double swivel/ seat?

Deleted member 4404

We had our van converted with a double swivel on the passenger seat. Unfortunately we regret this as it has raised the seat a bit high, and as Dave cannot drive now ( medical reasons) and is six foot, he hates the way he sits when being driven around. We also thought the third passenger seat would be used more than it is.
Three questions:
Has anyone used the "low base" for single seats which makes both seats same height, or any idea how much higher a swivel will make a single seat?
Can anyone recommend someone to fit the new seat and advise on making good the floor (Suffolk/Norfolk)
Is it likely anyone will be interested in buying the double swivel/ seat?
When I changed my double for a single, I had a job giving the double away!

Squiffy

Forum Member
Rec it's been sometime since I fitted two single swivel seats into my 2014 Ducato, but I do remember that initially I was disappointed by the fact that it seemed to be a high driving position but I soon got used to it and now do not even think about it.what I did note was the cost of a single passenger seat, you could not at the time get one second hand for Love nor Money even in breakers around the country, there was a waiting list for them. Fiat where asking silly money just for the seat let alone the base, asking £1800 + vat if I remember. I was eventually lucky and got the seat and base brand new on ebay for £290 including delivery, it was a guy in Liverpool who was converting brand new Van's into ambulances that were being supplied with two single seats for ambulance conversion but in his particular case he was having to supply a particular type of ambulance where equipment was installed where the passenger seat would be, he maybe still on ebay but that was 6 years ago, 😜. Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
This is going to be a problem with Betty. Anita wants a co-pilot seat. Finding a small swivel seat to fit in the entrance is going to be a pain.

REC

Forum Member
Our trouble is that the relay has a shelf (very useful) above the van cab which is all Dave can see as we drive along! So need a low base on seat...the double seat, I can imagine are easy to get hold of and will probably give it away, but the swivel may be of use to someone who is using the double?

Squiffy

Forum Member
Our trouble is that the relay has a shelf (very useful) above the van cab which is all Dave can see as we drive along! So need a low base on seat...the double seat, I can imagine are easy to get hold of and will probably give it away, but the swivel may be of use to someone who is using the double?
I'm sure that your correct, my son had to do a massive search for a swivelling double seat for his van, so the fact that it has a swivel is a great plus.🙂. Phil

Reactions: REC

wildebus

Forum Member
Single Seats seem to be at a premium. Swivel Plates the same.
I can't talk about the Sevel vans, but I can say what happens in the VW World and also what I have done. Maybe some of this might work for the Sevel?

On the VW T4s and T5s, lots of people fit Swivel Plates. Lots of different makes. But almost all of them add a lot of height to the seat. That is what happened with my own T4 and I removed the plates after a short while as we were both looking at the door top and not through the window
What a few people did was to simply cut the seat base down to make the seat the same height. Easy solution if you have access to the tools.
On the T5, the approach I took was to get a seat base with an integral swivel built in - perfect. I then swapped out the standard 2+1 seats with a nearly-new pair of Caravelle Single Seats that came from Poland at a significantly lower price than UK sellers.
On the LT (current van), single seats and single set bases are pricey! I bought a RHD (UK) Mercedes Drivers Side Seat Base (a lot cheaper than a UK Passenger Side Seat Base) and just fitted it to the passenger side. Sure, it has a redundant Handbrake support but that turned out to be useful for the seat belt lower bolt.
For the Seats, instead of buying the 'official' seats at a premium, I bought a pair of used Ford Galaxy Seats with integral swivels. Much nicer than a swivel plate as the control is built into the seat, plus there is no additional height problem AND they cost £120 for the pair - not far off half the cost of a single swivel plate!
The Ford Galaxy Seats are also popular on the T5s for the same reason and I would think with some minor engineering would fit a Sevel.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Can you not just fabricate a new base to lower the seats?
Yes you can but most folk haven't got the welding equipment available or indeed the correct skill to weld it up safely, and paying someone else to do would be pricey to say the least 😏. Phil

Nabsim

Forum Member
Yes you can but most folk haven't got the welding equipment available or indeed the correct skill to weld it up safely, and paying someone else to do would be pricey to say the least 😏. Phil
I have always know good welders so have never had to pay a going rate therefore no idea of cost. Would it be more than £100 though to fabricate a box from a drawing?
Of course you don’t have to weld the support it can be bolted. All you are after is a stand off at the correct height.

wildebus

Forum Member
I have always know good welders so have never had to pay a going rate therefore no idea of cost. Would it be more than £100 though to fabricate a box from a drawing?
Of course you don’t have to weld the support it can be bolted. All you are after is a stand off at the correct height.
The approach that is taken typically in the VW world is not to build a new base, but to take the existing base and slice off a couple of inches to compensate for the plate height. The just add a newtop surround and make a few holes for the plate to attach in the appropriate place and Bob's your uncle.

