old engine oil

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
I have decided, as my heater needs new bearings, I would do a little experiment; as I will have to strip it down I thought I would run it on old sump oil. When it stops running I will change the bearings and have a look in side, if it keeps running, I will strip it down when the noise from the bearings gets too much for me to stand. At this point I don't even know if it will run on old oil or what the exhaust smell will be like.

Last edited:

mistericeman

Forum Member
I have decided, as my heater needs new bearings, I would do a little experiment; as I will have to strip it down I thought I would run it on old sump oil. When it stops running I will change the bearings and have a look in side, if it keeps running, I will strip it down when the noise from the bearings gets too much for me to stand. At this point I don't even know if it will run on old oil or what the exhaust smell will be like.

I wouldn't.....

Drip feed heaters are pretty tolerant of old (filtered oil)
I doubt the eber pump will enjoy pumping the old engine oil and even less so the combustion chamber/glow plug...
It's heavier viscosity and contaminants will lead to sooting and fouling issues.

Frankly they use so little fuel just run it on clean diesel or kero....

Last edited:

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
We will just have to see................. as I said I've got nothing to lose it's coming apart at some time and it makes oil changes cheaper as you are using the oil twice

Last edited:

trevskoda

Forum Member
Old oil no use as jets block, drip fed burners are best, but be warned council told my mate to stop using one in his workshop or face a very large fine.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Going to have a trial run when at home just to see if too much smoke comes out. Going to try 75% sump oil and I still have a wee drop of heating oil left to mix in

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Seemly it can't be done. Went on Youtube and found a very nicely spoken man in orange overalls who went through the options

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
Thanks, interesting. Yes about 30 years ago I had a drip fed old cast iron waste oil heater that I used in the garage and I remember now it was a sod to light as in the winter the oil was so thick it would not drip fast enough to keep the burn pan alight, so I'd have to light old rags soaked in oil in the pan initially to heat up the pan and body of the heater which in turn would heat up the waste oil tank which was attached to the back of the heater, once the whole stove was warm the oil flowed easily and the control tap had to be closed down to drip at a few drips per second, if I or the lads forgot it would end up a roaring furnace and the stove would glow cherry red with the first 2 or 3 feet of the chimney. once it was going properly it was a very efficient and cost effective garage heater. Though it would be very much frowned upon in todays eco conscious community and health and safety warriors.
So yes I can see how using waste oil in a modern diesel heater would not work as every day before lighting, the pan and drip nozzle had to be scraped out because of the crud build up due to the burnt waste oil. Phil

mistericeman

Forum Member
Thanks, interesting. Yes about 30 years ago I had a drip fed old cast iron waste oil heater that I used in the garage and I remember now it was a sod to light as in the winter the oil was so thick it would not drip fast enough to keep the burn pan alight, so I'd have to light old rags soaked in oil in the pan initially to heat up the pan and body of the heater which in turn would heat up the waste oil tank which was attached to the back of the heater, once the whole stove was warm the oil flowed easily and the control tap had to be closed down to drip at a few drips per second, if I or the lads forgot it would end up a roaring furnace and the stove would glow cherry red with the first 2 or 3 feet of the chimney. once it was going properly it was a very efficient and cost effective garage heater. Though it would be very much frowned upon in todays eco conscious community and health and safety warriors.
So yes I can see how using waste oil in a modern diesel heater would not work as every day before lighting, the pan and drip nozzle had to be scraped out because of the crud build up due to the burnt waste oil. Phil

Pretty much as I said in post #2....

They really don't like much else than clean diesel or kero...

Squiffy

Forum Member
Trust me my wife decided to have a clear out today and guess what I came across, this is totally coincidence, this is a picture of me heating up some cellulose paint prior to spraying something or other. So much for health and safety in those days 🤣, however here I am safe and sound at 70 😊. Phil

P.s. You can see the oil splashes on the wall were someone has missed the oil reservoir, could have been me.

Attachments

• 20211122_115300.jpg
    20211122_115300.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 175

trevskoda

Forum Member
Trust me my wife decided to have a clear out today and guess what I came across, this is totally coincidence, this is a picture of me heating up some cellulose paint prior to spraying something or other. So much for health and safety in those days 🤣, however here I am safe and sound at 70 😊. Phil

P.s. You can see the oil splashes on the wall were someone has missed the oil reservoir, could have been me.
Should have bought yourself a proper gun, suction guns went out with Nelsons eye, binks 630 me lad or iwata. 😂

Squiffy

Forum Member
Should have bought yourself a proper gun, suction guns went out with Nelsons eye, binks 630 me lad or iwata. 😂
That was 1978 Trev, that was a top of the range Devilbiss at the time much later I bought top of the range devilbiss gravity fed which I still own and use on occasions 😁. Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
That was 1978 Trev, that was a top of the range Devilbiss at the time much later I bought top of the range devilbiss gravity fed which I still own and use on occasions 😁. Phil
Tried devilbus, total sh-t in an industrial workshop, also poor adjustment of air and a poor spring for heavy epoxy zink rich two packs.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)