Multiple Orion B2B Contol

xsilvergs

Forum Member
I have 2 Victron Orion tr-smart B2B's fitted charging 2 110Ah Lithium batteries. I originaly only had one and felt it did its job, but had no real proof as they aren't so smart and don't talk to other Victron kit. I fitted a second as sometimes in winter our drives weren't long enough to recharge the batteries.

With a bit of data logging I noticed dropouts in charging, all be it for short periods.

I have found that using the H remote pin supplied from the D+ signal more reliable but don't like the idea of a 60 amp drain the moment the engine is running. After watching the last Victron video and learning of MCS and thinking it cost prohibitive for me I chose a different tack.

My RPi GX device has a USB GPS connected so knows vehicle speed, it also has a relay HAT fitted and runs NodeRed. With a small piece of code I now turn on one B2B when the van exceeds 30mph, the other B2B is just controlled via the D+ signal.

There are some obvious possibilities of GPS signal loss, tunnels etc but this is factored for in the code to a certain extent plus there will always be the other B2B charging while the engine is running.

This method of control is easy to implement and good enough until i master the obd2 data.

Admin

Administrator
That is a really smart solution. Well done.
You could also use the starter battery voltage if you have a Victron shunt and only activate the Orions if the starter battery is above 13.2v.

xsilvergs

Forum Member
That is a really smart solution. Well done.
You could also use the starter battery voltage if you have a Victron shunt and only activate the Orions if the starter battery is above 13.2v.
Thanks. I was using the "Engine shutdown detection" and the "Input voltage lock-out" on both Orions initially.

Admin

Administrator
Thanks. I was using the "Engine shutdown detection" and the "Input voltage lock-out" on both Orions initially.
There can be an issue with the voltage drop with this method when running two Orions. They pull over 70 amps so depending on the cable run you may need some thick cable.

JIXAMAN

Forum Member
Am ah right in saying B2B is just a means of charging the house battery using the van battery (alternator) when on the move?

If so, then obviously things have moved on since ah last visited the problem of solar not puting out enough in winter in Scotland, ah went old school and put in a split charge relay with the positive going through a hefty engine cutout switch. It works and touch wood nothings broken yet...

Interesting issue that instigated the need for the switch. When its really sunny and you have 14.6 volts, round there, anyway, when you turn off the van the key wont release and the van wont start again, the solar panel was keeping the split charge open so the van brain sees it as a running voltage. I would have to disconnect the battery to release the split charge and all would be good after locking, unlocking the van (which you couldnt do prior to the battery thing) or waiting till the sun goes away. With the switch I dont need to get to the battery and it only ever happens in freaky for Scotland weather or in sunny climes.

Apparently a Sprinter thing as after working out my issue over a few months trial error I read of same thing on MH forums with some folks paying a fortune for recovery and garage bills with no resolution to their issue as it would fix itself (release the split charge) by time the van got into a workshop under cover or overnight being dark.

Anyway, went off topic but split charge still works, what am I missing with B2B? Why is it the way to go (not being rude / challenging, just want to know the pros and cons coz ah know nowt about it) cheers...

xsilvergs

Forum Member
Anyway, went off topic but split charge still works, what am I missing with B2B? Why is it the way to go (not being rude / challenging, just want to know the pros and cons coz ah know nowt about it) cheers...
I originaly fitted a B2B as the AGM Bosch leisure battery could accept 14.7v to charge as per manufacturers spec. A B2B gives a proper charging profile which an alternator doesn't.

I then fitted Lithium and wanted a current limited charge and the proper charge profile for this type of battery.

When I fitted a second B2B I didn't want the full 60A load while the engine was at idle and the alternator has limited cooling. Hence this post.

Hope this helps explain my thoughts and reasoning?

Admin

Administrator
I originaly fitted a B2B as the AGM Bosch leisure battery could accept 14.7v to charge as per manufacturers spec. A B2B gives a proper charging profile which an alternator doesn't.

I then fitted Lithium and wanted a current limited charge and the proper charge profile for this type of battery.

When I fitted a second B2B I didn't want the full 60A load while the engine was at idle and the alternator has limited cooling. Hence this post.

Remind me of your van and if it has a smart alternator.

xsilvergs

Forum Member
Remind me of your van and if it has a smart alternator.
It's a 2017 Fiat Ducato with a regular alternator (not smart). Probably ~190A with thermal protection. I'm not a fan of the thermal protection limiting the output hence B2B's and not the Victron smart relay thing (its name escapes me).

Admin

Administrator
It's a 2017 Fiat Ducato with a regular alternator (not smart). Probably ~190A with thermal protection. I'm not a fan of the thermal protection limiting the output hence B2B's and not the Victron smart relay thing (its name escapes me).
It is your van and you need to do what you are happy with.

JIXAMAN

Forum Member

Ah, so B2B is the way to go with lithium, got you now, cheers...

Admin

Administrator
Ah, so B2B is the way to go with lithium, got you now, cheers...
No, LFP batteries do not require a B2B; it is the alternator that may require B2B. Smart alternators will need a B2B and older alternators that do not monitor their temperature. Generally, I contact the alternator manufacturer to ask if the specific alternator is able to protect itself.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)