Interesting Comparison of Boards

mb2tv

Forum Member
I am not sure of the plywood as I thought the lighter material has more layers.
As for the second one, when I was looking for light material I came across this ply that has foam inside, very similar to yours. I saw it in an Arnold Laver warehouse, the problem was they stopped retailing it and had only two boards slightly damaged. I will try and look for the brochure I saw it in. It was very lightweight and strong, had they continued to stock it I would have considered it to my build. If I remember the guy said they stopped manufacturing it. Shame, as it is ideal for such builds.

Actually found the material in this link:

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
That does look very similar. I am sure it is good quality stuff, but something I was a touch wary of is how well it took fastenings? As you might guess from the piece I posted, this was a hole made to take a socket that would have a plug pushing in and pulling out and I was concerned that there was only this initial 3mm of ply to grab the fastening screws (typically you would go at least half-way in to give a good purchase). So decided to use over-length screws that grabbed on both faces, knowing they would stick out the other side :( . In this case it was ok as was in the battery box and under a false shelf. But other occasios might not be able to do that.

trevskoda

Forum Member
In the boat industry there is a lookalike wood paneling which is light strong and fireproof, name of it I canny remember but its used in super yachts.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)