I do love Landies, this ex ambulance Series 2A has definitive possibilities... mmmmmmmmmmmm

Millie Master

Forum Member
Would I love this, my gaud I would, but I would have to start the conversion all over again

11008079.jpg

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1070525

mistericeman

Forum Member
I VERY nearly bought a marshal ambulance body (marshal were the military converters) to go on the back of one of my landrovers.....
Rented a trailer and drove down to Neath in South Wales to collect it.....
20 minutes sat inside it made me realise just how small and claustrophobic it would have been inside (even IF I'd added a Mazda Bongo pop top as my plan was)

Then there was the weight of the thing.... They are hugely heavy...
And frankly without a 200/300 tdi painfully underpowered and thirsty...
I can get my 2 1/4 petrol powered FFR down to single figures loaded with camping gear and trailer on.

Definitely sit in the back of one before buying one ;-)

Darcar

Forum Member
Ahh Phil
Take off your rose tinted glasses..... it’s a land rover, bulkhead rust is only excusable, with a body off resto.
I used to be a fan of the green oval, but they beat me in the end...
so i now use a JEEP wrangler for my green Laning, it’s been brilliant.

Darren.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Ahh Phil
Take off your rose tinted glasses..... it’s a land rover, bulkhead rust is only excusable, with a body off resto.

Darren.

Love them or hate them Darren, a Landie, most especially a Series has/had a character all of their own and mind you "Blue Louis" my 300TDi Defender 90 also had character by the absolute bucket. Every single journey I ever drove in either of mine always resulted in an inner smile of deep seated love and appreciation for them.
The problem is/was that technology had left them behind and their fate had been sealed almost from their conception by the damned bean counting accountants that wrecked the entire UK car industry!!

Phil

fifthwheel

Ahh Phil

Darren.
They beat me as well Darren, they are pure shyte always were.

mistericeman

Forum Member
I think back in the day they were significantly less shyte than a lot of other stuff....
However many years of idiotic British management and laying back on laurels meant that they have been left way behind in the Defender format....
Frankly the Defender should have been taken out and shot about 25 years ago....
Slow and painful to build with a low, profit margin per unit....
It's Taken TATA to finally turn the life support machine off and build something that actually sold.

I still love the 5 series landrovers I own ;-) including my 2 ex military FFR s

Garywrench

Ahh Phil

Darren.
Aha another greenlaner! I’ve been laning 20 years nearly, bought a brand new Jimny 15 years back and fitted locking diffs/crawler transfer box /ARB winch bumper etc.. dealer wasn’t very happy when it went back for a recall 2 months old :) . I’m on two wheels now on a 250 Enduro bike.

Garywrench

thats cool, Whitestones, Pheasant Steps (before it was graded :( ) and over towards Barmouth. I do miss my 4x4 days but so much cheaper on a bike, throw it in the camper and ride all day for £6 ! Better than £50 in the Jimny.
689EC03A-764D-40CA-9592-DE085E06BD3E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

mistericeman

Forum Member
To be honest I don't actually do much greenlaning anymore as most of the best ones have been closed to vehicles....
Especially in my local peak district... Great shame BUT to be honest we spend more time heading off for weekends in the motorhome these days.

Garywrench

Lots of lanes are bike only , so not too bad on a motorbike, but yes I miss Stanage Edge and Chapel Gate etc. I ride up in Cumbria and Northumberland a lot so the camper gets me and my bike there and somewhere to sleep for a few days :)

Darcar

Forum Member
I go out most weeks, with a couple of mates, I love green lanes there’s some really fun lanes not to far away.
I’m not extremely though, I don’t like breaking my truck as I like to drive it home after...
I joined Glass a few years ago and have been out on a lot of the trips they run, for a change in scenery.
It’s a bit controversial now what with all the “do gooders ”

Darcar.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)