Low melt solder waterproof butt joint connector

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I've used something along the same lines years ago and they seemed ok. It's got to be better than a crimp connection. If you tinned the wires first it would be even better.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Just hoping someone had used these particular type, I suppose the amount of money is not excessive so even if they were crap at least I could give them a go. I only want them for just incase times so I think I'll try em out 😄. Phil

Nabsim

Forum Member
Not sure on exact brand but I have used them and think they are great. Solder bit in centreandadhesive on either end so it glues the cable plastic as well as soldering the wires.

I have used a small gas soldering iron and it can be a bit awkward getting temperature in the cold/wind/rain with that but that’s the only issue I have had.

RAW

Forum Member
They work OK if you have a decent heat gun, I have used them. Not those exact ones but similar, likely come from same Chinese Factory anyway !
Have found that it works better if you tilt the wires slightly whilst heating solder as allows for flow. As above from @Nabsim have hit issues in cold and wind and also in confined spaces not the best. I also tend to put another heatshrink sleeve around them as well as don't really trust the thin plastic on the solder area to retain it's insulative purpose.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Thanks lads, I'll defo give them a go, perhaps a little soldering (Plumbing) flux might assist the solder flow? 🤔Phil

Nabsim

Forum Member
Think I have used at least half a dozen now Phil and all the ones inside worked well but they were easy access. The issues were when I added a pair of marker lights towards the back and tapped into the rear light wiring. It was early February and windy and cold.
I think it was just my little gas soldering iron wasn’t enough for weather conditions, I would not have been able to make a conventional solder joint so I guess they performed well even then. If you have been in a winters day on a hill in The Peak District in Feb you will know what it was like lol. I only did it as it was coming up to the MOT, I could have waited as I didn’t move the van so didn’t get it mot done til two weeks ago.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)