Finshed our conversion

MacL

Forum Member
I mean can you remove the lid and get access to the internal wiring?
Yes it you can remove the whole unit out behind the wall if needs mus
Looks great to me, I know I couldn’t manage anything looking like that :)

only thing I notice is the board under the double bed mattress. Keep an eye out for damp patches and/or mould, can be a problem when a board is used. It’s all to do with air flow and others here will advise better than me. It does depend what is in the void under the bed though I believe, if heated then less likely to be a potential problem I think.

I would be proud of that build if I had done it, well done and hope you get lots of use from it 👍
Thank you yes we are both proud of how it turned out,we have a boot area under the bed and haven't any source of heat at the moment going down to the boot area but im sure we could take an extra vent down from the diesel heater maybe that could help

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Thank you yes we are both proud of how it turned out,we have a boot area under the bed and haven't any source of heat at the moment going down to the boot area but im sure we could take an extra vent down from the diesel heater maybe that could help
We have a heater vent from the eberspacher to heat the garage under the bed. It took a bit of experimenting to find the most comfortable setting for sleeping.
Also there is a water heated fan heater from the engine cooling circuit to make sure there is no damp down there.

It works so well the Betty build is getting an uprated version too.

wildebus

Forum Member
Lever? Im not sure what you mean please elaborate
It just looked to me that because the cover was flush with the wall, it didn't look like you could directly get hold of the cover to pull it and needed something to 'get in' and pull it.
obviously could be wrong there and not seen your van in the flesh so maybe just the angle the photo taken or trick of the light, etc.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Looks good, watch the weight of wood, I removed my rear doors and fitted s wheel rack and jerry can holders, 8 seats max for motorcaravan and Phg if over 3,5 ton which mine is.
sw  3.jpg

MacL

Forum Member
Looks good, watch the weight of wood, I removed my rear doors and fitted s wheel rack and jerry can holders, 8 seats max for motorcaravan and Phg if over 3,5 ton which mine is.View attachment 4239
Yours looks good at the back but we need access to under the bed as its our boot area. We haven't got ours weighed which is properly stupid on our end but if and im sure it will happen the dvla will probably request it as I never filled anything out on the weight.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Yours looks good at the back but we need access to under the bed as its our boot area. We haven't got ours weighed which is properly stupid on our end but if and im sure it will happen the dvla will probably request it as I never filled anything out on the weight.
I found the doors leaked and no way to insulate, so off they came, mine is double over and under bed for 4 at rear, no boot as such unless the bottom bed not used.
van to back.jpg

MacL

Forum Member
I found the doors leaked and no way to insulate, so off they came, mine is double over and under bed for 4 at rear, no boot as such unless the bottom bed not used.View attachment 4241
Good idea looks good,we have yet to even sleep in ours and haven't experienced the doors as of yet but hopefully we run into no issues.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I used to have a slot under the rear bed in my first MH. My youngest at the time loved sleeping under there. That back in the womb feeling I guess.

MacL

Forum Member
So after waiting 13 weeks from sending our application in to dvla we have been turned down for a motor caravan,needless to say we are gutted.

wildebus

Forum Member
It said the external permanent features did not meet the requirements
That is the overwhelming reason given for rejection since the DVLA changed their stance on reclassifications. You will be in good company of rejected conversions that is of no doubt.
Will make very little difference to what you can do. MOT will still be a class 4, can still get campervan insurance policy, Caravan and Motorhome Club still won't let you in as it is a conversion that looks different ....

MacL

Forum Member
That is the overwhelming reason given for rejection since the DVLA changed their stance on reclassifications. You will be in good company of rejected conversions that is of no doubt.
Will make very little difference to what you can do. MOT will still be a class 4, can still get campervan insurance policy, Caravan and Motorhome Club still won't let you in as it is a conversion that looks different ....
I think we will try again in the new year and maybe change the sides by adding more graphics and blending the back window glass to the same colour as the van itself and add more graphics on top.

wildebus

Forum Member
I think we will try again in the new year and maybe change the sides by adding more graphics and blending the back window glass to the same colour as the van itself and add more graphics on top.
fingers crossed. it seems to be total pot-luck :(

Squiffy

Forum Member
Do you mean they will not insure you as motor caravan Dave, or are you saying they will not allow you to join the Caravan and motorhome club, if that's what your suggesting this would be incorrect they are even now accepting tents even. There is no designated criteria for what is classed as a motorhome. I believe they have realised that they were losing out to the Motor Caravan club and the Camping and Caravan Club which is by the by a much older organisation than the Caravan and motorhome club. Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)