Iveco 2007 Library Van - Any good ??

RAW

Forum Member
That one is a far better bet than a tin worm Transit, however take some decent lighting with you and possibly some kind of ramps so that you can make a very thorough search underneath, not forgetting also a small hammer and some kind of sharp spike to check all areas for the dreaded tin munching monster.

Although they are far stronger than Transits because of their very meaty chassis, it might take quite a lot of work to get the body into decent/strong shape and I would have thought that £2.5k is a bit top side price wise as the interior is very basic and somewhat scruffy.

Phil
Thanks for that Phil, will get the hammer out and the Leatherman
Plus the work LIght !!

RAW

Forum Member
So I had a look at the Iveco and seemed solid and engine sounded good but sadly the inside was poorly designed, leisure battery and electrics in a state. So she would make a good base vehicle for someone but would need some modifications, personally I would do a full redesign as not a great layout and bed quite narrow. The person who turned it into a Camper designed for one rather than two. I reckon it would go for £2000 if anyone wants to have it.

Millie Master

Forum Member
I reckon it would go for £2000 if anyone wants to have it.

Rob; looking at that again as I have just done, taking into account the mileage and the very poor design and execution of the interior, I honestly do believe that £1.5k would be absolute tops and possibly quite a lot less than that!

When I bought my 2008 100k mile LWB Renault Master, ok it hadn't been converted but it only cost me slightly over £3k and that of course has a fully galvanised body, so zero rust!

Phil

RAW

Forum Member
Rob; looking at that again as I have just done, taking into account the mileage and the very poor design and execution of the interior, I honestly do believe that £1.5k would be absolute tops and possibly quite a lot less than that!

When I bought my 2008 100k mile LWB Renault Master, ok it hadn't been converted but it only cost me slightly over £3k and that of course has a fully galvanised body, so zero rust!

Phil
Hiya Phil

A galvanised body would be great. I am not sure what vehicles have Galvanised bodies though, do you know? I will tell the folk selling that an experienced builder (not to mention your name) has suggested £1500 tops for it.
Thanks fo the feedback - I really like this one on EBay but sadly it is a long way from me. I have contacted the seller though anyway. Would be interested to know what you think of that.

Cheers
Robert

Millie Master

Forum Member
Hiya Phil
A galvanised body would be great. I am not sure what vehicles have Galvanised bodies though, do you know?
Robert

No problem Robert; the Renault Master/Vauxhall Movano/Nissan ??? all went fully galvanised from 2004 onwards, then from 2007 onwards the Sevel made vans all went fully galvanised as well (Citroen Relay, Peugeot Boxer, Fiat Ducato).

I believe that from the above dates, that other vans within their respective ranges also went galvanised, but don't quote me on that.

That was very much the status quo until finally the Iveco Daily vans went fully galvanised in somewhere around 2017/18.

Finally with the arrival of the very latest body style Mercedes Sprinter, this iconic manufacturer finally and very long overdue, bit the bullet and went fully galvanised, if that includes the VW equivalents I am afraid I don't know. However forseveral years, although going down the same production lines the VW Crafters have always appeared to have been far more rust resistant for heaven knows what reason?

The first two dates I am certain about, and I know that finally the Iveco did join the club as indeed the Mercedes but as for the finite dates, someone else will have to confirm them for you.

Although I am a Renault Master fan as indeed is the learned @Edina, but would I convert one again, possibly not as the Sevel vans are wider and far more vertical sides which makes working on them so very much easier, but as a driving experience, personally I far prefer the Master/Movano as do indeed so many ambulance drivers!

Phil

• Thank You
Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
You'd have to invest some time and money to fix stuff noted but looks decent :)
Thanks David, shame it is so far away, nevertheless I have emailed him again.
I was hoping he could meet me halfway or something but sadly he can no longer drive the Vehicle due to his Class C being removed by DVLA for medical reasons. Will see what happens.
On another note I sent you £20 via PayPal yesterday so hope you got it OK ?

Cheers
Robert

wildebus

Forum Member
I did, thanks. Will be posting the controller away this afternoon :)

could you message me your address details again please (not sure if I have them still thinking about it)

RAW

Forum Member
I did, thanks. Will be posting the controller away this afternoon :)

could you message me your address details again please (not sure if I have them still thinking about it)
Have done that just now via the messaging system here and do you know anywhere reputable for cheap recon LB please? (Or anyone else)

Thanks Robert

Millie Master

Forum Member

Rob; having looked at the MOT history, if you feel confident enough that you can look into the air brake problem and make a thorough check of the rust comments then it looks to be OK.

The only thing that I would say is that is a big wagon and as such the places you can visit or stop at would be limited and I believe most commercial sites would have serious reservations about letting you on.............. and then finally, the fuel economy will not be that great in comparrison, you ought to expect to get somewhere in the mid 30's out of a more modern panel van whereas one of those would be lucky to see anything better than 20 and that would be at absolute best and I would think closer to 15 which starts to make driving here and there bloody expensive!!

