Eberspacher D2 Controller Chinese RCL Swap

mrb811

Forum Member
Hi,

can anyone tell me if the chinese diesel heater remote control kit is compatible with an eberspacher D2?

Has anyone attempted this?

The chinese controller appears to have a 3 wire connection as againt the 4 wire eberspacher.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

mrb811

Forum Member
20201017_100350.jpg
20201017_100350.jpg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
So now you want the pin outs from the controller your planning on using.
Looks like you just need 3 wires to start and stop it.

wildebus

Forum Member
Hi,

can anyone tell me if the chinese diesel heater remote control kit is compatible with an eberspacher D2?

Has anyone attempted this?

The chinese controller appears to have a 3 wire connection as againt the 4 wire eberspacher.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
The Chinese Heaters are look-a-likies to the Eberspacher to fool people they are getting an Aitrtronic for under a hundred quid - the electronics are not interchangable.
There are also different looms for different controllers. The most common controller is the colourful LCD panels showing different functions of the heater but there are at least 4 other controllers, some of which can be swapped from one to the other, but a couple of others which cannot.

So my take on this would be:
a) no, they are not; and
b) why would you want to anyway?

mrb811

Forum Member
The Chinese Heaters are look-a-likies to the Eberspacher to fool people they are getting an Aitrtronic for under a hundred quid - the electronics are not interchangable.
There are also different looms for different controllers. The most common controller is the colourful LCD panels showing different functions of the heater but there are at least 4 other controllers, some of which can be swapped from one to the other, but a couple of others which cannot.

So my take on this would be:
a) no, they are not; and
b) why would you want to anyway?
b) purely convenience!

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I've not played with the Chinese heaters, and suspect the controller is digital. The new generation of eberspachers are supposed to be digital to make them easier to integrate into modern vehicles.

wildebus

Forum Member
b) purely convenience!
I have a brand new chinese heater in the box, with one of those fancy controllers and a remote key fob. I will happily do a swap with your eberspacher. wouldn't have to worry about rewiring the controller at all then :)

Ref the cheap heaters ... you may have seen an image of one showing the temperature and going up and down? this is not actually a temp setting, but a pump pulse frequency adjustment that is shown in celcius as a rough indication of the expected temp to be delivered.
You can easily add a remote function to a heater that doesn't have a remote controller (be it the chinese ones with the basic controller or an Eberspacher heater). I fitted a remote garage door controller (to act as a remote relay) to a friends one and now when he is on his way back to his van from a days fishing, he sends a text message to the heater with a preset code to tell it to turn on. He also (the lazy bugger) does the same in the morning if he wakes up at home and it is a cold day to pre-warm the van before going off in it.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Eberspachers purchased for stand alone installations don't care where they are installed. OEM installations are generally integrated into the climate control system and have a controller designed to suit the manufacturer. These often can't be removed and used as a stand alone device.
Just by the correct controller as long as it's not an OEM.

mrb811

Forum Member
I have a brand new chinese heater in the box, with one of those fancy controllers and a remote key fob. I will happily do a swap with your eberspacher. wouldn't have to worry about rewiring the controller at all then :)

Ref the cheap heaters ... you may have seen an image of one showing the temperature and going up and down? this is not actually a temp setting, but a pump pulse frequency adjustment that is shown in celcius as a rough indication of the expected temp to be delivered.
You can easily add a remote function to a heater that doesn't have a remote controller (be it the chinese ones with the basic controller or an Eberspacher heater). I fitted a remote garage door controller (to act as a remote relay) to a friends one and now when he is on his way back to his van from a days fishing, he sends a text message to the heater with a preset code to tell it to turn on. He also (the lazy bugger) does the same in the morning if he wakes up at home and it is a cold day to pre-warm the van before going off in it.
Nice try with the swap option🥺

Any adice on the remote function mod would be much appreciated👍

mrb811

Forum Member
Eberspachers purchased for stand alone installations don't care where they are installed. OEM installations are generally integrated into the climate control system and have a controller designed to suit the manufacturer. These often can't be removed and used as a stand alone device.
Just by the correct controller as long as it's not an OEM.
It is a stand alone unit but Im a tight bugger and dont want to fork out over £200 for eber kit purely for convenience when my controller works fine!

wildebus

Forum Member
Nice try with the swap option 🥺

Any advice on the remote function mod would be much appreciated👍
You find the wire that tells the heater to shut down and start up (NOT the power wire!) and basically put that through a relay. It is then down to how you control the relay...

If you use a box like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTU5024-...Door-Access-Switch-Free-Call-UK/363067849071? - you can turn the relay on and off via text message.
You can also get boxes that work on a IR signal or a 433Mhz wireless signal. Something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-CH-Wir...rol-Switch-Receiver-Transmitter/383603479991?
PS. On that last one, you will likely recognise the remote ;) Pretty generic but they are a right bugger to pair up and vary internally so don't imagine you can just use it like the one you linked to.

You pay your money and take your choice...

If you get a chinese heater with the basic 3-wire rotary control you can usually add one of these - just a matter of finding the right wire.
If you have the heater with the LCD or LED controls, I don't think you can do this as there is not a single wire that issues a shut down/start up signal but a control sequence instead from what I could tell.

Have fun :)

PS. For the chap I installed the Remote Control via Text Message box, I also installed a temp controller so we could get round the limitation of not being able to set an actual target temp on the Chinese Heater. Kind of converting it from a heater with a simple hot/cold dial to a heater with climate control :)

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
PS. For the chap I installed the Remote Control via Text Message box, I also installed a temp controller so we could get round the limitation of not being able to set an actual target temp on the Chinese Heater. Kind of converting it from a heater with a simple hot/cold dial to a heater with climate control.

Just liked this. W can you price this up with or without fittin please

wildebus

Forum Member
PS. For the chap I installed the Remote Control via Text Message box, I also installed a temp controller so we could get round the limitation of not being able to set an actual target temp on the Chinese Heater. Kind of converting it from a heater with a simple hot/cold dial to a heater with climate control.

Just liked this. W can you price this up with or without fittin please
What is possible depends on your controller, as I mentioned.
Oddly enough the most basic controller turns out to be the most useful one!

If you have the electronic LCD style of controller, I haven't found a way to do this. If you have a controller with a mechanical dial for a thermostat, it should be possible.

mrb811

Forum Member
You find the wire that tells the heater to shut down and start up (NOT the power wire!) and basically put that through a relay. It is then down to how you control the relay...

If you use a box like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RTU5024-...Door-Access-Switch-Free-Call-UK/363067849071? - you can turn the relay on and off via text message.
You can also get boxes that work on a IR signal or a 433Mhz wireless signal. Something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-CH-Wir...rol-Switch-Receiver-Transmitter/383603479991?
PS. On that last one, you will likely recognise the remote ;) Pretty generic but they are a right bugger to pair up and vary internally so don't imagine you can just use it like the one you linked to.

You pay your money and take your choice...

If you get a chinese heater with the basic 3-wire rotary control you can usually add one of these - just a matter of finding the right wire.
If you have the heater with the LCD or LED controls, I don't think you can do this as there is not a single wire that issues a shut down/start up signal but a control sequence instead from what I could tell.

Have fun :)

PS. For the chap I installed the Remote Control via Text Message box, I also installed a temp controller so we could get round the limitation of not being able to set an actual target temp on the Chinese Heater. Kind of converting it from a heater with a simple hot/cold dial to a heater with climate control :)
Many thanks for the info, it is very much appreciated!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)