Heating the van with the gas hob

boisdevie

I'm about to fit a two burner gas hob in the van which will run off bottled gas. Is there any reason why, when I need heating, I can't just turn on the hob?

I understand the potential problem of condensation which I'd keep an eye on. I also understand the danger of carbon monoxide but I have a detector. And no, I wouldn't leave it on whilst I slept.

Nesting Zombie

I'm about to fit a two burner gas hob in the van which will run off bottled gas. Is there any reason why, when I need heating, I can't just turn on the hob?

I understand the potential problem of condensation which I'd keep an eye on. I also understand the danger of carbon monoxide but I have a detector. And no, I wouldn't leave it on whilst I slept.

I actually have a mate on a small 16foot boat that done just as you suggest, & its GREAT that you recognise the Hazards & Dangers, & when you think about it, IF your only having the hob on for a short time, There is an argument that there is little difference than if you was Making a Cuppa !. My FULL 2.5lt kettle could take 15mins or so to boil at a guess !.
BUT BUT BUT, I would not only think of the Co & The Condensation factors that you have already identified, But you are now adding a Naked & probably in protected Flame into the mix as well. & the Hob is already Half way up in the Vehicle & heat rises !. Honestly NOT a good solution in my book, Please consider an alternative heat source for Safety sake.

Last edited by a moderator:

witzend

Forum Member
Nice to have a heater low down so you can sit in front of it some thing like a half size super ser kampa do one i think

colinmd

This is what killed my friend, ok he didn't have a CO detector, but you will now be relying on your CO alarm to keep you alive. It's a bit like driving without a seat belt, fine if you don't have an accident, but don't come whinging on here if you die.

Alf

So you fall asleep with the hob lit, its now a fire hazard if anything should fall or blow on the hob naked light, ..... if you value your life, family, friends and van fit a proper heater.

Alf

ScamperVan

Because it isn't sensible - they said so. But.... I'm struggling to see the diff between leaving the hob burning with no pan on top and us using a low flame for an hour or so whilst we "slow cook" something?
But,when we boil the kettle/make dinner, all that happens is the heat from the gas burner takes the edge off - it doesn't allow us to sit comfortably in 2 layers, so I suppose it depends on your personal, desired level of comfort.
You'd maybe need to include more info about your van to get a practical response.

My assumption in all the above is that you would never rely on this form of heating if you weren't, or ever thought you might be, in a state where you wouldn't be able to switch it off.

Cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 951

I used to do this on a boat.

I would put a blue engineering brick or 2 on the hob and heat it up for 15 or 20 minutes, it would then release heat for a while like a storage heater.

I wouldn't do it for hours, but for short times it would be ok. (as you do when you cook a meal!)

mark61

Forum Member
Depends how you intend to use it. Last van didn't have heating, so used the hob to heat up van, but only for short periods.
If a proper heater is in the budget, it does make sense to fit one. It's more comfortable and who wants to sit around and relax with the hob on. In fact you probably won't relax, the burner will be on your mind.

boisdevie

I don't have a proper heater or the budget for one. I test my CO detector regularly and will not just fall asleep with the hob lit - I don't drink (ever) and I don't do drugs so I'm not going to just fall asleep by accident. So, where is the danger exactly?
And comments such as NO NO NO without any argument are of no use whatsoever.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I would fit a indirect caravan gas heater which exhausts below the van,requiring a hole cut in floor but cheep as chips to buy ,or a diesel night heater,both are safe.
Never a open flame other than for cooking,at night you may fall to sleep,forever.

oppy

Because it isn't sensible - they said so. But.... I'm struggling to see the diff between leaving the hob burning with no pan on top and us using a low flame for an hour or so whilst we "slow cook" something?
But,when we boil the kettle/make dinner, all that happens is the heat from the gas burner takes the edge off - it doesn't allow us to sit comfortably in 2 layers, so I suppose it depends on your personal, desired level of comfort.
You'd maybe need to include more info about your van to get a practical response.

My assumption in all the above is that you would never rely on this form of heating if you weren't, or ever thought you might be, in a state where you wouldn't be able to switch it off.

Cheers!!

The 'diff.' is that while you are cooking or boiling a kettle, you tend generally to be awake and compus mentis, overnight you are neither, and you just might wake up dead.

trevskoda

Forum Member
The 'diff.' is that while you are cooking or boiling a kettle, you tend generally to be awake and compus mentis, overnight you are neither, and you just might wake up dead.
Oh no not another zombie.:scared::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

delicagirl

whilst you are cooking most of the heat generated by the gas flames goes into the saucepan and its contents. if there are no saucepans then the heat will rise. how far is it from the hob to the ceiling and the walls? you will need a window open to ventilate when any gas appliance is on... if wind gets into the van and blows out the gas flame on the hob and you are asleep ??? then what ???

when i had just bought my first van 2.5 years ago i asked my gas engineer exactly this same question which OP is asking - he didn't really need to say a word the look on his face said it all and eventually he said NO with such vehemence..... i accepted it was a dangerous thing to do.

i hope you plan to get a qualified gas engineer to check out your gas self-installation for you before you go off out in the van ? many here don't seem to, but i am especially cautious around gas.

mark61

Forum Member
I used to do this on a boat.

I would put a blue engineering brick or 2 on the hob and heat it up for 15 or 20 minutes, it would then release heat for a while like a storage heater.

I wouldn't do it for hours, but for short times it would be ok. (as you do when you cook a meal!)

Been thinking of doing something similar. How long did the bricks hold heat for?
My diesel heater is either chucking out so much hot air, it turns the van into a sauna, or it's a luke warm draft. I should have put more outlets in.

Deleted member 951

Been thinking of doing something similar. How long did the bricks hold heat for?
My diesel heater is either chucking out so much hot air, it turns the van into a sauna, or it's a luke warm draft. I should have put more outlets in.

Not all that long really Mark. Maybe half an hour or so.

But it was enough to keep the chill off of the air until I climbed into bed, I can't stand having heating on when I'm in bed, even though I have to put up with it at home! We had an oven on the boat, so sometimes we would chuck a blue brick in the oven whilst cooking a meal. The oven itself warmed the boat up nicely and the brick then continued the process for a while afterwards.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Not all that long really Mark. Maybe half an hour or so.

But it was enough to keep the chill off of the air until I climbed into bed, I can't stand having heating on when I'm in bed, even though I have to put up with it at home! We had an oven on the boat, so sometimes we would chuck a blue brick in the oven whilst cooking a meal. The oven itself warmed the boat up nicely and the brick then continued the process for a while afterwards.

Just thinking,when out in my workshop i have pockets in trousers,what about a brick in each to keep my n--s warm.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)