Emergency leak stopper?

Squiffy

Forum Member
Port in a storm is always welcome Mark,
It's good to have anything that might work to hand. Phil

MarkJ

Forum Member
I bought some butyl tape in the end. I have a rooflight which just very occasionally leaks - I think it depends on the wind direction and how much rain. And it might even be just getting blown up under the top rather than a genuine leak, so I want something to carry on board just in case. Butyl tape seems easier and more forgiving.

Plus the other stuff seems too good to be true. I suspect it works if you can prepare the surfaces perfectly...

Squiffy

Forum Member
I bought some butyl tape in the end. I have a rooflight which just very occasionally leaks - I think it depends on the wind direction and how much rain. And it might even be just getting blown up under the top rather than a genuine leak, so I want something to carry on board just in case. Butyl tape seems easier and more forgiving.

Plus the other stuff seems too good to be true. I suspect it works if you can prepare the surfaces perfectly...
If its leaking at the joint between the roof and the roof light then a bead of adhesive sealant around the join will stop the leak it really doesn't matter what it looks like as it can't be seen from the ground and only affects one's pride but stops the leak. I did this when our maxi heki started leaking after 7 years, it was meant as a temporary repair 2 years ago.
As it happens now I've uprated our van mass weight and put a new heki in the shower room (Which got broken mysteriously) I'm going to next week before our trip to Italy, remove and reseal properly the lounge maxi heki that I temporarily repaired that two years ago. I'm sure it would be fine left as is but sods law says it will leak again half way down Italy. 😄. Phil

I use Evo stick sticks like shit from screwfix, I have used it for all my conversions and can't fault its sticking and sealing powers.

MarkJ

Forum Member
remove and reseal properly the lounge maxi heki
Out of curiosity, if you used the Evo Sticks like doodah, how are you going to remove it? And how are you going to clean the surfaces?

I ask because the only job I got someone else to do on my conversion was fit the rooflights, and they used a Sika adhesive, not sealant, which would have been fine if they'd actually done it properly. At some point I'm going to have to remove one and do it more carefully I think.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Out of curiosity, if you used the Evo Sticks like doodah, how are you going to remove it? And how are you going to clean the surfaces?

I ask because the only job I got someone else to do on my conversion was fit the rooflights, and they used a Sika adhesive, not sealant, which would have been fine if they'd actually done it properly. At some point I'm going to have to remove one and do it more carefully I think.
"Sticks like shit" by the way Mark is how Evostick describe its properties in their sales blurb, believe me, it's not my wording 😁. As to removing it I use various tools depending on thickness of adhesive sealant, wether it's holding something down or how I can get at it. I use a multi tool for speed if the job I'm doing does not matter if a little bit of damage occurs to what ever it's stuck to or sticking, then If the job is on the delicate side I some times use a plastic sharpen scraper if it's not so delicate I use a sharp snap on gasket scraper ( An ordinary spatulas scraper would also work). Then I have my favorite weapon which is my thin blade kitchen knife with a very flexible blade about a foot long and very sharp. But one thing for sure is the amount of sealant adhesive used will in most cases not only cover up some fairly major damage but will stop bare metal from receiving air and so will not rust, so in my opinion especially on the roof don't get over concerned about removing the old sealant sika is rubberised in anycase so only remove the sealant that has lost bonding with the roof and reapply a good thick coat of new sealant, don't be too concerned about the finished appearance, the main thing is to get a good water tight seal not a masters in sculpting. Make sure you clean every bonding area with either rubbing alcohol or meths even nail varnish remover that can be bought from cheap jack stores in large bottles. I tend to use foam gun cleaner from Screwfix in a spray can and it's cheap it's all acetone, that is nail varnish remover and Screwfix foam gun cleaner. The main thing is not to worry too much and do the job on a day where you know it's not going to rain. Phil

Last edited:

Duckato

Forum Member
After tripping and cracking my margarine tub thin plastic garbage shower tray and before I fitted a Stainless Steel shower tray I bought a small roll of this stuff just in case!

It might be overkill for something as simple as a cracked roof light but could be very handy for things like water tank leaks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)