Mot

Bouydog

Forum Member
Had my 7.5mgw conversion mot done today and thankfully it passed. After looking for a garage with a ramp large enough I booked a class 4 test presenting it as a motorhome.
The examiner was happy that it was a motorhome squeezed it onto the ramp passed no problem £45.00. I wanted to get away from hgv plating took this route and it worked. 20200730_100132.jpg20200730_102246.jpg
One thing worth mentioning I removed the digital tachograph months ago and not driven it untill today. Speedo not working and no mileage display, during the test we worked out removing the tacho was the culprit and he entered mileage not displayed on the printout. On returning home I rerouted the tacho wiring into a cupboard so as not to be visible plugged the tacho back in and all working again phew.

Nabsim

Forum Member
It’s a fine looking vehicle, you know that a ramp is not needed for an MOT if they have a pit.
Which is very lucky as when I took mine to the usual place last month it wouldn’t lift my van. Was worried for a while til I thought what had been removed since last mot lol

wildebus

Forum Member
Ref the Tacho, you can never just remove the tacho if you don't want it - otherwise it would be way too easy for operators to abuse it.

I'm a little surprised the vehicle passed while the Speedo was non-functional (I am sure that is a requirement?)

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
Ref the Tacho, you can never just remove the tacho if you want it - otherwise it would be way too easy for operators to abuse it.

I'm a little surprised the vehicle passed while the Speedo was non-functional (I am sure that is a requirement?)
I know a Speedo had to be fitted but I don’t recall one ever being tested to work. It had to have mph on it but thus could even be painted on the glass

Bouydog

Forum Member
I did not realise until driving home after the test that the speedo was not working, the tester only drove it from the garage door to the ramp 20 yards or so. He did not seem concerned about the lack of mileage display and really no opportunity to test the speedo, either way a lucky break for me.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Mine is a teco but not reading correct speed as i changed the diff,i do use a satnav but would love to correct the speedo,no one at iveco seems to know how to set up the electronic beast.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Tacho calibration is what you need Trev, usually required after gearbox repairs to ensure correct speed reading.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Mine is a teco but not reading correct speed as i changed the diff,i do use a satnav but would love to correct the speedo,no one at iveco seems to know how to set up the electronic beast.
Have you tried to find a service centre for your Tacho rather than the truck? Being electronic it should be easy to calibrate. It's not like having to change the tacho gearbox like it used to be on older trucks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)