Electric Gas Valve

wildebus

Forum Member
So the general recommendation is to turn off the gas when you are driving.
Which means when you stop,m you have to go out, open up the gas locker, turn the valve, close the gas locker, etc. And then repeat the process when preparing to depart.

What about fitting a remotely controlled via 12V supply to turn the valve on and off? anyone done this?

I am thinking about this kind of thing .... https://amzn.to/3crgSdS
1600948003925.png

Now I don't know if that one linked to is appropriate (need to consider thread size, reversed threads for gas, etc, etc.) but linking to this as an example to illustrate the principle for the idea.
Maybe some top-end motorhomes already have this kind of thing?
I think some do have a system that is designed to be allowed to to be open when travelling, but I am thinking more of a setup where you shut down when travelling - and maybe this could be controlled by the Ignition or engine running signal, same as the electric step for example?

voyager

Forum Member
Not designed for continuous operation whilst energised which is the state it would be in for gas to flow. As you may need it on for days on end when on a site then unfortunately not suitable which is a pity as it seemed a good idea.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I turn my gas off at the tanks when I refill and that’s it, both cylinders have crash valves and will switch off on impact

Nabsim

Forum Member
Anyone on here have or had lpg system on their car or van as alternative to petrol? I seem to think that you could have a remote shut off valve for these that ran off 12v for when you went on ferried and placed where it had to be isolated.
If I am remembering right that’s the sort of thing you want Dave.
Also I seem to think you can change which bottle you use remotely inside the van on some models or it was an option. Am I remembering wrong again?
I may be calling in on Charlie tomorrow, if I do I will ask 👍

wildebus

Forum Member
It was just a thought rather than a plan.
It was mostly thinking some kind of motorised valve that activates automatically when the engine is switched on could be a good safety thing? I would be interesting to see what Charlie thinks :)

Chris Evans001

Forum Member

Millie Master

Forum Member
Does anyone know the legal position with regards to turning the gas off when driving..... or for that matter the insurance position?

wildebus

Forum Member

Squiffy

Forum Member
I believe that Ferry companies do not allow you to carry spare petrol cans and request that gas cylinders are turned off when the vehicle is being transported, this is a condition of them ferrying your vehicle. I have to say that I have always had a spare petrol can for the generator and have never turned off the gas cylinder, indeed at one port I was asked if I had any secondary fuel supplies, when I told him I had a can for the generator he said "I will say I didn't hear that" and then proceeded to tell me which lane to enter. They must know that not turning off gas bottles and one or two spare petrol cans would be the least of anyones worries if the ship foundered or caught fire with 200 odd lorries and cars with full tanks of petrol and diesel already on board. Phil

As for turning the gas off when travelling, most underslung tanks have a crash valve built in, so that if there is an excessive release of gas due to a pipe failure it auto closes a valve in the tank, however this is pointless if there is a catastrophic breach in the tank wall itself in the event of an serious accident.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)