LHD Sprinter

4D6174

Forum Member
Hi, new here.

Looking for thoughts on this.

I‘m looking at the option of buying a 2011 Sprinter 316 6-speed manual, long wheel base, super high top roof from work to convert. Company doesn’t need it anymore so looking to shift it. On the plus side it’s done ridiculously low mileage (like 35k), but it’s a left hand drive (obviously that’s a good thing for European trips, I imagine doing 50% or more UK use). Also, it seems like the noose is tightening with emissions, so is having a euro 5 diesel engine going to be a hassle in a few years time?

I‘m happy with driving a vehicle of that size and I can park it off the road.
I’ve driven LHD over here and RHD in Europe so semi-comfortable doing it, e.g. getting square-on at junctions.
It’s been pretty well looked after, full MB service history.
Would be for me & wife only, so plenty of room for 2.
Being a super high roof, the top is fiberglass. Any issues with fitting solar panels/ pullout awning?
Also seen that they may be prone to rust. I’m going to kick the tyres (and bodywork!) on it with mechanic father in law tomorro.

It’s quite tempting, depending what I can get it for. Just wondering whether to go for it. What pitfalls haven’t I thought about?

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Price will be the decider, if ex company they might be VAT on top, sprinters are good mechanically but watch out for the tin worm as they are not very good at resisting rust, look at any 10 year old sprinter at the lights.

I assume that as you posted on this forum it's going to be a PVC conversion, so width can be an issue as unless you are not to tall you will need to put the bed lengthways instead of accross like in Ducato etc.

Can't really say much more without seeing plenty of pictures inside and out and the actual price, worth more if it's not white of course.

4D6174

Forum Member
Price will be the decider, if ex company they might be VAT on top, sprinters are good mechanically but watch out for the tin worm as they are not very good at resisting rust, look at any 10 year old sprinter at the lights.

I assume that as you posted on this forum it's going to be a PVC conversion, so width can be an issue as unless you are not to tall you will need to put the bed lengthways instead of accross like in Ducato etc.

Can't really say much more without seeing plenty of pictures inside and out and the actual price, worth more if it's not white of course.
Ta, yep VAT would be due. It’s white, with sign writing, so something else to address if I go ahead.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Sign writing that has been on for so long can be a real PITA to get rid of, easy to strip the vinyl with a heat gun but it can very often leave a ghost image and that is really hard to shift, T-Cut etc doesn't always work, this white used van places find it easier to just DA them and respray them.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Ta, yep VAT would be due. It’s white, with sign writing, so something else to address if I go ahead.
Just as an aside, sign writing on the side of a vehicle is almost impossible to get rid of, in the past I've even taken it back to bare metal and still it shows through after primer and top coat have been applied, faint but definitely visible when viewed down the length of the vehicle. Phil

P.s. just noticed Pudsey has written a similar comment on sign writing.

Red Dwarf

Forum Member
I guess it’s down to price. If the condition is reflected in the mileage, could be a good buy. As has been mentioned, rust can be an issue. Again the low miles, could mean a tidy body?
If it’s ex company and they’ve owned it for years, it’ll be written down to buggerall on the books. I’d be making an offer that involved some cash, though don’t expect an invoice for the full amount!......
Good luck!

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Another thought occurs, you could buy it cheap and sell it on if they are not averse to the idea and put it into a different van.

JIXAMAN

Forum Member
My honest as ahv got a LWB HT 2013, not the EHT fiberglass so not 100% comparison. Almost indestructable, even when its been sick it still got us there and you can get parts anywhere. On the Euro compliance, we have a problem with the business vans now Glasgow has a zone so it all depends where you are ah suppose, ah live rural so not an issue for me so far. Rust, yes, cant say had no rust, every spring I rub down and paint any bits showing but its not horrendous... Ghosting on decals, respray, what ah had to do (ah work with vinyl and graphics, pvc grey glue is hit or miss but hi tack or moto mark scars for life)...

Build wise, bed long ways unless your a midget but if you intend having a garage it just makes sense, we have height enough for the kart, another space for tools and the top deck for the bed and theres tons of head room. Plenty of space for solar / tv arial, tyre rack etc. Toilet is a game changer, we put in a shower too which is a novelty at best but its there so we can shower in house if need be. Got a full size fridge freezer too, helps with time we can be away from it all and the usual cooker / sink and living room area. TV and Xbox and an old phone plugged into an amp for Amazon Music and thats junior sorted. So, yea, Sprinter works well for converting and LWB helps fit it all in.

Good luck, m, LHD / RHD, makes no odds really, like you say, you quickly learn positioning and if youv no spatial awareness your doomed in a RHD just as much as in a LHD... Cheers...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)