Phil

RAW

Forum Member
Rob; having looked at the MOT history, if you feel confident enough that you can look into the air brake problem and make a thorough check of the rust comments then it looks to be OK.

The only thing that I would say is that is a big wagon and as such the places you can visit or stop at would be limited and I believe most commercial sites would have serious reservations about letting you on.............. and then finally, the fuel economy will not be that great in comparrison, you ought to expect to get somewhere in the mid 30's out of a more modern panel van whereas one of those would be lucky to see anything better than 20 and that would be at absolute best and I would think closer to 15 which starts to make driving here and there bloody expensive!!

Phil
Thanks Phil, spoke to the owner today and he said he used to run the Truck in Europe, 5000 mile trips and got between 22 and 25 MPG - guess with Diesel the price it is then it would make the Vehicle pretty expensive to drive. However, chap who owned it said he had some people coming to View this weekend so it might go anyway.

All the best
Robert

trevskoda

Forum Member
Following on from this, and as the Marketplace seller did not get back to me with a video as he said he would, plus he's about 2.5 hours drive away, I came across another older Iveco on Marketplace which is geographically closer and looks like it could be good for me to have a base for smartening up a bit more. Going to have a look tomorrow. MOT Check shows some rust but would be interested in anyone's input on this one
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/742047246218891/

TIA
Same as mine,change the cam belt and they go forever,front panel comes of to do any work.

Reactions: RAW

trevskoda

Forum Member
Long as its not rotten I reckon 2.5k doesn't sound a fortune, especially with the Motor Caravan body type already sorted. If its coming with a full mot it needs checking to make sure its legit, but should point to it being at least half right.
I run an Iveco & love it, it is the 3.0 litre & also has a Mellor body built on it but the 2.8 seems a reliable lump too & as said the chassis is usually solid & very butch especially as this is a 4.2tonner...
Yep tuf as boots,2.8 good bit of kit.

Attachments

• axle in b.jpg
    axle in b.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 339
  • axle in a.jpg
    axle in a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 354
  • wast tankb.jpg
    wast tankb.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 311
  • wast tank a.jpg
    wast tank a.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 296
  • wast tank c.jpg
    wast tank c.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 342
  • axle  1.jpg
    axle 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 574

trevskoda

Forum Member
So I had a look at the Iveco and seemed solid and engine sounded good but sadly the inside was poorly designed, leisure battery and electrics in a state. So she would make a good base vehicle for someone but would need some modifications, personally I would do a full redesign as not a great layout and bed quite narrow. The person who turned it into a Camper designed for one rather than two. I reckon it would go for £2000 if anyone wants to have it.
I bought mine of a d--k head and had to rip it all out and start from scratch,i hate folk who get black & decker tools for xmas. :LOL:

Greggbear67

Forum Member
I bought mine of a d--k head and had to rip it all out and start from scratch,i hate folk who get black & decker tools for xmas. :LOL:

Surely better for them to have a go tho trev, you never know your own capabilities till you have a try. My bus is probably not every ones cuppa tea, but I like it & I like to sit in it & remember the time I spent building it, & time spent in the company of my buddy who helped too....

Millie Master

Forum Member
Surely better for them to have a go tho trev, you never know your own capabilities till you have a try. My bus is probably not every ones cuppa tea, but I like it & I like to sit in it & remember the time I spent building it, & time spent in the company of my buddy who helped too....

I totally agree with you Gregg, I quite often go and have a sit in my 'Millie' and in so doing a warm glow spreads throughout my body and the very same thought goes flooding through my mind.............. "bloody hell, I made this"!

It is an amazing and self gratifying feeling that no one else can possibly experience if they haven't plucked up the courage to to take the plunge.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Well I sit in my factory built motorhome and think it great so you don’t have to have built it yourself lol
I do love to see what folks a lot more capable than me can do though and if a van fits what you want that’s all that matters. I have friends with vans from top spec motorhomes to Combi vans with a bed in it and they nearly all like what they have

RAW

Forum Member
Well I sit in my factory built motorhome and think it great so you don’t have to have built it yourself lol
I do love to see what folks a lot more capable than me can do though and if a van fits what you want that’s all that matters. I have friends with vans from top spec motorhomes to Combi vans with a bed in it and they nearly all like what they have

As my good friend Peter (Peter51 on the other sites) said, when he started the whole motor-homing thing, the first Van you get is unlikely to fit your needs if you have never done the camper van thing before. I think this is true and may start a thread on this question in another group. After nearly a year with Sylvia and spending quite a bit on her with Solar, LPG and other mechanical things I have decided she does not fit my needs as too small and the continual issue without having a fixed bed set-up. Consequently that is why Sylvia will be for sale soon and I am looking eagerly for something bigger.
See motorhomebuilder.com/threads/for-sale-soon-sylvia-talbot-talisman-gl-with-lpg-conversion.66860

Cheers
Robert

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)