expedition vehicle aluminum windows

Dinosawus

Forum Member
does anyone know the brand of these windows commonly used in expedition overland vehicles like those built by https://slrvexpedition.com.au/

they have a flush finish with wide frame surround and look much more sturdy then standard MH windows and suspect they are glass not plastic. They have a single latch inside and blind assembly unit. They could be standard residential aluminum windows with off the shelf MH blinds attached.

does anyone know if residential aluminum windows with toughened glass can be used in vehicles and what would be the considerations.

this is for a low loader conversion where the walls are straight sandwich construction with alu skin so fitting would be more suitable than a panel van.

1605357721762.png

1605357557107.png

Dinosawus

Forum Member
found them https://www.ew3.de/ they do appear to be pretty similar to residential UPVC windows so think im going to investigate that option as I never liked the MH plastic windows. I guess weight and vibration are two key factors to consider and those expedition vehicles can probably afford the extra weight. They use Eurodur® ESG (Toughened Glass) is a tempered safety glass which is up to five times stronger than regular glass with the same thickness.

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
found them https://www.ew3.de/ they do appear to be pretty similar to residential UPVC windows so think im going to investigate that option as I never liked the MH plastic windows. I guess weight and vibration are two key factors to consider and those expedition vehicles can probably afford the extra weight. They use Eurodur® ESG (Toughened Glass) is a tempered safety glass which is up to five times stronger than regular glass with the same thickness.
Looks impressive and a bit like domestic windows. I guess if you were having them made you could ask for any glass you wanted.

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Hope you have deep pockets as they are about £800 each last time I looked not the make you mention , but ones used by Bimobil and a few of the other top German builders . They even have built in altitude compensators for the double glazing .

SquirrellCook

Forum Member

Dinosawus

Forum Member
but why go with Seitz windows, just because they are MH specific windows or because everyone else does and thats the safe option? For the money Seitz and GRP units are almost the same but the grp units are much more substantial, perhaps the weight factor is why people stick to MH plastic models.

n brown

Forum Member
if you're asking whether domestic windows are legal , i'd guess yes - same as any other toughened glass i reckon . i would get them made up locally . the window guys can get all sorts of ally or plastic profiles , so should be able to find one to fit flush ,or with a flange . i fitted out a large scania for a Czech guy and he had all the windows and doors made up in Prague .very cheaply

Squiffy

Forum Member
Beauty has always been in the eye of the beholder!!! Personally for practicality and cost you have to go a long way to beat the look and quality of a sietz window. 🧐 Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)