Help Wiring?

shortcircuit

the reason i use conduit cable -its mutistrand

NOPE. It is for a fixed installation only and not a MH. It may well be multi-strand but not enough multi-strands and therefore subject to cores breaking.

Tony Lee

The OP has stated he does NOT have the knowledge to carry out anything but the simplest 12V wiring and certainly not mains wiring.

Are those who insist on coaching by remote control going to accept full responsibility for anything that goes wrong?? Full names and addresses perhaps???

No, I thought not.

Duty of Care defined

herbenny

Sue I wish I was full of knowledge and wisdom about these things as I would be there like a shot to offer you help ...however I know nowt about electrics and gadgety stuff..but I do know your van is is going to be lovely when finished. It looks great and I am really looking forward to seeing its progress along the way :wave:

daisymini

Cheers Herbenny! Its frustrating, as like you I have no knowledge and having to learn along the way...Its fun learning new things but it takes twice as long..;)

daisymini

Having built my own camper I offer these words of advise. Try to mount your bottle so that it is accessible from the outside, in a locker that is sealed from the rest of the camper. As the gas is heavier than sir and will sink try to have a vent at the bottom. I also installed a gas detector in my bottle storage. If it has to be inside the van then make sure you have a gas detector that will detect both carbon monoxide and propane/butane.. They are Vailable on eBay.
If you get stuck with the wiring and fancy a trip down to Suffolk then I am on holiday from the 10th nov for a week and will give you a hand woth it.

Thanks Winterhawk, but the van is full of ply and wood and not quite ready for the road otherwise i would have snapped your hand off..!!!

Deleted member 951

The OP has stated he does NOT have the knowledge to carry out anything but the simplest 12V wiring and certainly not mains wiring.

Are those who insist on coaching by remote control going to accept full responsibility for anything that goes wrong?? Full names and addresses perhaps???

No, I thought not.

Duty of Care defined

The OP did state that SHE does not have any knowledge to carry out........ etc etc. This could be said about any issues that arise when people ask for advice. I notice that you yourself have given advice several times in the past without leaving your name and address.

So what are you suggesting, we stop giving advice on the forum?

No I thought not.

kimbowbill

I'm not as brave as Sue, and when it comes down to things like electrics and gas, i'm afraid i would have to pay a professional, just a little example, i have a cig lighter socket wired up to my leisure for laptop, its tucked down the side of the bed, i fell asleep on night with laptop on, i woke up, thought i had a hot wattle bottle next to me, it was the wires, they were red hot, i'm not been a drama queen and saying they could have caught fire, but............... they could have, you need to be very careful with anything electrical, even if its only 12v. be careful lass, i want you at our next ladies meet :heart:

mariesnowgoose

Advice is just that - advice.

You take it or not.

The onus is on yourself alone to make sure you do things properly.

mariesnowgoose

Some people I know locally did their own (fabulous!) conversion on a Iveco van.

They did everything themselves apart from the wiring.
For that they employed a good auto-electrician.

Didn't cost too much, a couple of hundred give or take? He installed the zig unit - I think maybe they wired up all the appliances from there themselves?
I'm sure there are electricians on here who would have a good idea on cost.

You can be the electricians mate, so you're learning while they're doing it. :)

Firefox

If you are getting someone else to do the electrics it probably has to be done after the rest of the build and the wiring may not be quite so neat. Otherwise they have to get involved with working round the insulation and the cabinet work and the boarding doing like 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fix electrics - major time input on a few different visits

On the other hand the wiring will be a lot more accessible if fixed after, even if some of it is in conduits fixed to the surface.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)