Great service and good value van insulation

• Thread starter wandering photographer
  • Start date

wandering photographer

Just wanted to say I received excellent service from Steven at West Country Campervans, paypal had messed up my order and Steven's communication was prompt and friendly and we quickly rectified the situation.

Once ordered the insulation arrived the next day and was of superb quality.

Not sure if it's ok to post a link in this manner but here it is: Van insulation foil roll for vans and campervans. | West Country Campervans

Hope this helps someone

Chris

GRWXJR

That'll do me!

Thanks Chris!

I just took the plunge and ordered a roll. My recently bought van has the interior, but no-one bothered to insulate the roof area above the cab where there si a big storage cupboard, and I fancy taking a crack at making some window screens to put up behind the curtains if it gets chilly, so this stuff just might do the trick on all fronts.

Gotta find some of those window sucker thingies now so I can attach any screens I make to the windows!

Cheers! Graham

Westcountry Cam

On it's way!!

Thanks Chris!

I just took the plunge and ordered a roll. My recently bought van has the interior, but no-one bothered to insulate the roof area above the cab where there si a big storage cupboard, and I fancy taking a crack at making some window screens to put up behind the curtains if it gets chilly, so this stuff just might do the trick on all fronts.

Gotta find some of those window sucker thingies now so I can attach any screens I make to the windows!

Cheers! Graham

Thanks Graham for your order! It was posted today Royal Mail 1st Class so it should be with you either Saturday or Monday! I shall also have some more products added to my online store over the next few days so keep an eye out

Regards

Steven
Westcountry Campervans
Campervan conversions and rentals in Cornwall
01209 717527

oldish hippy

Forum Member
Thanks Chris!

Cheers! Graham

hERE YOU GO

Suction Cups - Any Type - Wide Range - Clear Plastic/Rubber Window Suckers | eBay

hextal

Don't want to sound like a nay-sayer - but i'm pretty sure that foil bubble sheeting is only designed to act as a radiant barrier rather than an insulator.

So you will likely need to make sure you have an air gap between it and the bodywork. If not it will just conduct the heat/cold with little thermal resistance.

GRWXJR

Thanks Steve, and to OH for the 'sucker thingy' link!

Hextal... hadn't really thought of that, but what you say makes sense. I might have to rethink using this material for the roof section. But it'll still do ok for the screens anyhow, so It'll come in useful.

Last edited:

hextal

Yep. Im looking to use something like that for window covers and between the cab and living space as a curtain type thing.

whitevanwoman

Keep an eye out for cheap camping mats (check out pound shops and discount shops, they should be coming into stock any time now, normally about £2.99 but if you scout around you might find them cheaper, I've had them for £1 in the end of summer sale), use them straight next to the metal and then the silver bubble wrap on top of those. It's worked for me, reduced the condensation on the roof to virtually zero, just a very slight misting in areas where air doesn't circulate very well (so double line those areas). It was like a waterfall in the morning before I insulated it.

The silver bubble wrap that the OP has got is the cheapest I've seen, and it's double lined, so much better than what I've been buying from Wickes and B&Q, definitely a good buy. Wish I'd found it this time last year!

OHs link for the suckers is not a bad price too, I got some from poundstretcher at Christmas (for xmas window decorations), £1 per packet of about 20, but difficult to find this time of year. Geht the biggest ones, smaller size is fiddly.

You'll also need a good strong glue to glue the suckers to the silver bubble wrap, superglue didn't work, I ended up buying Loctite for it. Occasionally the odd one still comes off but I just keep the Loctite in the van, useful for any emergency repairs. I pulled the metal hook off the sucker, cut a small hole in the silver stuff and poked the raised centre of the sucker through the hole, put the metal hook back onto the raised centre bit and then glued it to the silver stuff, front and back. Then you can use the metal hook to pull the sucker off the window in the morning rather than pulling at the silver stuff which sometimes pulls the sucker off the silver stuff and leaves it on the window. 4 suckers for each side window, 4 along top of windscreen, I didn't bother with suckers at the bottom of the windscreen piece as the silver foil tucks into the dash at the bottom of the windscreen.

Keep the elastic bands off the camping mats, they are useful for rolling up the window covers when not in use.

GRWXJR

Yep. Im looking to use something like that for window covers and between the cab and living space as a curtain type thing.

My van already has a curtain rail and curtains to go around the door windows and windscreen. I was just looking for some more thermal insulation to keep the cold at bay and reflect heat if it was really hot (we should be so lucky). I guess this means the reflective surface should be facing the direction you want heat reflected, so might need suction cups for both sides fitting?

