Plug sockets, usb?

susarich

Forum Member
I am wondering how many plug/usb sockets people have, I am thinking the only thing I really have to charge is my phone and tablet. So surely just a couple of usb sockets would be fine. 🥴⚡📱🔋

wildebus

Forum Member
I am wondering how many plug/usb sockets people have, I am thinking the only thing I really have to charge is my phone and tablet. So surely just a couple of usb sockets would be fine. 🥴⚡📱🔋
In my camper I maybe fitted around 20 :) But I hate trailing leads and not being able to plug something in where you want to use it.

I would suggest the following:
Picture yourself at each place you will be settled in the van, and what you might have with you. And fit enough sockets at each of those places to satisfy what you need there, ignoring what you might have somewhere else.
So for example, in Bed at the pillow end .... probably want a USB for a Phone Charger AND maybe a Tablet plugged in. So that is 2 USBs. 12V socket? probably not there, so just the USBs. Then go to next location and so on....

other thing to consider is fittings. The basic most common plug styles do the job and cost you the littlest, but don't give much flexbility if you find you want to change. Use something like the Italian CBE modular system and you can chop and change as your needs change and it will be seamless and still look like it was meant to be. As an example of what I mean, here is a picture of two groups of sockets in my Van - they were installed around 13 years apart - which one is the older and which is the newer?
1622125984159.png

Tookey

Forum Member
But you might end up with;

USB charging fan, torch, battery starter etc

If you are putting in any 3 pin sockets you can get ones with usb as well. Unless you are on a very tight budget I wouldn't skimp on ports personally and reckon you might regret only 2

wildebus

Forum Member
But you might end up with;

USB charging fan, torch, battery starter etc

If you are putting in any 3 pin sockets you can get ones with usb as well. Unless you are on a very tight budget I wouldn't skimp on ports personally and reckon you might regret only 2
Actually, could be handy listing likely/possible devices ...

When I bought my Motorhome, it has ZERO USB sockets, and two 12V (one for each TV).
I have added some more for:
USB - Torch Charger
USB - 4G MiFi Unit
USB - Phone Charger
USB - Tablet Charger
USB - Security Camera
12V - Alexa Echo
Added a 12V to USB plug-in adapter in the Cab for Phone Charging while driving. I do really need to change that to a proper Twin-USB adapter.
I have a battery jump starter but until you listed that I forgot about it! and have no neat 12V socket to use with it.

wildebus

Forum Member
I just wish you could get USB sockets without either LED voltage or lights. It's amazing how much these light up that van during the night. What with the diesel heater controller, an inverter controller, and several USB sockets there seem to be little lights all over the place!
I get asked quite a bit for lightless USB sockets. Not found any. The 12V plug in USB sockets are as close as you can get as usually not illumination on them. Belkin do a nice double one that is very close to flush and has no light.

xsilvergs

Forum Member
In the habitation:
2 X double USB
1 X quadruple USB
1 X double 13 amp
1 X Sig lighter socket.

In bathroom:
1 X 2 pin (for razor etc)

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
I replaced two LED bulbs with Halogen ones a couple of weeks ago :)
I was in the van yesterday doing stuff and noticed I get to get shot of ANOTHER LED bulb that is failing. So that will be another Halogen going in (bought a pack of 10, so another 7 spare ;) )

Tookey

Forum Member
I dont think I am hijacking the thread as I think it's gone cold;

Same as one shown in Trevs pictures I have a 1A and a 2.1A port, what is the difference? I don't mean the amperage as such but rather how do you determine which port to use for charging a device?

Ty

Tookey

Forum Member
I replaced two LED bulbs with Halogen ones a couple of weeks ago :)
I was in the van yesterday doing stuff and noticed I get to get shot of ANOTHER LED bulb that is failing. So that will be another Halogen going in (bought a pack of 10, so another 7 spare ;) )
Why David, thought LED was the way forward?

dr1960

Forum Member
Why David, thought LED was the way forward?
The bulbs shown in my previous post R5Ws are 50p each and equivalent led £2 plus each. For the length of time that the bulbs are used if at all its not worth the expense of replacing them.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I find LEDs generally unreliable :(

Which output port to use depends on the device I guess. I use 1A for things like a MiFi router, Security Camera, etc. 2.1A for devices with batteries - Tablet, Phone, etc.
I’ve found the expensive ones ok, but the eBay specials are rubbish.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)