gas joint compound?

daisymini

What have you self builders used on your gas joints ie ptfe tape or compound?

If you have used compound which is the best?

oldish hippy

Forum Member
well you should have asked dave and mary as dave had some calor red compound which dave {apache208d } used on my fridge when we cleaned the burnere on it bit like toothhpaste #

daisymini

well you should have asked dave and mary as dave had some calor red compound which dave {apache208d } used on my fridge when we cleaned the burnere on it bit like toothhpaste #

Ive just been googling and i think ill get some boss white compound..!!

Aladdinsane

I was advised by the LPG tank supplier that you don't need any so haven't, I did use copper, not brass olives where needed.

Alf

Gas Joint Sealant

Hi buy as all tin ofVirgin White it is suitable for all Gas / Water / Oil pipe joints if you cannot source local try BES plumbing supplies. I have used this for years also try your local caravan shop for a tube of Red Gas Seal.

Alf

n brown

Forum Member
definitely not boss white !. although Calor themselves say no sealant is necessary in a compression joint,i use it because more than once in the past I have had gastight joints that actually had come loose[not mine,on old vans and caravans !],but the sealant did its job .caravan shops usually carry small tubes of sealant. calor tite red was always my favourite,but I haven't seen any for a few years

Last edited:

oldish hippy

Forum Member
definitely not boss white !. although Calor themselves say no sealant is necessary in a compression joint,i use it because more than once in the oast I have had gastight joints that actually had come loose[not mine,on old vans and caravans !],but the sealant did its job .caravan shops usually carry small tubes of sealant. calor tite red was always my favourite,but I haven't seen any for a few years

dave of dave and mary had some it was used when my fridge was removed and cleaned by another dave thanks to them both

hextal

I'm close to doing the joints in mine and after reading shed loads on this issue i'm still on the fence.

n brown

Forum Member
I'm close to doing the joints in mine and after reading shed loads on this issue i'm still on the fence.
just to confuse you further,i have worked on a couple of library vans.the fitter had used compression joints and then heated and soldered them ! they didn't leak !

daisymini

We have just re done the joints with ptfe tape..im going to see how they go...but my problem was that the bench seat collapsed onto my gas pipes and stressed the joints...after checking them all and finding that there were very slight leaks we have undone and re tightened all the joints.....replacing one olive on the most damaged joint...
All the rest of the joints around the van which had nothing on them are all ok it was just this particular problem that made me ask

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)