Insurance while being converted

REC

Forum Member
Finally bought our van for conversion. But trying to work out what to do about insurance while it's being done, needs van insurance initially but then it will be changed on v5 to motorcars an so the van insurance will have to be cancelled and new policy taken out? How have others done this without costing an arm and leg in short term policy charges?

Deleted member 4404

I used adrian flux, they gave me 12 months to complete the work and classed it as a motor caravan in conversion. When it was changed I sent them a copy of the new V5 and at the renewal date got a significant drop in premium.
Some of the others I tried wanted the conversion completed in 3 months, which I couldn't guarantee doing.

LibertyHall

Forum Member
As above we used AF when the first years was up we simply rang and renewed for another year!! Yes we’re slow but thorough. Also once completed we insured with them with a agreed value policy!! Which I would recommend doing after your investment.

REC

Forum Member
As above we used AF when the first years was up we simply rang and renewed for another year!! Yes we’re slow but thorough. Also once completed we insured with them with a agreed value policy!! Which I would recommend doing after your investment.
Agreed value policy is an excellent idea....that was another question I was going to ask! The van retailer wanted us to take GAP insurance to cover the replacement value of the van in the first year, but, as we pointed out, it was going to end up worth more than the van replacement cost once completed.

Millie Master

Forum Member
I used AF for the first year and after the conversion I went along to Scenic as quite unlike the people I spoke to at AF, these guys actually know what they are talking about and show an interest in what you have done!
I have also heard of good comments about motorhome & self build insurance uk who can be found on facebook, the boss is I believe Dave Brewer, he might be worth contacting.

wildebus

Forum Member
AIB (discount available to full members) do Campervan Insurance for yet-to-be converted Self-Builds. They officially give you 3 months but I get the feeling that is flexible (when I called to confirm I had a reclassification they didn't seem to bothered one way or the other).
There is another company I have used - A-Plan - that offer extended conversion timescales. In fact with my VW Shuttle, I converted it but decided not to reclassify but that made no difference to having Camper insurance.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)