New Old Merc and Needs a Good Clean

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I'm afraid with washing solutions I'm a bit old fashioned.
1st. choice, washing up liquid in water.
2nd. choice, liquid flash ranging from neat to diluted.
3rd. Traffic film remover ranging in strength again.
4rd. Used to be machine cleaner, but not as good as it used to be.
last result now would be washing powder dissolve in water, has a habit of corroding stuff so needs rinsing well.

Reactions: RAW

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Before you get to carried away with putting rad cleaner in for long period , you might be making yourself more problems than you are fixing eg Leaks in heater matrix , cooling rad etc . When you say heater is not working , is it just staying cool (ambient) or is it slightly warm. Have you checked that heater controls are connected , as most modern heaters are blended air type , if the blend flap is stuck you might not be getting much air thru the heater matrix , but majority outside cool air .

wildebus

Forum Member
Something that is unusual with the VW LT and I think also the Sprinter Mk1 is the temp the coolant stays at. My gauge never goes above 70C (158F). This seems to be the norm with these vans? Although despite this I never have the heater on high for long as it really pushes the heat out! (and I DO like it hot :D )
I'll try and post up the PDF for the heating system.

• Thank You

Millie Master

Forum Member

That's the stuff, but I always buy directly from the company as they are so nice and generally helpful, mind you there is postage to pay unless you order over a certain amount which I did, but that last comment leads me to think.

Robert, as yours is a Merc, then if I were you, I would thoroughly inject all 5 of the doors and if you can gain access the internal areas of the sills throughout the van using something like Bilt Hambers utterly brilliant Dynax S-50 spray and then if you have a mind to do so, I would clean off the undersides of your van using a stronger mix of the Surfex - HD, especially those areas close to the sills and then give them a good coating of Dynax UB.
Because I was going to be thoroughly cleaning the underside of my MG, I bought the Surfex - HD in the 5 ltr. bottle that I then mixed to the various strengths I needed for the jobs in hand, I now even have a weak mix in a spray bottle that I use to spray onto the wheels every time I clean our cars and it brings them up like new every time!

Phil

• Thank You

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)