Left or right bladed circular saw

MarkJ

Forum Member
I’m looking to buy a circular saw (not owned one before) and browsing round my local power tool shop (my, what a place... could be expensive) I noticed some saws have the blade on the right and some on the left.

Is this just personal preference? Can’t believe they make saws specially for left handed people, do they? Which do other right handlers like me find easier to use?

wildebus

Forum Member
interesting observation. something never noticed :)
I don't think they are handed for a specific reason. Just did a search on Amazon and looked at the piccys .... seems to depend on the make?
(I can't even remember what mine are!)
FWIW, I now use the mini-circular saw rather than the full-size one out of preference. not sure if you have looked at those as well? this is the one have:

91H2peU1B8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

MarkJ

Forum Member
Did a bit of googling too. Seems they always used to be on the right, but with the advent of cordless both are now available. I even watched a video devoted to the subject....🤒

I hadn’t seen those mini ones. Why do you use that? Just easier/lighter?

wildebus

Forum Member
The mini-saw is easier to handle and quicker for quick short cuts. It is easier (and safer!) to do a plunge cut as well as they are designed to do that unlike the full-sized ones.
I still use the full size one for long cuts as I have made guides for it so the cuts are totally straight.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Do you push or pull that mini Dave, blade looks wrong way round to me for pushing? Must admit I have hardly ever used one and then only attachment for drill. They have always frightened me a little same as band saws.

well fright not the right word, very cautious and respectful lol. Think it stems from meeting a guy when I was in hospital who took off one hand and half his other. The guy had a company that made shop blinds and had been doing it for years.

wildebus

Forum Member
Do you push or pull that mini Dave, blade looks wrong way round to me for pushing? Must admit I have hardly ever used one and then only attachment for drill. They have always frightened me a little same as band saws.

well fright not the right word, very cautious and respectful lol. Think it stems from meeting a guy when I was in hospital who took off one hand and half his other. The guy had a company that made shop blinds and had been doing it for years.
Normal operation - push away from you. Blade is right for that :)

Power Tool Respect is a very good thing to have! A moment of inattentiveness is all it takes to have a bad accident (and the phrase "familarity breeds contempt" can become only too true like maybe in the case of the chap you met? And that video that was posted with the metal disc spinning being done by people with no eye protection or other PPE? Nah, that was fine as they've been doing it for years as well, right?)

Circular Saw attachment for drill? would that be a blade attached to a bit fitted in the chuck or something? if that was the case it would frighten me too! no thanks on that one!
I have a neat little saw which could be frightening potentially ... mini chain-saw :D very handy for making plunge cuts for square sockets and the like.

GEOFF

I always thought they would cut down, finish face underneath then eh

A circlur saw should always be cutting such that the teeth are forcing the material onto the bench(table saw) or sloe plate(hand held power saw). Geoff.

Nabsim

Forum Member
A circlur saw should always be cutting such that the teeth are forcing the material onto the bench(table saw) or sloe plate(hand held power saw). Geoff.
Doesn’t that mean you would have to pull the mini one in that pic? Think I have a (another) mental block lol

GEOFF

No, it is the front of the blade where the teeth are pointing upwards that draw the material onto the sole plate. If the front of the blade had the teeth facing downwards the saw would try to run across the top of the media -- very dangerous. Geoff.

Bouydog

Forum Member
I also have a mini saw the Titan version from screwfix and find it very handy, even long cuts with a guide clamped to the job come out very well.

MarkJ

Forum Member
Thanks all. Interesting diversion!

I think I’ll get a right bladed one. You don’t have to cross your hands over the blade if you use it two-handed and since I’m nobody’s expert I’ll go for maximum safety...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)