My @Millie' is now on SORN

Millie Master

Forum Member
Well I have reached the hard but sensible decision to put my beloved 'Millie' on SORN as we have cancelled all our planned tours for the foreseeable future!

My only wish is that at some time later in the year we will be able to catch up on our lost travels.

wildebus

Forum Member
saves the road tax. For you and I, it would save £165 a year. But if you have to park on the roadside, you need the tax of course even if not driving anywhere

Millie Master

Forum Member
What is the advantage to SORN, is it not just vehicle excise duty?

I would have thought that was obvious............. however as Wildbus has pointed out and as 'Millie' is parked away off the public highway, it saves us the money and possibly more importantly we both know she is on SORN and as such that has removed the temptation to go off somewhere in her.

Phil

Nabsim

Forum Member
I would have thought that was obvious............. however as Wildbus has pointed out and as 'Millie' is parked away off the public highway, it saves us the money and possibly more importantly we both know she is on SORN and as such that has removed the temptation to go off somewhere in her.

Phil
Well obvious yo you but I thought there may have been something else apart from the refund. To my mind its not worth it at £165 a year for the convenience of being able to move the van if/when I want to.

wildebus

Forum Member
Well obvious yo you but I thought there may have been something else apart from the refund. To my mind its not worth it at £165 a year for the convenience of being able to move the van if/when I want to.
I have thought about doing a SORN for mine, but for the same reason as you decided the benefit and flexibility is worth the approx £15 a month. If it were the higher sub 3.5t tax rate, it could have swung the pendulum the other way.
the SORN process is instant, as is the Retax, so someone could SORN their van and later decide to reactivate to use. But a word of caution and something I found back in 2015 (so maybe changed now?) .... if you SORN your vehicle, you cannot retax it on line for a few days. I assume this is because of databases catching up or something.
Due to a tax complication on a van I bought, the only way I could tax it in my name was to SORN to cancel the existing previous owners tax (should be automatic on V5C re-reg but didn't happen for some reason), but then found I could not retax the next day on-line as the "SORNing" was still in process techically, so had to tax at the post office instead.

Millie Master

Forum Member
SORN just like VED only ever goes from day one or the last day of the month, so if like me when I SORNed 'Millie' the other day, in effect I lost 10 days worth of tax because you never get a refund on that individual month (in this instance March), however we will be receiving a full refund for the other months she had been taxed for.

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
SORN just like VED only ever goes from day one or the last day of the month, so if like me when I SORNed 'Millie' the other day, in effect I lost 10 days worth of tax because you never get a refund on that individual month (in this instance March), however we will be receiving a full refund for the other months she had been taxed for.

Phil
I would always do the SORN on the last day of the month as it is instant. same as getting new tax ... buy it at the start of the month (when I did my new van I mentioned earlier, I waited until end of the month so it was SORNed on the 30th Nov and I bought tax on the 2nd Dec).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)