Insurance for self build?

dydigital

My friends looking for insurance for his self build, he wants insurance while he is converting his van, its part converted.

Deadsfo

My friends looking for insurance for his self build, he wants insurance while he is converting his van, its part converted.

ADRIAN FLUX insured mine, now in the second year of build(nearly finished now) and have'nt been hassled to get it finished

mandrake

yes adrian flux is i would say the easiest company to get insurance for self builds through ,i am not keen on them realy with having dealings with them in the past ,but there a means to an end and will insure many risks without a great deal of red tape as many other insurance companies or should i say brokers seem to require. may i say i have insured my car through debenhams and found them the nicest people to deal with .i am unsure if they deal with motorhome or self builds so maybe my recommendation will be of little interest to you all but its nice to be able to give good comments about an insurance company instead of tales of woe .

hextal

There are a fair few companies out there and many I found to be cheaper than adrian flux, however , they all required tge conversion completed within 3-4 months, whereas AF didn't give a deadline. So that swung it.

MikeH

Flux for me too, been with them about 5 years for my self build camper and other times with classic cars etc. Never had a problem with them and always been treated well when I had to speak to them over the phone.

Last renewal I haggled and got about £100 off my premium. I paid £245 and think thats hard to beat.

My only grumble with them is their breakdown service, Flux Rescue. At £85 per year its a bargain, but you need to take it out within 2 weeks of your insurance starting. I have been with AA for about 5 years and unfortunately it renews about 4 months later than my insurance, so I`d either be doubling up for 4 months or doing without breakdown cover for 8 months. Still, when AA was due for renewal, I haggled again and got it down to £90 from £135.

trevskoda

Forum Member
flux for me £240 year and have had van 2 years doing rebuild convert ,but it is already on book as camper and just the fixed value to sort when compleat.will have to look at b/down cover as my aa wont cover van at plated 6.4 ton,they only cover to 3.5.

Dowel

Forum Member
Hello, hope it is ok to resurrect this thread with a query.

I am thinking of doing a simple but “DVLA Motor Caravan” compliant DIY conversion of a SWB Ducato, Transit or Vivaro van. Spoke to the chap at AIB who was not very encouraging about self builds. He suggested it would take loads of time, not be worthwhile and that insurance as a van would be very expensive until conversion complete.

I am ignoring the first two objections as the point of DIY for me is to get something suited to our particular needs not to make a profit.

On the basis of posts on this thread, insurance for about £240 strikes me as not particularly expensive. OK its about 30% more than I pay for an older professional conversion of panel van to Motor Caravan but AF sound helpfully flexible about progress and I would want to complete as quickly as possible, subject to the normal unforeseens and snags that might hold things up a bit.

Am I missing something in an excess of overly optimistic enthusiasm?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

JoMutch

Will probably get shot down for this, but being a member of the CCC I had no hassle converting mine, just needed plenty of photos at various stages and got a generous 120 days to convert. As for insurance itself, including Full European Breakdown it was less that £260 and thats for an Iveco 45c14

Acegadgets

I recently went with Adrian Flux. You get a much better deal if you phone them directly rather than doing it all online.

Dowel

Forum Member
Thanks both for your replies that encourage me to look further into a DIY conversion.

JoMutch, Interesting that C&CC cover you as I had previous dealings about their Club Care Insurance with Ageas. Although fairly priced they only offered me a policy for a “Motor Caravan” as they said this was all they could cover!

Had to google your Iveco 45c14, looks like an impressively big boy. Did you start from the van or minibus version?

Off topic, hard to find a translation for Gaelic but I think (apologies if I have it wrong) the first means Scotland for ever so are you a Scot transplanted to Lincolnshire? Can’t work the second quote out, something about watching a traveller?

Longboard

Flux and re-registering.

I was impressed that Adrian Flux don't require a conversion to be re-registered with the DVLA.
This could be hopeless with a stealth camper - if it doesn't LOOK like a camper they won't register it as one.
Was very relieved to find Flux after being generally obstructed by all other companies on pointless technicalities.
In what universe is a campervan a high risk vehicle?!

big tree

Performance Direct

I insured with performancedirect.co.uk very good price. They offer breakdown recovery etc, just send them monthly update pictures of your coversion. I have been on with them a year next month, they have been 1st class.

big tree

Performance Direct

I insured with performancedirect.co.uk very good price. They offer breakdown recovery etc, just send them monthly update pictures of your coversion. I have been on with them a year next month, they have been 1st class.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)