As for your divider between cab and living area - if you have window covers made, then surely you don't need a curtain to separate the cab? If you want one anyway, then I'd have thought a straightforward curtain arrangement would be easier to use and take less space when folded to the side than stowing a thermal type screen somewhere?

I'm sure you know what you are doing and what you want, maybe I'm just not understanding it right and missing something.

GRWXJR

Thanks for the camping mat thing and the tips WVW!

You'll also need a good strong glue to glue the suckers to the silver bubble wrap

What I was thinking to do here was to punch holes and fit eyelets in the shaped screens, then fit the suckers through the eyelets and secure them on the other side somehow. Of course this is just and idea and I don't know how it'd actually pan out yet! It just seemed that a mechanical way of fixing the suckers all the way through would be more robust a solution than any adhesive solution (which even if it sticks could tear or delaminate the material?).

The eyelet idea was to try and prevent tears through the material (a bit like groundsheets and tarps have to stop them ripping).

I hope it'll work!

G.

hextal

I'm sure you know what you are doing
:lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:That cheered me up. I'm pretty much making every mistake in the book and numerous ones not in the book.

I figure that the window liners will be pretty good but the cab doors/floor etc probably won't be fantastically lined, so it will likely be the weak area in terms of losing heat in the winter. So I figure an insulated curtain between the cab and accomodation area is probably a descent belt/braces approach.

whitevanwoman

The eyelet idea should work, test it on some scrap first. There is a very slight stretch in the silver bubble wrap so doesn't tear easily, I've not had any problems with tearing. I made the hole slightly too small (deliberately) so it was a bit of an effort to force the sucker through it and then it kind of fitted nice and snug around the centre bit. On the whole, Loctite has done the job, I think the odd ones that have come off were the ones that I used superglue on.

You might be able to make a hole sideways through the centre of the sucker which sticks through the hole, using an old solder iron, maybe file the tip to a point or heat up a metal kebab skewer. Then you could feed cord through it to make a pull loop. Not tried it but it might work.

Re window screens versus cab curtain - it depends if you want people to know you're sleeping in there or not. If it's not a problem, then screens are fine but if you don't want to make it obvious that you're sleeping in there, then cab curtain is better, make sure all gaps covered so no light showing.

I made a cab curtain out of 2 layers of fabric with a layer of silver bubble wrap in between, it folds up concertina like, about 3" between folds, during the day (another use for the elastic bands off the camping mats, to go around the curtain as tie back), it's not too bulky, and tucks behind drivers seat out of the way. Lining with silver bubble wrap has made a MASSIVE difference. No condensation at all on cab windows in the morning until the curtain is opened and then it steams up quickly as the warmer air hits the cold glass.

Keep us posted how you get on :goodluck:

GRWXJR

the cab doors/floor etc probably won't be fantastically lined, so it will likely be the weak area in terms of losing heat

You might be right there. Mind you - as an idea - couldn't you glue some of this silver stuff on the inside of the door cards to help the insulation factor there? I mean, wouldn't that have a nice air gap to the door skin (& hopefully allow the window to still go up n down - handy!) but improve the insulation of the door itself?

Ive stuck sound-deadening pads on the outer door skin and also one on the door card to help reduce noise (a 2.5L naturally-asthmatic Tranny diesel, pretty low gearing due to the marginal Hp, and LDV's legendary high-quality finish does not a quiet cabin make as std), but hadn't thought about bunging some kind of insulation in there till now. I can say though that the SD stuff (only done one door so far cos I have a hinge needs sorting on the drivers) does deaden the noise quite well - passenger door now closes with much more of a thud than a clang now haha!)

I have also clad the back of the cheapo plastic lower dash sections with SD plates cut up and stuck on, and then stuck sound-deadening acoustic insulation on top of that to try and reduce the transmitted engine noise (it has helped). Should help the heat insulation too.

As for the floor, well I covered mine with Flashing tape for the din reduction effort, and put a bit of rockwool in a carrier bag then stuffed it inside the gearlever gaiter to keep noise out - but that'd help keep the cold out too. Other than that, a layer of the silver stuff on top of what you have on the cab floor and then some carpet or other covering on top of that might help keep the warmth in?

I don't know what I'm doing btw - I'm just using ideas that pop into my head! I'm sure if they are rubbish someone who really foes have a clue will come along and save the day!

GRWXJR

I made a cab curtain out of 2 layers of fabric with a layer of silver bubble wrap in between

That's a good idea! I have curtains cos it had them already, but not sure I have the ability to add screens and curtain into one decent item!

Not too sure if I'd be too worried about people knowing I'm in there - in fact I've considered maybe it'd be better if some oaf thought I'd be in there with best mate Mr Baseball-Bat in case he felt like breaking in on the rob (I've had a hankering to take up softball when out and about in the van y'know, and really should go out and pick up a bat n ball to take with me for purely recreational purposes).

