Plug sockets, usb?

Nabsim

Forum Member
I just wish you could get USB sockets without either LED voltage or lights. It's amazing how much these light up that van during the night. What with the diesel heater controller, an inverter controller, and several USB sockets there seem to be little lights all over the place!
You have always been able to get them, I used them long before I ever got any of the later type. Just need a 12v cigar lighter socket to put them in 👍

trevskoda

Forum Member
I find LEDs generally unreliable :(

Which output port to use depends on the device I guess. I use 1A for things like a MiFi router, Security Camera, etc. 2.1A for devices with batteries - Tablet, Phone, etc.
Mine in 9 years and not one failure, you should stop throwing darts at them. 😂

trevskoda

Forum Member
I dont think I am hijacking the thread as I think it's gone cold;

Same as one shown in Trevs pictures I have a 1A and a 2.1A port, what is the difference? I don't mean the amperage as such but rather how do you determine which port to use for charging a device?

Ty
WEll say you are using a phone for tv/vids , well to keep up id use the 2.1a port, if slow charge overnight i would use 1a, best to see what your device uses and always go a bit higher, never lower.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I get asked quite a bit for lightless USB sockets. Not found any. The 12V plug in USB sockets are as close as you can get as usually not illumination on them. Belkin do a nice double one that is very close to flush and has no light.
They can be got but dont turn up often, i have one, all other switched, alternative is one of these if light bothers you, the mask not the dollybird i mite add, well you never know.;)
dollybird.png

linkshouse

Forum Member
You have always been able to get them, I used them long before I ever got any of the later type. Just need a 12v cigar lighter socket to put them in 👍

As it happens I have one of these but they're only rated at 1A and not really suitable for iPad or fast charging phones.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I didn’t get mine from there but have had a similar one for years, it’s in the car at present but that has a 1amp and a 2.1 amp USB port so you get all sorts

susarich

Forum Member
Thank you for your replies, i am going to have to count up how many i need.
Also thinking of usb strip lights so have to work out how i can add these, without tieing up a.usb plug socket.

Greggbear67

Forum Member
I have a twin USB fitted at each side of the bed, green light on them & each one has a 1a & a 2.1a outlet & both are controlled by a switch by the bed so the light can be turned off if needed. In the cab area I just push a double USB adapter into the fag lighter, to power phone & satnav if needed.

wildebus

Forum Member
Would any drop be expected in amperage if multiple ports in use.

(I have no experience with 12 volt)
Talking such low current for USB connected stuff it is unlikely. I wouldn't worry about adding a bunch of USB sockets onto an existing circuit.

st3v3

Forum Member
I get asked quite a bit for lightless USB sockets. Not found any. The 12V plug in USB sockets are as close as you can get as usually not illumination on them. Belkin do a nice double one that is very close to flush and has no light.

Have you tried these?

Squiffy

Forum Member
We have 7, 2 at the front one by the TV midships and two on either side of the rear day seats, this does not include four on the dashboard for travelling use I.e. dash cam, satnav and two for phone charging whilst driving. When static we can be in any area of the rear and reach a USB port even with a short lead, may sound excessive but trust me time and time again I've been glad we've got so many ports, especially when other members of the family are in the van and want to charge something or other. We also have six three pin plug sockets which again have come in very handy and are situated beside the USB sockets at the rear and one on the side of the sink unit originally for electric kettle use though we have never used an electric kettle yet, Phil.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)