mb2tv MH Design

mb2tv

Forum Member
No, not rude!
The Aluminium extrusion i thought about was what the Americans call 80-20 i think. I went on the MK website and used their calculator, but it does not say what is the weight limit, it only gives the deflection, and i chose something that gave 'reasonable ' deflection to my eyes. I could not find a way to to be sure, so went safe. The opening is probably 1.8m. If i can get away with 20mmX20mm that is better, but i do not think it will beat the Ikea beams in price.

Screenshot 2021-04-20 134439.jpg

12mm deflection seem to me quite a lot... and this is for one person. 20 X 20 will deflect more.
I will admit I do not know what is considered OK.
Oh, I will probably will not win 'the slim of the year' award, no offence taken!

Last edited:

weefish

Forum Member
I made mine from Ikea slats and B&Q 60mm cls. It’s cheap, plenty strong and can be removed for daily van use.

Because I have a shorter van I made it with interlocking slats. It can be halved in size by pushing it backwards during the day or could also be pushed forward to give a bigger boot. The carpet offcuts on the ends help it slide.
28EAD5C9-A1F1-436F-A63C-68A38DD7B03D.jpeg
E5D82748-C61C-4B57-B517-5EF3AC98EB3E.jpeg

mb2tv

Forum Member
One more step closer, bought this:
IMG_20210514_115751461.jpg

Thought of doing it much later but Kreg came up with a new design that has less use flexibility (you cannot use it as standalone ), but require less setup. The current one is discontinued. It does not get very good reviews as oppose to previous one that was the 'benchmark ' for pocket holes.

wildebus

Forum Member
I "went" Pocket Screws when I built my last camper and bought the Kreg jig set as well (I guess the older one? got it in 2017). Worked very well but I found I rarely used the stand - mostly the 3-hole jig and the face clamp combo as the jig is too unstable with large ply sheets.
The end result really is super-strong :)

FYI, the square Driver bit is also referred to a "Robertson" bit (a Canadian design that predates philips bits) in case you are looking for a replacement.

mb2tv

Forum Member
Thank you!
I wend for what they call K4 Master system. It includes the clamp and the plastic jig that allows the hole guide to be used as standalone. I wanted it for the reasons you mentioned above, I cannot see myself holding a big pieces in the jig. Their new jig does nit allow for this flexibility, you need to buy all separately.
I do intend to buy a spare drive bit and a drill, as I think those two are 'consumables ', so this very useful information.

wildebus

Forum Member
I think I broke two of the drill bits in total, so not too bad really. one was bad luck, the other stupidity, so definately worth getting a spare :)

mb2tv

Forum Member
Question related to the build... is tbe Peterborough campervan and motorhome show worthy a visit? Might be able to go tomorrow.

mb2tv

Forum Member
To answer my own question...yes and no.
As we have not looked at campervans in detail before, it was worth while.
No, as there were not a lot of them, and non even close to what we want. Not many gadgets either.
Ho ham. Leave and learn.

wildebus

Forum Member
The NEC show in Birmingham around October will be worth going to even if you are well into your build as there should be a massive selection and variety of styles.
No idea about the smaller shows

mb2tv

Forum Member
It was as if it is more a social gathering.
We actually bought our caravan in the NEC in October many year ago. We went again after a few years and were very disappointed with the offering (went mainly fo gadgets) as there was only one outlet!
I will check exhibitors list before i go next time.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Nice to see all electric vans just put a mini camping stove in garage as fridge must come first.
Allow 2 days ffix in for every item its a marathon not a sprint, nothing is as simple first time that what I'm finding. Good luck

mb2tv

Forum Member
My van was suppose to be with me by the end of September, that is now seem highly unlikely :( (there is no firm production date). Update will be only begining of September.

Deleted member 12559

No time to check thread or forum to see if the following method of double bed construction has been mentioned.

Bed base 9mm ply on central longitudinal stiffener spine, clear spanning full length bed head to foot, ends supported
on whatever perimeter frame you may have. Can have a ply joint along the centreline of course for easier fitting
convenience.

Then on the ply base top surface are fixed individual spring units spaced @ around 150mm centres or to suit
individual requirements. The top of these springs have flat plastic discs to support the mattress. Air circulates
between mattress and ply baseboard all flexing is in the springs, not in the base or as it would if beech slats
by flexing between a mid stiffening spine and edge frame. Ply could be drilled for extra ventilation if there's
no likely hood of petrol smells etc. from the space below.

A German firm manufacture these spring supports. I fitted them in a van conversion prior to
my current van so some years ago. I think I bought them from Reimo in Deutschland.

Paxmanmerv

Forum Member
I think I am in the correct place to post this:
Van:
We have been looking for a while for a van to convert. Looking at second hand vans, almost non of them come with an airbag for the passenger, let alone other safety features. After considering long and hard we decided to go with VW Crafter. We have seen on with most of what we wanted but the price was sky high, and dealer would not budge. Looking around, we found that we can buy a new van to our spec at a considerable lower price then a used one standing on the forecourt. SO van is now on order, expected in September. VW Crafter MWB, the 'normal' one is high roof so no issues there (we are in no rash so happy to wait).
Design:
It was decided that we do not want LPG, so all electric, and diesel heater. Hot water is looking like electric as well.
The initial design looks like this:

View attachment 3609
This is very 'loosely' based on a Vanworx MaxTraxx crafter design, with some changes.
Sleeping will be sideways, if we will find it too short we will consider adding a side pod but think we will be OK without.
Water tank will be at the 'garage' on one side and batteries and electric system on the other side. We plan to go with LiFePo4 batteries as we will need it for both hot water and induction hob. Appropriate size inverter will be near the batteries. Grey water will be under the van.
The van will have to be under 3500kg as I want my daughter to be able to drive it, so trying to go as light as we can with as little compromise as possible.
The design includes a shower/toilet (chemical) and the garage should hold 2 pair of bicycles. I am considering fitting actuators to lift the bed for ease of use of the garage.

We started looking for parts, and currently looking for seats. from reading around the ford Transit minibus seats are usually the builders choice.

This is where we are at the moment - comments are welcomed.
Just taken some seats out of a bus. All with seatbelts. Covered in some horrid vinyl stuff but some cheap covers would help. Any good to you?.

mb2tv

Forum Member
Just taken some seats out of a bus. All with seatbelts. Covered in some horrid vinyl stuff but some cheap covers would help. Any good to you?.
Many thanks for the offer- sorry, I already have seats, taken out of a transit minibus, and in very good condition (this is actually the first item we bought for the van)

mb2tv

Forum Member
Had a confirmation that next week is build week, so 4-6 weeks after we hope to have the van.
Started buying some items for the van, but for that I think I'll open another subject under 'Self build' section.
Exiting times!

wildebus

Forum Member
Had a confirmation that next week is build week, so 4-6 weeks after we hope to have the van.
Started buying some items for the van, but for that I think I'll open another subject under 'Self build' section.
Exiting times!
let's hope the bits you want are available!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)