But... I haven't wilded at all, a total newbie so maybe thats completely the wrong idea? I can't really 'stealth' entirely anyhow though as Sully has a window in the side door, so that'll suggest 'campervan' and 'occupants' anyway I guess?

mark61

Forum Member
I made my 2 side curtains and one to separate the cab by lining fleece material with black out material, works very well, but perhaps not as good an insulator as lining bubble wrap. Well when I say I made them, I mean my ex Mrs did, lol.
Only time I used them was in Sweden this winter, usually I never draw curtains.

whitevanwoman

That's a good idea! I have curtains cos it had them already, but not sure I have the ability to add screens and curtain into one decent item!

Not too sure if I'd be too worried about people knowing I'm in there - in fact I've considered maybe it'd be better if some oaf thought I'd be in there with best mate Mr Baseball-Bat in case he felt like breaking in on the rob (I've had a hankering to take up softball when out and about in the van y'know, and really should go out and pick up a bat n ball to take with me for purely recreational purposes).

But... I haven't wilded at all, a total newbie so maybe thats completely the wrong idea? I can't really 'stealth' entirely anyhow though as Sully has a window in the side door, so that'll suggest 'campervan' and 'occupants' anyway I guess?

I've had to learn how to use a power driver/drill so I reckon it's only fair if you have to learn how to use a sewing machine! It's really not difficult, like a power tool, just take it slow till you've got used to it. It's easier to use fabric that doesn't fray, such as fleece or wool blanket (although wool blanket is probably too heavy when doubled) so that you don't have to worry about hems. You could even put small eyelets in the top for the curtain hooks to save messing around or buy clip on curtain rings (B&M Bargains, about £3 for 12) and just use curtain wire - get it really tight so it doesn't sag.

It's just like making a ham sandwich, 2 slices of fabric (about a foot/ 18" longer than the gap so that the curtain isn't stretched tight across the gap and to allow extra to tuck in at each side) with a slice of bubble wrap in between, then sew along the edges using a longer length stitch than usual (there is a dial on the machine that adjusts the size of the stitch - practice on some scrap fabric first). The bubble wrap doesn't need to go right up to the edges on the sides, otherwise it makes it difficult to tuck the side edges in when curtains closed. If you use thread as close as possible to colour of the curtains, and just a straight line stitch, you will hardly see the stitching and it won't matter if it's slightly wonky in places. Tip - it goes wonky if you go too fast. If you get really good, you could even stitch along the concertina folds in the fabric so that it folds up easier. I spray glued the silver bubble wrap to the fabric in places to hold it in place whilst I sewed it.
:have fun:

Wilding is great, you'll get hooked on it! It just depends where you are - if you're in the middle of nowhere with little chance of anyone coming along to complain / move you on, then screens are fine. If in any doubt, I wouldn't use the screens. Stealthing is even more fun once you've got over the initial anxiety, a real sense of beating the system :ninja: :D

I reckon you'd get away with stealthing with a window in the van as you see a lot of crew vans parked up on streets at night, just so long as you don't have TV aerial / satellite dish / light showing etc otherwise Mr and Mrs Busybody will complain. Stealthing is really handy for a late night out in town if you don't want to have to get a taxi home, or for visiting friends who don't have spare bedroom etc.

Taking a dog (preferably a noisy one) (or even a CD of a dog barking!) is probably preferable to taking a baseball bat, no risk of arrest and just as effective if not more so :dog:
To be honest, I wouldn't go off wilding on my own without the dog (he's big and black, with a very loud bark, although he's a gentle giant, but no one else knows that! Well, apart from all the other forum members!).

But in 77 nights in the van over the past 14 months, I've only once been disturbed during the night, in a forestry car park in the middle of nowhere, about 11pm, and although I didn't peep out and just hid in the van, I'm pretty sure it was the police who had a walk round, flashed torches, talked into a phone / radio, I heard them say "probably asleep in there" and then off they went. Had to have a couple of Baileys afterwards though!! :scared::scared:

Deadsfo

My dad was a great sewing machinist,for a center lathe turner, he put an extension on a Harrison drive away extension and renewed all the zips god bless him.
but I have to admit though not trying it seriously over any great length of time,it is a discipline I find hard to master,for a start how do you thread that bl##dy needle!!

REC

Forum Member
My dad was a great sewing machinist.....
but I have to admit though not trying it seriously over any great length of time,it is a discipline I find hard to master,for a start how do you thread that bl##dy needle!!
With reading glasses on! Or use one of those gadgets!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)