Levitation

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The title would be good but I want to make some hydraulic levelling legs for Betty. Has anyone tried this or has thoughts on the subject?

Nabsim

Forum Member
Can’t help at all except I have seen posts where it says the 2 stage rams aren’t as prone to bending. I know Wully had some professionally fitted and that’s about it. I used to do quite a bit with pneumatics in a past life but don’t recall too much but I do wonder why nobody has tried pneumatic levelling rather than hydraulic, are the pumps cheaper versus compressors maybe? I know pneumatic piping would be much cheaper.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Can’t help at all except I have seen posts where it says the 2 stage rams aren’t as prone to bending. I know Wully had some professionally fitted and that’s about it. I used to do quite a bit with pneumatics in a past life but don’t recall too much but I do wonder why nobody has tried pneumatic levelling rather than hydraulic, are the pumps cheaper versus compressors maybe? I know pneumatic piping would be much cheaper.
I think you'll find pneumatics would not have the same support qualities as air is compressable and oil is not so you would be walking on air as they say. Phil

Nabsim

Forum Member
I think you'll find pneumatics would not have the same support qualities as air is compressable and oil is not so you would be walking on air as they say. Phil
That may be the reason, not really awake enough yet so was rambling a bit :)

saying that though it should be substantially lower cost and add a locking system???

n brown

Forum Member
this kind of thing could be ok if you only need to level the body, not including the chassis . need to work out how much lift you'd need on each corner

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Loads of reply's :)
Hydraulic Jack leak upside down. Even trying to jack it up for a wheel change is not easy with Betty's skirts.
Screw Jacks, "sounds" like a good idea. I parked near someone who'd fitted some. He wound them up and down with an electric impact gun.
I looked at just using a Hydraulic Ram, but that would be a big diameter ram to avoid bending. And the weight.
Pneumatics would be easier in one way as I have compressed air for braking and the drivers seat. As mentioned without some kind of lock in would be bouncy. I think it would get complicated.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I have about 500mm vertical space for the device, then about another 200mm to the ground. The carrier for the rear air suspension is quite low to the ground. I have to be careful as it will be used off road. Anything below it's ploughing blade could get ripped off!
I was thinking about making up some telescopic box section to house a small diameter ram. Anything over 3000kg force should be enough to level it.

n brown

Forum Member
the link was to introduce the idea . actuators are just screwjacks driven by a 12v motor in a convenient package ,and come in many different strengths and lengths. as many places are just a bit of a slope ,levelling just the body could be sufficient.
i had one of these systems https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...ZIBAzEuMZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab on an Austin Princess ambulance i converted ,heavy beast . it could lift the vehicle about 18 inches .some systems lifted all 4 corners with a pump ,others were operated individually with a jack handle operating a pump under the bonnet . might give you some ideas .

Millie Master

Forum Member
When we owned our sites over in France we used to have one visitor arrive in his enormous Concord/MAN motorhome. On arrival onto the pitch he would park it in the desired position and stop the engine and leave the truck to come out for a chat..... Then a few minutes later there would be various hisses and whirring noises and the truck would sink right down to the ground before then there were numerous beep/beep/blip/beep noises as 4 enormous rams descended with very large base plates and in only a few seconds his super luxury gin palace was hoisted up into the air 100% level.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I was more looking for inspiration from someone who has done it, but sadly and it's hard to imagine that maybe the posts on this sight are beyond the intellectual level of most and this keeps people away. Or they think we post a load of Boll...… Rubbish ;)

Edit. Sorry this was meant to be tongue in cheek, there was no intension to offend. If a moderator would like to remove this it might be for the best.

Last edited:

linkshouse

Forum Member
I was more looking for inspiration from someone who has done it, but sadly and it's hard to imagine that maybe the posts on this sight are beyond the intellectual level of most and this keeps people away. Or they think we post a load of Boll...… Rubbish ;)
Hmm, I don't want to get into a flame war but that response doesn't seem likely to encourage anyone to come forward if they do have any experience.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Nigel has done it in his post hasn’t he?

linear actuators would be good but retro fitting wouldn’t be easy I suspect, you would need to have them built up inside the body. Length with them would stop it I think but they are real good.

Two stage hydraulic rams I reckon but as I said only really worked in pneumatics and forgotten how to size and spec even if that was an option.

most people on here I think are converting panel vans so unlikely they think about self levelling. we do have some who have done wagons and busses but only Nigel has posted.

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I'm sure there are commercial solutions, but I'd like to build something myself. Even though we have everything to make hydraulic or pneumatic rams here I'll buy them in.
So a bit more about why I want to do this.
The Mercedes Vario has a body control module that appears to be able to do much more than it does on Betty. There are other electronic control modules on it. Engine management, Retarder, Air Suspension and I expect others. All communicated to by the body control module. On some coaches with full air suspension (still springs on the front) it's possible to make it kneel or level when parked. I only have rear air. Over a day or so it slowly lowers itself. I've replaced most of the pressurised parts and it still does it. Hence the easy way out is to jack the rear end. Because of the way it's made I'd rather not jack the body. Even to change a rear wheel it will not be fun as you can't reach under it with a normal jack.
From what I can tell, the suspension electronic module should be able lift it on demand, but as I'm unable to find anyone that is able to play with these parts.
Hence they way out of these fun and games is extendable lifting legs off the chassis. Fortunately I haven't closed this area in yet.
In the picture you can just make out the ends of the chassis I need to attach to.
The red beam that the bottle jack is on is the only sensible place to jack it up for a wheel change. It's sat on ramps at the moment that makes it look like there is more room under it than there really is.

IMG_0035.JPG

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)