Floor construction

Squiffy

Forum Member
Has anyone laid 12mm ply floor straight onto celotex/Rectinol insulation without first putting wood floor support timbers down.
I.e. floor floating on insulation. Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I expect it would improve the insulation. Unless you wear your stilettos in there, the floor will be sound. I’ve seen 9mm on top of 50mm and that just about worked for more than ten years on a roof.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I expect it would improve the insulation. Unless you wear your stilettos in there, the floor will be sound. I’ve seen 9mm on top of 50mm and that just about worked for more than ten years on a roof.
I'm thinking of doing this on the build I'm doing at the moment. Gluing down 25mm insulation then glueing 12mm ply straight on top. I really can not see a problem as the insulation shouldn't compress by the minimal weight applied by walking and furniture, just wondered if anyone else had tried it. Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
I laid my 25mm Cellotex directly onto the ridged floor of the van and then laid the 12mm marine ply on top, mind you I also had put in some front to back 25mm roofing lath battens which I had glued to the raised ridges of the floor.
Not exactly what you are wanting to do Phil, but over almost 6 years of quite hard use there hasn't been a single squeak or rattle from the floor.

Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
I laid my 25mm Cellotex directly onto the ridged floor of the van and then laid the 12mm marine ply on top, mind you I also had put in some front to back 25mm roofing lath battens which I had glued to the raised ridges of the floor.
Not exactly what you are wanting to do Phil, but over almost 6 years of quite hard use there hasn't been a single squeak or rattle from the floor.

Phil
Yes Phil that's how I laid the floor in my present Van, but I am tempted just to put the 12mm straight on top of 25mm celotex on this one 🤪.Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
Yes Phil that's how I laid the floor in my present Van, but I am tempted just to put the 12mm straight on top of 25mm celotex on this one 🤪.Phil

Possibly just like you, I did the floor like I did last time so that I could have an access channel running across the van to run gas, water and electrics which I suppose you could do without the lengthwise battens, so I suppose it could easily work doing it your suggested way.... fingers crossed

Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
Just to illustrate how very durable these 25mm thick sheets of foil faced closed cell foam is, over the past 6 years I have been using a quite large piece of it to use as an insulation between me and the floor, be that smooth concrete, gravel, soil or grass and it is still almost like new, despite having been very extensively used. It is also brilliant as no matter how cold or wet the floor/ground is, I have always remained warm and dry.

So Phil, as if you didn't know already the hump and hollow indentations of your Sister in Laws Sevel van floor won't cause it any problems, even without the additional support of lengthwise wooden runners.

ps. I also keep a smaller section of this magical stuff in the rear storage area of 'Millie' for when I am going under her on site.

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)