Forum a bit quiet

voyager

Forum Member
The forum is a bit quiet at the moment with little additional info on van conversions. I haven't added anything as I have nothing useful to add but I do miss looking at what others have done and getting ideas to improve my own van. Any thoughts on how to liven it up appreciated.

Geraldine

Forum Member
I’m a bit lost on this site. Any sign posting to threads or pictures on a completed van conversion would be greatly received.
cheers. David.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Very unfortunately a forum like this needs a wealth of members who are either planning to or are actually in the process of converting their vans, added to which there must be always a wealth of people who have already done a conversion or who are actively involved in the commercial world or conversion to give advice.

Now, speaking for myself, I am active on several specific self building groups on facebook and in each and every case when I read of someone who is in the deep Do-Do, I always give the link to this site, in the very same way as I used to with sites such as diymotorhome and sbmcc both of which became or already were very active forums, and in the case of the first mentioned, over 500 people signed up to that site due to the prompts I had made to them.

I don't know why or what it is, but for some strange reason, on here it is almost always the same relatively small group of people who are reacting to or joining in with discussions, help and advice. This saddens me very greatly indeed, it also saddens me that I see posts by members of the sister paid for sites of Phil's who for some unknown reason discuss diy modifications or problems over on those sites and don't follow my prompts (whenever I see them) to come on over here and join in.

I for one would be an exceptionally happy man if this forum was humming like a spinning top, but for whatever reason it's not and that hurts !

Phil

mistericeman

Forum Member
Probably a combination of things.... 3 linked forums on roughly the same subjects is always a gamble.

The whole covid things has stifled things for a, lot of folks...

And I've recently sold the self built Transit Jumbo BUT am on with modifying the moHo that replaces it ;-)
But that doesn't really seem to fit in on here so not bothered posting

Etc etc

wildebus

Forum Member
Probably a combination of things.... 3 linked forums on roughly the same subjects is always a gamble.

The whole covid things has stifled things for a, lot of folks...

And I've recently sold the self built Transit Jumbo BUT am on with modifying the moHo that replaces it ;-)
But that doesn't really seem to fit in on here so not bothered posting

Etc etc
On your last point, I would say absolutely DO post the mods you are making!

There are, as Millie Master Phil as said, a lot of self-build forums and groups, but something that is very rarely seen are improvements and modifications to factory built motorhomes and some posts on that area I think would be both interesting and a bit different :)

I will be (fingers crossed) taking ownership of a Motorhome this month and have a few changes (mostly electrical of course!) lined up for it and plan to document them (y)

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The forum is a bit quiet at the moment with little additional info on van conversions. I haven't added anything as I have nothing useful to add but I do miss looking at what others have done and getting ideas to improve my own van. Any thoughts on how to liven it up appreciated.
As my Betty build is such a huge project I worry that some of what is done will bore people to death.

Millie Master

Forum Member
As the expression goes "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink".

And by way of adding to that comment, we have a member on here by the name of @activecampers who has posted quite a lot of material on here and then only today I see over on our sister site Motorhomer a lengthy post under the heading of MWB self build - 2 weeks in :)

Now for the life of me, I can't even begin to understand posting it over there when arguably it is such a very fitting post to be put up on here!

I am perplexed

Last edited:

Chris Evans001

Forum Member
I'm guilty as charged really.
I enjoy this forum pretty much daily, I'm in the middle of a conversion, albeit a slow one, but don't actually post very much.

I suppose maybe I think most of things I'm doing are a bit mundane to post really. I keep thinking when this bit is finished I'll do a post... Trouble is I'm never happy with anything!

I'll try to do better!

trevskoda

Forum Member
As the expression goes "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink".

And by way of adding to that comment, we have a member on here by the name of @activecampers who has posted quite a lot of material on here and then only today I see over on our sister site Motorhomer a lengthy post under the heading of MWB self build - 2 weeks in :)

Now for the life of me, I can't even begin to understand posting it over there when arguably it is such a very fitting post to be put up on here!

I am perplexed
You can lead a horse to water but a pencil has to be lead.
Think all forums are a tad dead at moment as some have locked themselves away,winter will bring folks back if they have taken picys of jobs,well i do hope so as i love looking and turfing in my tuppence worth if it helps in any way. (y)

activecampers

Forum Member
Its a downward spiral.
Too quiet to come here and visit regularly as not much interesting content
Thus not posting
etc

Its busier than one of the other forums, but not as busy as the other (which I do use a lot, sorry). And of course, the 1001 facebook groups (which we seldom use)

I'll post a thread on what we're up to - though no doubt if you exist anywhere else, or have a genuine interest, you'd have found it already lol

wildebus

Forum Member
I've the title of your thread on motorhomer (I think it was) but not read it as not really that relevant to that forum I think
If it were here, then I would have likely read it as that is the point of THIS forum.

Personally speaking, I like forums that stick to their point and purpose and don't tend to bother with random off-topic conversations that much.

Tookey

Forum Member
Don't forget there are members like myself that due to the forum being 'technical' we aren't posting as we don't have the knowledge to aid, but we are here reading, learning and enjoying :) (y)

Tookey

Forum Member
But you have questions and ask.
....and the floodgates will open but am still at the 'thinking' stage. I am visiting Wildebus soon which will give me an idea of what weight and space I should have left post solar install and I can start my smaller projects.

One of the attributes of this forum is when a serious question is asked the thread stays relevant. On WC there are loads of 'banter' threads but the one liners still creep into threads where the OP is trying to get help/advice

Tookey

Forum Member
Don't forget to use the forum search engine, post might not be new but doesn't mean it's not good or relevant (y)

Tookey

Forum Member
I think the forum would definitely liven up with a name change as 'motorhome' to a lot of people including myself is an 'off the production line' vehicle that doesn't need building...........but if it did change to something like 'camper builder' from looking at other sites you attract people that have done one conversion and are now 'experts' :rolleyes:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)