As far as costs go, I have not had a base made, but I had my door-mounted spare wheel carrier made by a local engineering company from a diagram and measurements I gave them and that cost from memory £75 including labour and materials and I would think a square seat base would be no greater work?

Squiffy

Forum Member
Well if you think about it Nab you first of all have to purchase the steel and even that's not cheap now a days, round or square section you would be surprised I think how much steel section you would need to construct it properly, say the steel cost £30 and most fabricaters charge on average out of London areas about £35 an hour, it's going to take them at least three hours by the time they have studied the drawing, cut the steel, welded it up and drilled the various holes that would be required. So I reckon it would cost someone about £135 that's if you can find a half decent fabrication company. Phil

REC

Forum Member
Interesting to get others opinions. We have no welding ability and will rely on someone to fit the new seat! I have managed to source a new seat conversion kit which includes a lowered base so height matches drivers seat. Not cheap at £585 and have to buy a swivel too. But it sounds easy enough to fit, our local chap wants £40 to fit it. Will need to tidy up the floor which was chopped about a bit to fit double swivel.
intend selling the double swivel once new seat fitted. Double seat can be given away if not wanted, loads on ebay!

RAW

Forum Member
The Ford Galaxy Seats are also popular on the T5s for the same reason and I would think with some minor engineering would fit a Sevel.
Interesting
intend selling the double swivel once new seat fitted
I would be interested.....

Read this with interest as the Merc I have has double seats on passenger side and they currently rotate with the manual faffy method of taking the bolts out from the seat base and putting quite a lot of effort in turning them 180 degrees. A laborious and time consuming process.
Was thinking about how to make the double seat swivel and saw this post and @REC 's comment so divine intervention ?

Nabsim

Forum Member
I think the £40 for fitting is okay. It may not take long to fit something yourself but it’s rarely timed and you always forget the time something wouldn’t undo lol
£40 for an hours labour isn’t bad and by the time someone gets up, gathers their tools, opens van door, does job, puts toold down and does the paperwork it’s got to be an hour 👍

I keep thinking of a swivel for passenger seat, their are advantages in my mind but not sure they would materialise in real life lol

RAW

Forum Member
I keep thinking of a swivel for passenger seat, their are advantages in my mind but not sure they would materialise in real life lol
You have a Merc Sprinter too ? Is it double seat passenger side or single ?

wildebus

Forum Member
depends on the layout behind really.
For a PVC, a swivelling passenger seat makes a lot of sense as the area behind will always be open.
On a custom motorhome, with maybe a side bench behind it could still open up the space a bit?

Swivelling/turning double seats I have found have few fans of those because they are such a faff to turn and the double seat itself is rarely comfortable to start with.
As a kind of aside, does anyone use the double seat for two people for any length of time? It is just about #1 in the list of things to replace (with a single) in every leisure van I have had.

RAW

Forum Member
depends on the layout behind really.
Nothing behind in my Merc really
For a PVC
?? PVC ??
As a kind of aside, does anyone use the double seat for two people for any length of time?
Double seat not used for carrying more than one passenger since I have had the VAN but thinking maybe if I left double seat I could use the driver and passenger seats as a bed when travelling with friends and friend could use double in the back. Not sure how feasible that is though.

wildebus

Forum Member
PVC = Panel Van Conversion. Like what you and I have.
Custom = Plastic/GRP bodied van like what Nabs has got :)

There is a VW T5 Camper that uses the cab seats as a bed foot extension to go with the rear single RIB seats when they are folded (so a 4 Travel seat, 2 berth camper). And when the rear seats are not folded, the layout becomes like a 'dinette' I suppose with 2 front seats facing the 2 rears.
Quite a good use of space in a smaller van

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)