Inverter Question.

Greggbear67

Forum Member
My next job is solar panels, then I plan to fit an inverter to run a counter top domestic fridge. Fridge will be mounted near the front of the bus but my leisure batteries are under the bed at the rear. My question is:- Will the inverter be better mounted near the batteries with a long cable run at 240v to the fridge, or mounted near the fridge with a long cable run at 12v from the batteries? Also any advice on size of inverter. Will only be used to run fridge. Any insight or advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

wildebus

Forum Member
My next job is solar panels, then I plan to fit an inverter to run a counter top domestic fridge. Fridge will be mounted near the front of the bus but my leisure batteries are under the bed at the rear. My question is:- Will the inverter be better mounted near the batteries with a long cable run at 240v to the fridge, or mounted near the fridge with a long cable run at 12v from the batteries? Also any advice on size of inverter. Will only be used to run fridge. Any insight or advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
Always BUT ALWAYS the inverter should be as close to the battery as possible. No Exceptions to that.

Assuming fridge is a compressor model, the inverter must be capable of dealing with any inrush current when it starts up, and not sized just for the running demand.

Greggbear67

Forum Member
Thanks for that buddy. Never used one before but my 12volt fridge box shenanigans last weekend did not inspire confidence. Was advised to follow this route so hopefully no more flat batteries & sour milk/warm beer...😋

wildebus

Forum Member
Thanks for that buddy. Never used one before but my 12volt fridge box shenanigans last weekend did not inspire confidence. Was advised to follow this route so hopefully no more flat batteries & sour milk/warm beer...😋
Coolboxes are good for lunchtime picnics but they are very hungry on the power :(
If the route is nice and long from Batteries to Fridge, I would be inclined to fit an MCB close to the Inverter AC outlet (same as you have in your home 240V consumer unit) for a bit of extra protection (get a DP one to connect Live and Neutral through for the best protection - MCB + Consumer Unit maybe £25 tops?)
And you probably know this already, but in case anyone finds this thread via an internet search, it is important to use multi-strand flexible cable (aka "flex") to run the lead. Standard household mains cable with either a solid single core, or multi-core is not suitable for use in a vehicle.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)