IVECO LWB - Ex Military Ambulance - low mileage

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I'd be tempted at 4k, looks like it was used as some kind of support vehicle. Not sure how they think it would be suitable for overland though.

Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
I'd be tempted at 4k
1587300470428.png

No idea what reserve price the sellers have put on it though, I would go to 6K I think if I had the funds to buy her and do her up
Lottery win this week hopefully
:cool:

wildebus

Forum Member
Looks good. Trying to check the weight and this comes back ... "Revenue weight 6500 kg" . 6.5t on a van chassis? could that be right?

Edit: just saw the photo with the VIN plate... 6500. really is surprising. bet it is a strong chassis!

wildebus

Forum Member
I would probably seriously consider it. I remember driving past a parked Iveco van in a car park which I think is the same size and thinking that looks a brilliant size for a campervan (i.e. Enormous!).

For me, as far as driving goes, length and height don't matter that much but width does - and this is where (IMO) the motorhomes look like they could be a pain. When it comes to length, what difference does it make if a van is 6 metres or 7 metres - both will have the same constraints for parking - same as height. My LT is just under 6.5M and doesn't matter to me when driving.
Of course, as a living space, that smaller width is a compromise. Guess it depends how much driving/touring you plan to do and what kind of roads. A couple of years ago I was at a C&CC event and I was chatting to a guy who had a big American pickup truck and a fair sized Fifth wheel trailer. I asked him how it was to drive in the UK and he didn't think anything of it - and this was actually his 4th fifth wheel
In fact, this is his outfit (I didn't get an opportunity to look inside but it did look fantastic!)
1587335229533.png

trevskoda

Forum Member
Mine is a coach build on a 59/12 chassis cab and lots of room plus squire inside with a stainless steel box frame.

Attachments

• spray right.jpg
    spray right.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 345
  • bull bar.jpg
    bull bar.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 289
  • van c.jpg
    van c.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 319
  • van to back.jpg
    van to back.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 322
  • kitchen side.jpg
    kitchen side.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 310
  • forward from beds.jpg
    forward from beds.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 296
  • axle in b.jpg
    axle in b.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 309
  • wast tank c.jpg
    wast tank c.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 315

wildebus

Forum Member
I quite like the idea of a double-cab camper conversion :)
How would you convert the shutters to solid sides? just fit metal sheets in their place?

ScoTTyBEEE

Forum Member
I quite like the idea of a double-cab camper conversion :)
How would you convert the shutters to solid sides? just fit metal sheets in their place?
I'd be tempted to keep most of them. Imagine being able to open them all up in the summer, would be amazing, especially with awnings both sides. The only issue is windows, if there was some way to install flexible things that would be perfect.
Did you see all the electronics inside? It had a water heater, 4g looking stuff, generator, literally everything you could imagine!
I reckon that would have been around 200k new and it's only 9 years old. Sprinter ambulances are c£150,000 each and much smaller.

1589270996434.png

Last edited:

ScoTTyBEEE

Forum Member
From what I can see of the box construction, it might be tougher to convert than you might expect.
They always are lol! Wouldn't be for me, converting an amublance is hard enough and that's an empty box. I reckon with 10k in your back pocket you'd make an awesome van for a final price of just over 20k. The key to these things is working with what you have rather than replacing everything imho.

wildebus

Forum Member
I'd be tempted to keep most of them. Imagine being able to open them all up in the summer, would be amazing, especially with awnings both sides. The only issue is windows, if there was some way to install flexible things that would be perfect.
Did you see all the electronics inside? It had a water heater, 4g looking stuff, generator, literally everything you could imagine!
I reckon that would have been around 200k new and it's only 9 years old. Sprinter ambulances are c£150,000 each and much smaller.

View attachment 2414
now it's not 2AM and I have seen more photos, I would have a good plan for this :D

I go to a few VW Shows and have a reasonable sized marquee setup, which takes a fair few hours to setup...

Imagine rocking up to your pitch within this, roll out the awning, roll up the doors and you are all setup with your display and kit for sale :) you would have all the electrics for the internal living area her and visible as install examples, stock at the top to bring down, revealing information behind. Another door rolls up for all the tools for working on vans....
Convert the interior to be a - fairly compact probably - camper. Use one of the double-cab rear doors as the entrance into the camper area...
Better stop now before I go and put a bid in!

But reality check ... this is going to be a heavy van, deffo more than 3.5t and obviously a working van carrying goods. So Tacho (and cost of calibration), Operators Licenses and inspections, DVSA inspections and tests as won't be a "Motor Caravan" but a "Living Van" at best. Ah well ;)

Reactions: RAW

mistericeman

Forum Member
Just to keep you going, register it as a showman's vehicle? I think you have to do at least 3 shows. I think road tax is the minimum rate, but I don't know how much other stuff you can avoid.

Good luck with trying to pretend to be a 'showman'

It's a ( rightly)
Protected and preserved set of criteria

Millie Master

Forum Member
That original IVECO put up by Robert went for £5,500 which in what looks to be brilliant condition looks to be an absolute steel. Someone has bagged themselves an absolute bargain!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)