Pop rivets?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
There are many versions of pop rivets, some are designed for soft surfaces. If you can get to the back of the glass fibre a penny washer placed on the back of the rivet will make a strong connection. If the rivet is in a high corrosion area coat it in waxoyl first. If you want to prevent leaks coat it in pu mastic. Pop rivets are not that waterproof.

Tookey

Forum Member
Any reason why you don’t want to use resin and matting?
No, not at all. I asked about pop rivets as the awning and a bar that the bike rack sits on are all pop riveted. I have no experience with fibreglass and the previous owner might have made a poor decision using them. I am completely open to suggestions (y)

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Getting both surfaces clean and abrading them before a good even coat of pu mastic would be belt and braces. Along with the squat frogs. (pop ribbits).

Tookey

Forum Member
I have some Sikaflex 521 UV on it's way in the post for a different job so it don't see why that wouldn't be suitable. I will try and read up on what Nabism mentioned as I'm not sure what he means at the moment.

'Many different versions of pop rivets'........that sounds like a thrilling hour of web research :LOL:

Thank you all and any other suggestions still very welcome

Ta

Nabsim

Forum Member
Have a look here, I used to buy my stuff from them online. I think they used to have some videos showing how to do some stuff

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)