LVYuan inverter - avoid 3000w model.

smdts

Just a wee heads up, I have a 1500w constant 3000w peak lvyuan pure sine wave inverter in my works van, and it has run well for 2 years, I have ran a 1600w induction hob and an arc welder, plasma cutter, tig welder and mig welder off it (brief loads, just welding small brackets onto gates to fit motors. other than that it charges my drills and worklights and laptops while I drive.
Because this one was great, and met and exceeded my expectations I ordered the 3000w/6000w version for my camper, to drive a 1600w induction hob, 850w microwave and a 3000w instant hot water tap, none together, only 1 at a time. no matter what you run from it, anything over about 500w load the output voltage sags to below 200v and the inverter shuts down frequently. It cant run 2000w of resistive load, so the 3000w claim is total BS. my battery setup is 2x rolls s12-230agm batteries, a 95ah starter battery with split charge relay, uprated 160a alternator and a 150w solar panel with mppt and the inverter is fed from 100mm2 cable, measured voltage at inverter input terminals under 1600w load is 12.5v but the display on the inverter says 10.6v, so not impressive. The clue should have been it came supplied with 25mm2 cables, which are probably only good for around 1500w for any length of time.
I have sent it back and ordered a powerjack 6000w unit with built in 80a mains charger and automatic shore power switchover, so we will see how that goes.
my biggest load is my 3000w resistive instant hot water tap with shower takeoff, so if it runs that long enough to wash the seawater out the mrs hair I'll be happy.

smdts

new inverter is a belter, it can run the hot water tap and induction cooker at the same time without complaining.

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_154849.jpg
    IMG_20200314_154849.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 428
  • IMG_20200314_154856.jpg
    IMG_20200314_154856.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 427
  • IMG_20200314_164205.jpg
    IMG_20200314_164205.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 449

smdts

I'm using 100mm2 welding cable, but its still getting slightly warm to the touch after a while not uncomfartably warm, but noticably warmer than the surroundings, should I go bigger?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1584205593418.jpg
    FB_IMG_1584205593418.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 452

wildebus

Forum Member
How long are the cables? on my 2400W (3000VA) Inverter, I am using 70mm2 cable, and I estimate the cable length from inverter is maybe 1/2 Metre (I should measure it to be sure).
I've recorded a maximum of around 230A when in use (either the 2kW hob in full power, but more usually the 2kW Water Heater) and I find the cables get a little warm but not enough to be concerned about. The 50mm2 cable I had in use on a simualr inverter before I rejigged things did get noticably warmer.
FWIW, Victron recommend a pair of 50mm2 cables (so same as 100mm2) with the unit when used within 5M of the battery (5M is a long way to fit a high-power inverter though!).

This web page is quite useful to work out the effect of different cable sizes - https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
The table in the first part gives you the cable ampacity for different sizes and the calculator in the second part gives you the Voltage drop for the cable run length for the selected cable size (I find basing the current selection on minimising voltage drop more important than current carrying (the result being you have an 'oversized' cable, but the only thing that really hurts is your pocket a little))

Last edited:

smdts

about a metre. I'll keep an eye on them, I doubt I will be using the hob and water heater at the same time in daily use, I was just stress testing my new toy. while using the shower I will be running the engine, so voltage will be a bit higher meaning current would be lower.

wildebus

Forum Member
about a metre. I'll keep an eye on them, I doubt I will be using the hob and water heater at the same time in daily use, I was just stress testing my new toy. while using the shower I will be running the engine, so voltage will be a bit higher meaning current would be lower.
I think I would be happy with the 100mm2 cable you have there :)
What fuse protection have you got? I had a few hassles with full-sze ANL Fuse Holders. The fuses themselves were fine, but the heat generated caused the fuse holders I tried to distort. Since using the Victron Lynx Distributor unit (busbar rated at either 500A or 1000A), not had any issues like that with the Mega Fuses that that uses.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)