fitting lap and diag belts

mandrake

over the next couple of months i am more than likely looking into buying a camper van ,something like this ,if the link works .1989/90 G Reg TALBOT EXPRESS Leisuredrive Relax 2 Litre Petrol | eBay .problem is i have two grand sons and they would need rear belts mainly for there child seats ,there 3 and 4 . so i wondered if anybody out there could help with ideas how to fit these type of restraints in the rear of a van of this type as most have front facing rear seats behind the front seats . this problem is the only thing that is holding me back as i would need to carry the kids . of course the problem would be removed if i could fit a twin seat in the front with two diag type belts as in many vans similer to a transit or ldv . many thank for any ideas .

sasquatch

When retro fitting seat belts you Must fit to a secure part of the vehicle and use spreader plates on the bolts. On my VW I fitted the lap belts to the body under the rock and roll bed and threaded the belt through the gap between seat squab and back. With lap and diagonals you have an extra bolt to install,the grade and size of bolts and plates will be include in the kits or may be specified in the installation instructions.

mandrake

mabey the easiest way would be replace the single front passenger seat with a double one with seat belts in the middle seat .as in a mate of mines transit van .and utilise the original fitted belt on the passenger side of the van. will have to look into it all further ,no real rush at the moment as i am going to be a couple of months before i even buy a van . got a house move going on at the moment thats hard enough work in itself .

piman

Hello Mandrake,

on our first van (Coachbuilt Transit) I just bought a twin front seat from a scrap yard and fitted that.

Trying to fit lap and diagonal belts in the back of a van is extremely difficult to do as there is not a suitable structure for the shoulder attachment. Lap belts are relatively easy.

Alec

QFour

Think you will have a problem unless you can find something with them already fitted or provision for them. In an accident the forces involved are considerable

An average 4 year old weight 18 kg
Car travelling at 30 mph

The energy possessed by a body because of its motion, equal to one half the mass of the body times the square of its speed.

So ( 18 / 2 ) x 5.477 = 49.293 Kg So the child in the seat now weighs 49.293 Kg if the car hits something and stops at 30 mph
So ( 18 / 2 ) X 6.32 = 56.88 Kg So the child in the seat now weighs 56.88 Kg if the car hits something and stops at 40 mph

This does not include the weight of the car seat which can add considerably to the mass.

You are going to have to find something very substantial to fasten them to and they will have to pass an MOT Test.

mandrake

Hello Mandrake,

on our first van (Coachbuilt Transit) I just bought a twin front seat from a scrap yard and fitted that.

Trying to fit lap and diagonal belts in the back of a van is extremely difficult to do as there is not a suitable structure for the shoulder attachment. Lap belts are relatively easy.

Alec

thanks ,i think your way will be the way i will go ,its going to be easier to fit a twin seat in the front .depending on the base van many have the extra fitting points in the cab floor anyway ,and its a straghtforward swap . it may restrict access into the rear of the van but that seems a small price to pay for the kids safety thanks all for your replies . probably going to be a couple of months before i do get a van ,what with the house move and other things but another van is definately on the not too distant horizon now .

martinmartin

seatbelts

Hi there.I may be wrong but i dont think a 4 or 5 year old would be allowed in the front seat unless they are over a certain height,about 4 foot 6 if im right.I assume they would be facing forward.

martinmartin

seatbelts

Yes your right steve.Under 135 cm height a booster seat is required.I live and learn.

trevskoda

Forum Member
camper van annie has a double set of these ,i used two singles as i wanted to swivel and the belts are built in so all you have to do is bolt through floor and fitt big plates. i welded up seat boxes which also gave me under storage.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)