Finished build

activecampers

Forum Member
So will you try again? With dvla.. as I , when logged my van with dvla as new keeper I just put van with windows on modification.
Mot the van this week . Van with windows. Group 4 not 7
Lets just say, not unexpected result as as we can't go away in it, I have time for plan B, C, D.... etc
Watch this space :)
New pic with better sun reflection of graphics - I think (obvs I'm biased) it looks more like a campervan than the pics I sent
TBH - I'm just happy with it so I won't cry either way - just need something to entertain me, and fighting pen pushers is keeping me entertained :)
ACtC-3ctMVAAph-j-M6cjNrsTYaNTN0bna2XO7MjCUeLLr5-cq4vRuoJb7_LV4X_-ksn_9XEsovvaWdHks6mMCRfVDnvE8WVi67NDfAhPF9v91nwmO2PDpOeUb9_yrw34QhVC0y-rZpUPGxJxkwHNRV8waNEyA=w876-h657-no

activecampers

Forum Member
Go on, Do tell . MP whats that all about?
And, The van looks smart
Thanks - its working well for us. 75 days in its first year, aim to beat that this year :)
See end of https://motorhomebuilder.com/threads/campervan-change-application.67388/ for more info
Happy to answer more.
But in summary after DVLA rejected all attempts with no valid reason (just stock responses) and did the same with my complaints. Seems standard practice since 2020. I asked MP to look into it as they were not doing what they should and gave comparable vans that passed. Simply, they asked DVLA to investigate and report back. Had they said "it fails due to xyz" then we'd have a point to argue further. But, DVLA just said they'd investigated and decided it was a motor caravan afterall and changed the body type correctly to mc and sorry for the inconvenience.
Why the first 3 attempt failed and the complaints team when only speaking to me said it wasn't is a little odd.

HurricaneSmith

Forum Member
I've followed your superb build, and the understandable frustration you felt when your camper was incorrectly classed as a van with windows.

You said at that time that you intended to challenge the DVLA's ridiculous decision.

You have now won, and rightly deserve to be proud of yourselves. I am delighted for you both. (y)

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
He
I've followed your superb build, and the understandable frustration you felt when your camper was incorrectly classed as a van with windows.

You said at that time that you intended to challenge the DVLA's ridiculous decision.

You have now won, and rightly deserve to be proud of yourselves. I am delighted for you both. (y)
Not won. they over reached with the little poeple 3 times in this case. And took 2 years tax.

Your road tax is now less ? Yez or no for motohome.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Lucky you got sorted as there haz to be 2 windows on the side, maybe you have 2 on the side I cannot see, well sorted you and health to wear.

activecampers

Forum Member
Lucky you got sorted as there haz to be 2 windows on the side, maybe you have 2 on the side I cannot see, well sorted you and health to wear.
On that I disagree, as did a solicitor. The wording is ambiguous and poorly written and can be interpreted in many ways. "Two or more windows on at least one side". Solicitor says "Two or more windows (yes, you have 5, 3 on the roof, 2 on the sides) - on at least one side (yes, you use two sides".

If they meant two windows on one side, they would have said "two or more windows on one side" and not have used the word "least".

As I say, its arguable either way, this is the internet so there will be 101 opinions to every option and I'm not going to try and convince anyone :) They also noted that if it was for "how it looks in traffic" then their definition means 2 windows on one side, and none on the other would be okay - despite the fact one side would have none. They also said the size of the windows are undefined etc.

I do note I'm not the only one with one window per side, I am aware of others.

I also hasten to add DVLA do also say:
While we publish a list of permanent external features that are most seen in motor
caravans, that list is not intended to be constraining or exhaustive. The intention of our
guidance is to give an understanding of what we expect to see when considering these
applications. I must point out that all our published advice states that we will consider a
request to change the body type of a vehicle. It does not state that if you make all the
alterations that a change is guaranteed.
The body type may still be changed despite the vehicle not having all the modifications
listed online.

In other words: We publish guidelines, but we make our own mind up based on what we feel on the day, and it matters not if you tick all the boxes or not, its simply down to what we fancy doing.

So taking that to the extreme, there are no "must haves"......

But, if you get VWW and believe you have a full and proper campervan that is permanent and obvious, then be prepared to fight as much as necessary. If everyone did then I'm sure it'd be obvious with 10,000s of complaints against their stats, or 10,000 letters from parliament. Part of the problem is most people dont really care, or are put off by the DVLA incorrectly stating "our decision is final" on the rejection letters.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)