MOT prep advice needed

karlpe

My van is due MOT in August the first for me so was wondering what I can check before it goes in. It's registered as camper so any info or advice be much appreciated. Thanks

trevskoda

Forum Member
Jack up front and test for play in ball joints/track rod ends,when at front look at brake hoses for cracking and rust where the metal pipes join hose.
Make sure there is no leaks at struts or shocks depending on what suspension setup you have.
Now back end,same with brake lines and any hoses,jack up each wheel apply h/brake to wheel locks and count the clicks at lever,both sides should be eq and hold wheel.
Put wheel at top & bottom felling for wheel bearing play,a very small amount is normal.
Look for corrosion all around floor and where suspension mountings & springs are,look at all springs to make sure there are no broken ones.
No check all lights wipers horn washer bottle flued levels etc .
After all this all you can do is prey or put a twenty on seat,hope all goes well.

mandrake

good advice from trev . but easiest thing is just put it in for an mot ,and suckit and see you can spend hours underneath checking this and checking that, the mot station will have its own ideas of what is a fail and what is a pass . if you put it in now ,you will have that month to do anything that needs doing .i used to spend hours looking for something on my motors that may warrant a fail on my cars/vans but realised its not realy worth the hassle ,the tester will find it if its there ,and will also let you know if theres something a bit iffy with anything .

Chocky

I agree with previous posters, let the tester find the faults. It's supposed to be a standard test, but so many things are up to testers discretion. However it would be daft to fail on a simple fault so use this time of year to perform your annual service including oil and filter, as this will give you best chance with emissions. check all lights, including number plate illumination (often missed), Horn, fit new wiper blades and top up screen wash.
I always take buns for the tester and the rest of the mechanics, I'm certain it does not affect their descsion, but it doesn't hurt!
Good luck.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I agree with previous posters, let the tester find the faults. It's supposed to be a standard test, but so many things are up to testers discretion. However it would be daft to fail on a simple fault so use this time of year to perform your annual service including oil and filter, as this will give you best chance with emissions. check all lights, including number plate illumination (often missed), Horn, fit new wiper blades and top up screen wash.
I always take buns for the tester and the rest of the mechanics, I'm certain it does not affect their descsion, but it doesn't hurt!
Good luck.

You lot are lucky as its a gov run test centre here,car/van goes on a line through a lot of test equipment ,a shaker for ball joints and t rod ends suspension,then a rolling rd brake test,then the ramp for vis look ,you are not allowed near but just site at side of mot station behind a barrier praying until it comes of the line.:cry:

The laird

Forum Member
You lot are lucky as its a gov run test centre here,car/van goes on a line through a lot of test equipment ,a shaker for ball joints and t rod ends suspension,then a rolling rd brake test,then the ramp for vis look ,you are not allowed near but just site at side of mot station behind a barrier praying until it comes of the line.:cry:

Veiwing areas over here as well trev ,but you can be the assistant if you want.ie rock the steering ,press the pedal ,work the h brake etc.
Good advice you gave ,if all that's done it could save you a mot fail.ex tester myself but folks must realise the test is to the examiners discretion in no two testers are the same?should be I know.

Last edited:

eddyt

make sure you go to a garage who gives a free re test if it fails and you take it away to do the repairs.

Polar Bear

Forum Member
If you are asking what to look at prior to your vans MOT can we assume you are not that mechanically minded?

Check the things you can change if needed, lights. horn, oil level, brake fluid level, power steering fluid level, wiper blades, windscreen washers operation and fluid level! Many vehicles will fail on headlamp aim but without a H-L Tester there's not much you can do with the aim.

Most MOT lanes are now one man operated test lanes and therefore you will not be allowed to assist. You will get 2 weeks to repair anything that needs attention and you can take it in 30 days before it's due without lossing the time left on the old one.

StevenJ

I take mine to an independent commercial vehicle MOT station , call me cynical but they have no vested interest in failing the vehicle for anything.

harrow

Forum Member
make sure you go to a garage who gives a free re test if it fails and you take it away to do the repairs.

A mot station near me is a no-pass-no-fee place so that sort of place is worth a try.

Has anyone noticed that you are often told the headlights are out of adjustment, £15 please ?

Polar Bear

Forum Member
A mot station near me is a no-pass-no-fee place so that sort of place is worth a try.

Has anyone noticed that you are often told the headlights are out of adjustment, £15 please ?

30 to 40% of vehicles have headlamps out of adjustment due to the road surfaces driven on. As testers' for many years we re-aim headlamps for free. Many folks seem to think that garages that due MOTs are all out to get work out of them? Maybe we should stop going to dentists for check ups in case they are just looking to get repair/dental work out of us?

harrow

Forum Member
30 to 40% of vehicles have headlamps out of adjustment due to the road surfaces driven on. As testers' for many years we re-aim headlamps for free. Many folks seem to think that garages that due MOTs are all out to get work out of them? Maybe we should stop going to dentists for check ups in case they are just looking to get repair/dental work out of us?

A dentist is honour bound to only do what is necessary, and yes you should go for your dental check ups.

I have no objection to repairs where they are required.

StevenJ

Shall we say my cynicism is borne from a dodgy MOT station many years ago , having been told my brake pads front and back needed replacing .

I bought the replacement parts and did the job myself only to find there was bugger all wrong with any of the pads , I went back to MOT station asked to speak to the manager , showed him the MOT failure sheet , presented him with the shoes and pads and my receipt from where I had bought them , he paid me back and I haven't used them since.

harrow

Forum Member
Shall we say my cynicism is borne from a dodgy MOT station many years ago , having been told my brake pads front and back needed replacing .

I bought the replacement parts and did the job myself only to find there was bugger all wrong with any of the pads , I went back to MOT station asked to speak to the manager , showed him the MOT failure sheet , presented him with the shoes and pads and my receipt from where I had bought them , he paid me back and I haven't used them since.

Agreed.

By all means say a part needs replacing but be honest.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Veiwing areas over here as well trev ,but you can be the assistant if you want.ie rock the steering ,press the pedal ,work the h brake etc.
Good advice you gave ,if all that's could save you a mot fail.ex tester myself but folks must realise the test is to the examiners discretion in no two testers are the same?should be I know.

True until last year when they failed me and i pointed out they were wrong under vh construction and use regs and they had to bend the knee.:rulez::hammer:

trevskoda

Forum Member
I take mine to an independent commercial vehicle MOT station , call me cynical but they have no vested interest in failing the vehicle for anything.

And thats why english cars/vans with a mot are best avoided as the few i have looked at would have been better of in scrap yard.

trevskoda

Forum Member

They do,mine said the teeth are ok but the gums have to come out.:scared::lol-053::lol-049:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)