George Clarke`s Amazing Spaces

Eurobiker330

Forum Member
Anyone watch above last night. I just caught the end of it really. A young couple converted an old I think Bedford Bus into a camper. Amongst other things it had a rear opening drop down ramp to drive and a classic original Mini into.
Was interesting but I am not sure how practical the whole conversion would be in reality.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The first shots of it looked like it was a previous race car transporter. It used to be very common to cut the back out of a coach.
You used to be able to drive them on a car licence, but that got stopped in the 80's and they fell out of favour.
With Murky we are 8 metres and do feel it's inconsiderate to park that in some towns we visit. So two bicycles.
I'm sure once they have used it for a while a refit will be planned. Carpets removed from the floor to allow the water to run out.
Good luck to them, I wish I was that brave when I was younger.

Eurobiker330

Forum Member
Ah right I did wonder. Yeah I looked at your van before squirrell. Fair play to them anyway and yeah takes a bit of balls. G

Eurobiker330

Forum Member
The first shots of it looked like it was a previous race car transporter. It used to be very common to cut the back out of a coach.
You used to be able to drive them on a car licence, but that got stopped in the 80's and they fell out of favour.
With Murky we are 8 metres and do feel it's inconsiderate to park that in some towns we visit. So two bicycles.
I'm sure once they have used it for a while a refit will be planned. Carpets removed from the floor to allow the water to run out.
Good luck to them, I wish I was that brave when I was younger.
I taped it on catch up will watch it fully tonight. G
Will have to watch that later, was it BBC?
Cant remember I will have a look and let you know. G

Dowel

Forum Member
Yep, did catch parts of Geo Clarkes Small Spaces. IIRC the coach was a Plaxton on an AEC chassis from the1970s?
The body appeared very extensively corroded, frighteningly little left of it. Wish they had shown more of the structural state and repairs but just glossed over that. Looked good at the end but all too quick and shallow IMHO.

Eurobiker330

Forum Member
Yeah its not like car SOS or anything like that, more of a design programme than a technical 1, better than watching eastenders though (i would think as i have never watched it). G

Nabsim

Forum Member
Well it’s on my to watch list but didn’t get to it last night. Stopped on Doncaster services to walk dogs, get refreshments and fill gas. Came to put step in and nada. Very wet so checked what electrics I could get to then moved into garage and refilled gas. Floor was dry there so underneath and undid the 4 bolt holding it in place (after abortive attempt to remove arm). Turned it round so step extended under the van so I could drive. A good 90 minutes on forecourt as each nut would only turn a flat with one doing half flats.
Oh joy 😂😂😂

Dowel

Forum Member
A good 90 minutes on forecourt as each nut would only turn a flat with one doing half flats.
Oh joy 😂😂😂
Well joy indeed that you had a suitable tool (12 point spanner?) and a dry place. with my luck I would have been stuck over a huge puddle with no tools that fitted. I have a tool box about 20" long and 9"x9" or thereabouts. Fill it with proper tools and I can just about pick it up! Difficult to choose what tools to carry in the van.

Debs

Forum Member
I watched it and was disappointed that they didn't show more of the build, but not surprising really. Would like to have converted a 10 metre coach when I was younger, but could never afford it. Not my choice to put a car in it, bicycle would be my choice.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I watched it and was disappointed that they didn't show more of the build, but not surprising really. Would like to have converted a 10 metre coach when I was younger, but could never afford it. Not my choice to put a car in it, bicycle would be my choice.
It may have more online somewhere, there was a link on the front of the finished but but can’t remember what it was. For a total spend of £25k which included the mini I think they did well. Initially I thought it was a lot but then look what that would get in a secondhand Moho.

Well joy indeed that you had a suitable tool (12 point spanner?) and a dry place. with my luck I would have been stuck over a huge puddle with no tools that fitted. I have a tool box about 20" long and 9"x9" or thereabouts. Fill it with proper tools and I can just about pick it up! Difficult to choose what tools to carry in the van.
as it happens I had every tool I would need to probably strip the van lol what was in short supply was strength and agility. Will be another day or so before I could start to investigate further just using collapsible step at present 😂

Debs

Forum Member
Yep, did catch parts of Geo Clarkes Small Spaces. IIRC the coach was a Plaxton on an AEC chassis from the1970s?
The body appeared very extensively corroded, frighteningly little left of it. Wish they had shown more of the structural state and repairs but just glossed over that. Looked good at the end but all too quick and shallow IMHO.
We didn't get a good look at the chassis, but I saw the steering wheel and also guessed it was probably an AEC.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)