Pulled leaky window out without breaking it

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Window out but full of bonding under seal and mastik all thing I thought would seal it. But no , all because I was not above window when pushing home when fitted , the bonding was not flat at top so not enough pressure applied .
1652548384743-1929672946.jpg
1652548416265434663658.jpg
so whats the best way to clean so can reprime.
But the under seal is still wet after nearly 2 years.
Petols now as dear as cleaning fluid. ?????

165254843632995444660.jpg
1652548454521-1100798424.jpg
getting late on Saturday work monday
Thinners , ?

Attachments

• 16525488182871017145037.jpg
    16525488182871017145037.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110

Squiffy

Forum Member
I've found that the best way is to get an old kitchen knive and sharpen the blade well, on an oil stone preferably. Then using leather gardening gloves use the knife like a spoke shave and gradually slice the excess bonding agent away from the bodywork. Then work on the glass in a similar way. This way you will remove the soft "underseal" at the same time. If you were not trying to remove the underseal it is recommended not to remove all the bonding as this gives a good base for the bonding glue on refitting the window. However in your case removing the bonding/sealant down to bare metal/glass/ paint work is probably the best way to get rid of any possibility of a poor bond due to underseal on refitting. The type of blade I use is a thin blade that's flexible and long about 12 inches long with a straight blade edge not serrated or scalloped edge. I use it for many jobs and for many years including cutting insulation etc. As for removing underseal petrol or paraffin will take soft underseal off especially if most of it has been removed with the knife, But a good rub down with thinners or a degreasing agent would get rid of any film left .Phil

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
When fitting the window again, make sure you use a corrosion resisting primer on the body and the glass.
The glass fitting mastic should be applied to leave a high pointed "V" This way you are guaranteed a leak proof seal.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
All good for getting out, its cleaning up. I used a bike brake cable and wife pulled from out side and sawn it off, so very messy. But the bonding is very stubborn and im going to repaint behind the glass.
the window is as big as as they come and still in one piece.
Thank for ideas and replys.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
When fitting the window again, make sure you use a corrosion resisting primer on the body and the glass.
The glass fitting mastic should be applied to leave a high pointed "V" This way you are guaranteed a leak proof seal.
It was The first window I ever fitted by me from utub as pic above did everything right but the pushing in at the top so my bad.need to get proper primer for glass and the roughed up body work.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Any named products that wife can order on amoson while im at work this week till friday.
Someone said non corrosive primers
TIA

Attachments

• 1652642806299-1929672946.jpg
    1652642806299-1929672946.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118

Squiffy

Forum Member
Thanks for the bonding it the corrosion resisting primer on the body and the glass.that i need help with please guys.
You get the primer with the bonding kit along with the application bud on a stick. The primer is also an anti corrosion fluid too. You must follow the instructions that comes with the kit. Phil
P.s. The primer can be used on bare metal to stop corrosion.

Squiffy

Forum Member
When you get the bonding kit cut off the spike on the plastic nozzle, hold the gun/nozzle at 90 deg to the bodywork and so that the "V" of the nozzle leaves a high triangle continously around the window aperture, try to complete it in one go, it's very difficult to do it in one go but try to complete it in as few a goes as you can, where you stop in places make sure you restart without leaving a gap or low area in the bonding mastic. If you haven't got some, a couple of glaziers suction cups are a much easier solution to placing the window against the bodywork, but it's not impossible to do it by hand. Phil

Attachments

• IMG-20220118-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220118-WA0002.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 108

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Thanks again . but I think I need more of the primer as the tub look a little small ok for a first install, but where the saw has taken paint off and gorged the metal as photo . im think in off just painting the skirt of windon and all the body / paint work behind glass. As preventative.
I got the kit of ebay tub is smaller than the one supplied with window's. The tub is un named.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Funnily enough I had a windscreen fitted today (don't ask!) The chap doing the work was very pleasant and chatty. His preference was to put the mastic on the glass rather than the body. As for priming the solution is supposed to be good for 30 days once opened, though he had no experience due to the amount he got though each day. He was a big fan of Sika products and even went to Switzerland for a training course on the windscreen products.
So if anyone is needing vehicle glassing services around the Doncaster/Sheffield area he might be able to help you.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Sound's like he's got his eye in . This is my first window this year. Im going to put the bonding as high possible so it can't collect water, above the bonding and trough there. mite evan put a way for the condensation water to escape! . Ie leave a small gap in bonding at the lowest point ?
So your are / was a Blondie fan !?. Lol.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Just fitted it ! Is it sealed ? Pushed to in millimetres of its life this time, with no trim on inside to stop it.

Attachments

• 20220531_175540.jpg
    20220531_175540.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • 20220531_175535.jpg
    20220531_175535.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • 20220531_175529.jpg
    20220531_175529.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 20220531_175518.jpg
    20220531_175518.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)