Finally swapped the 3 way fridge for 240v one

mistericeman

Forum Member
Eventually stirred myself to take out the 3 way fridge today ready for installing a replacement 240v unit....

Surprisingly not too difficult...

Let along compared to finding a replacement that fits....
Think I've found one now but in black rather than silver I wanted....
Hey ho it'll still fit with the colour scheme...

Give me chance to give the removed one a good fettle and get it on ebay....
Seem to be going for daft money at moment

Fridge arrived today (quick service as wasn't due till Friday...)
Had to go with black as Silver in the size I needed was made of unobtanium...

Fitted a treat with only a small trim of the woodwork (aside removing the match wood that formed the baffling a found the rear of the fridge)
Over the top to clear the top hinge...

There was even room to get the power lead around to the socket underneath the cooker where the 240v hotplate plugs in (we never use it anyway)

All up and running pulling around 5/6 amps including inverter....
Might swap the led bulb for a incandescent one though as it pulls so little it doesn't wake the Inverter....

20220111_154253.jpg
20220111_154018.jpg

Lemut

Forum Member
Nice job that man. Suggestion regarding the lamp change? Check how hot the new lap runs before fitting it as it may melt the existing cover if it fits closely. A quick open and close of the door should be ok but when stocking up and the door is open for a few mins it could get hot enough to do a bit of damage.

wildebus

Forum Member
Ref the light ... are you sure it is not already an LED? I was going to do the same with my new Fridge/Freezer and when I took the cover off I found it was already an LED :)
On the 240V Fridge in the Camper that was a standard bulb and interestingly the light when on used more power then the average consumption of the fridge!

mistericeman

Forum Member
Ref the light ... are you sure it is not already an LED? I was going to do the same with my new Fridge/Freezer and when I took the cover off I found it was already an LED :)
On the 240V Fridge in the Camper that was a standard bulb and interestingly the light when on used more power then the average consumption of the fridge!

It is LED.... Swapped it for a incandescent (as it turns out rated at 15w)

But it still pulses in and off (I presume with the inverters eco mode pulses)
15w appears to be the lowest that I can set the inverters wake up current to.

Not the end of the world and I'm sure I can find a work around at some point.

wildebus

Forum Member
It is LED.... Swapped it for a incandescent (as it turns out rated at 15w)

But it still pulses in and off (I presume with the inverters eco mode pulses)
15w appears to be the lowest that I can set the inverters wake up current to.

Not the end of the world and I'm sure I can find a work around at some point.
Just reread your first post .... So you swapped the bulb for a higher wattage one? What work around are you needing to do exactly? you want the inverter to come on when you open the fridge door so you can have the light on?
If that is the case, why don't you just fit a battery-power little LED light in the fridge and connect it to a microswitch that activates when you open the door? Be a better idea and be a better energy saver then forcing th inverter on for no real reason.
My Fridge light also flashes on every few seconds when the inverter is in its 'ECO' (actually "AES" for mine) mode but so what. I find it a handy way to tell when the inverter is running actually.

Reactions: DnK

mistericeman

Forum Member
Just reread your first post .... So you swapped the bulb for a higher wattage one? What work around are you needing to do exactly? you want the inverter to come on when you open the fridge door so you can have the light on?
If that is the case, why don't you just fit a battery-power little LED light in the fridge and connect it to a microswitch that activates when you open the door? Be a better idea and be a better energy saver then forcing th inverter on for no real reason.
My Fridge light also flashes on every few seconds when the inverter is in its 'ECO' (actually "AES" for mine) mode but so what. I find it a handy way to tell when the inverter is running actually.

It's not a deal breaker IF the light flashes when the Inverter isn't running...
And I'm not bothered enough to mess with micro switches etc...
Was just curious IF the incandescent bulb would pull enough to fire the Inverter... But as the lamp is only 15w anyway it doesn't trigger the Inverter to start.... So I'll put up with the flashing light.

Happy that the new fridge appears to consume the same if not less than the Waeco even including the Inverter...
AND that it has lots more space for extra wine.

wildebus

Forum Member
sounded like you were trying to increase consumption to kick it on :)

Out of interest for anyone wanting to do something similar and they have a Victron Inverter with a programmable AES Mode (Note this is NOT the AES meaning as used in fridges - ES means Energy Saving, not Energy Selection with Victron), if the AES is set to Modified Sine Wave then the fridge light would actually work whatever the Inverter is doing - When the inverter is on, the light is normal; when the inverter is in AES mode, the light will be dimmer as provided with an effective 120V.

Reactions: DnK

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)