How long should my new van be?

terry111

Hi

I have had a motorhome for many years and am now looking to replace it with a panel van converted to my own specification. I like the idea of a panel van because it will be narrower and should be able to get me to more of those out of the way places.

One problem with my motorhome is that the overhang at the back can make it difficult when reversing up a slope and sometimes it's been a problem when going on to small ferries (because it scrapes on the ground!)

I do want the new van to be as long as possible (so I can get everything in) and I am considering the extra long Peugeot Boxer (6.363m).

Does anyone have any experience of this van? If so, I would be grateful for advice as to its suitability.

Thanks

Aladdinsane

I have converted a Citreon Relay L4 H3 (x250, Fiat, Peugeot) And found it great, good fuel economy, 40mpg at a steady 65. Wide enough for a full length fixed bed across the rear. Not been on a ferry with it yet but from experience with a previous coach built I don't anticipate any problems with the overhang on this van. There are a few of these vans being converted on the SBMCC forum.

Last edited:

hextal

From memory the ferry and toll companies have a 6m length cut-off above which you pay a hefty whack more. May or may not be a consideration.

ellisboy

Mines 6m long,no problems on ferries,as said earlier its a good van to convert and very economical .

westbay

We stuck with a Sprinter to keep below the dreaded 6m cut off on ferries / tunnels / bridges etc. 5.5m inc back step and we get kitchen / two beds / diner / toilet etc.

hextal

Also bear in mind that some vans have longer snouts than others so you don't always get the same load space. for example my 5.5m movano has similar loadspace to a 6m iveco as it has a stubby nose.

John H

Can't offer any advice on the van but I've just booked my 7 metre long one onto the Calais-Dover ferry for April at the massive cost of £30 - so I wouldn't worry too much about limiting the length to save money on ferries! Happy new year.

Wooie1958

Forum Member
Can't offer any advice on the van but I've just booked my 7 metre long one onto the Calais-Dover ferry for April at the massive cost of £30 - so I wouldn't worry too much about limiting the length to save money on ferries! Happy new year.

Hi John, Did you have to save up or did you take out a loan to pay for the ferry ?.................LOL

People seem obsessed with the 6m rule, were as i`ve found that prices only start going up when you go over 8m and then can get a little silly once you go over 10m.

I understand that the sub 6m ones are more usable on a day to day basis i.e. they fit in car park spaces etc. and they also tend to have
a very short rear overhang for boarding ferries etc. but a way around that can be to catch the ferry at high tide and i`ve always found
a quick phone call the the ferry operator to ask their advice works wonders.

Croftland1

Eurotunnel don't even ask for the length. They just want the vehicle type, (campervan,) and the registration.

maingate

Forum Member
We don't do Europe. One of the reasons is 6 dogs at £30 a pop each way. :(

It makes for an expensive voyage. :)

terry111

I have converted a Citreon Relay L4 H3 (x250, Fiat, Peugeot) And found it great, good fuel economy, 40mpg at a steady 65. Wide enough for a full length fixed bed across the rear. Not been on a ferry with it yet but from experience with a previous coach built I don't anticipate any problems with the overhang on this van. There are a few of these vans being converted on the SBMCC forum.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I have checked the dimensions and they are exactly the same as the Peugeot Boxer - it's probably the same van with a different badge on it. My idea is to have a rear fixed bed which would be fairly high so I can get a garage underneath for bikes etc. I would have a shower / toilet across the middle of the van (walk through the shower to the bed - like a Hymer Car 372). It's very much in the planning stage and I'll get the work done professionally - I've talked to Horizons (who I was impressed with) but will go and see Youngs too.

hextal

To be honest im more focused on the Scandinavian tolls/ferries which from memory trebbled when you got past 6m. Not sure if they are as bad now. But our plans generally revolved around lots of driving in that area so it was a consideration

Edit: just had a look at a couple and its generally only 50% to 100% more now for over 6m so not as bad as it was but still works out at an extra 10-40 notes each way per bridge, and there are a fair few around those parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)