MOT prep advice needed

channa

If you are full timing and fail it can be a major headache ...I always find mOT;s stressful even though I dont FT anymore

Channa

Deleted member 2473

jest get a new one and wait 3 years!

Go to a council mot station, They dont do repairs. Free retests are good, but some are 7 -10 day return.

janner

My van is due MOT in August the first for me so was wondering what I can check before it goes in. It's registered as camper so any info or advice be much appreciated. Thanks

hi,i dont know about the first mot but if you have an mot you can test a month before it expires, which will give you a 13mth ticket if passed,and a months grace to do the work if it fails,also i have used the same garage for years and always give the van a good wash underneath and around the arches,i would not go to one of the special offer places,find a garage with a good local reputation,all the best.jan

Last edited by a moderator:

karlpe

Hi thanks all for replies much appreciated. I will check the obvious bits then find a station to do it.
What is a council testing place or commercial and any one recommend some where near Southampton . To be fair I haven't had to mot a car for 16 years and my bikes pass easy so out of touch and double so with camper.

Polar Bear

Forum Member
Hi thanks all for replies much appreciated. I will check the obvious bits then find a station to do it.
What is a council testing place or commercial and any one recommend some where near Southampton . To be fair I haven't had to mot a car for 16 years and my bikes pass easy so out of touch and double so with camper.

MOT

mandrake

first mot on a vehicle can be a bit of a nightmare agreed .but you should realy have some idea on the general condition of your car or van . my alahmbra will be up for mot end of september and i know that it will fail on a couple of items if i dont do them before its due to be tested . front n/s suspension top bearing is a little iffy and the rear antiroll bar bushes could realy do with doing there getting done this weekend allong with new drop links even though there perfectly ok there under a tenner a set ,so 30 ish quid in bits and about a couple of hours work ,mabey new pads in the front and thats about it .over the last few years i have never had a failure on any car i have owned mabey a couple of advisories but thats about it realy .why because i carry my grand kids in it so it has to be safe .but i always think that if a few new cheaper items have been fitted then the mot guy thinks a well looked after motor and tends to look more favourable on it . p.s no car or van should ever fail on wipers/washers tires or lights these are items we use daily so need to be fully working and should be checked at weekly/daily intervals anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

jimbo

Hi if you out van in for mot now and it is due In Aug and it fails you do not get a months grace to fix it it has to go off road check dvla site and it tells you I always thought you got a month's grace till someone on here on another thread mentioned it cheers

jimbo

Forgot to say some garages will do a free pre mot check worth asking?

witzend

Forum Member
Servicing

Don't you ever have the van serviced after a Full service it should Pass the MOT perhaps have it done prior to MOT, I always do that way assured a Pass

janner

hi,the ldv convoy/pilots have kingpins/roller bearings/shims on the front axle,this is a very old design and is a 'weak'spot on the vans,there can be a lot of movement before a failure and the mot guidelines have a special section on how to test/tolerances for ldv's.there is a routine to grease which involves if done regular will extend the life,or if done just before the test,can take up some slack.there are grease nipples at the top and bottom of each pin,get a GOOD grease gun,grease the top nipples,jack van front[please use axle stands or similar],grease the bottom nipples,turn steering to and fro a good few times,regrease,take off the jacks,regrease the top nipples,
sounds long winded but very quick[5mins]the 2nd time and at least twice a year
i would only take an elderly van with this suspension to a tester that is used to testing older landrovers or similar as the legal acceptable movement on the wheel rim is something like 8mm!!
there is a good fbook site for these old ldvs,wheelbearings,brake discs/pads /exhaust all easily available and a good price,good luck.jan

AuldTam

Every year I go to church and buy some holy water, I put a little in the radiator and the rest in a bucket of water and give the van a really good wash. Passes every time! :angel:

harrow

Forum Member
This is good news

Improving testing standards by sharing test quality data | Matters of Testing

Improving testing standards by sharing test quality data
Simon Smith, 8 July 2016 — MOT testing service

Everyone who uses the MOT testing service will soon be able to access test quality information. You’ll find useful statistics about how many tests your garage has done, how long your tests take and what your testers tend to fail vehicles on. You’ll be able to compare all this information against the national average.

Authorised Examiners (AEs) and site managers will be able to use this to monitor and improve the standard of testing at their sites.

What information will be available?

What test quality information looks like on the MOT testing service
You’ll be able to see statistics about your Vehicle Testing Station (VTS) including the:

number of MOT tests carried out
average age of vehicles tested
average test time
percentage of vehicles failed
You’ll be able to compare all your results against the national average. There'll also be a breakdown of tester’s failures by component category and the national failure rate for those components.

You’ll only find the information for the classes of vehicle that your VTS tests. So if your VTS only test classes 1 and 2 vehicles then you’ll only see information for those classes. If you test all classes of vehicles then you’ll see information for all classes.

You’ll be able to download a copy of all this data.

How AEs can use this information
Test quality information will help you manage the quality of testing at your facility. How you use it will depend on how you manage the site, its size and number of staff, etc.

You should review this information regularly and look into any unusual differences in the data; documenting the outcome of any investigation you’ve undertaken and what action you took. An example could be if a tester’s fail rate for a component category is 20% and the national failure rate is 8%.

In this case you could organise quality control checks on failed tests where the tester has failed components within that category. You could check the tester’s understanding of the pass/fail criteria then record your findings.

It’s important to show that you’re reviewing, understanding and acting on the information found on the system.

How DVSA will use this information
DVSA’s vehicle examiners will look at this information before they visit a VTS. During a site assessment they'll look for evidence of any action taken by AEs where they find unusual differences in the data.

As there could be valid reasons why a testers fail rate is unusually high or low vehicle examiners will look at all the facts before taking any action.

A local MOT station normally stops for a game of darts or has a cigarette while waiting for the clock to go by.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)