DVLA requirements for van to campervan conversions

bodgerndog

That's all useful to know, ycul - thanks. I think I'm going to take it to the local DVLA office with as much documentation as possible, pics inside and out, and hope I get a reasonable person to deal with. It's like so many things in life, the quality of the experience depends on who you have to deal with. It's a lottery!:juggle:

bru

just bought part started conversion and have insured it as this with adrian flux £230 for the year not using my no claims as they are on another veichle , they give no time limit to how long you get to build it , but i have just got the log book back and it is already classed as a motorcaravan , dont know how the last owner managed that as everything was just thrown in the back and nothing was bolted in , i have since ripped the lot out and started again
Renault Master LL35 DCI | eBay

Harmergeddon

there is a little incentive to change the body type on the V5 to motor caravan if your vehicle has a gross permitted weight over 3500 kg as it would then become a phgv in the taxation classes which is only around £165 per year. since I changed mine to motor caravan I now pay cheaper tax, speed limiter is no longer needed, and same mot as a normal car.

Sorry but this is not the case. Taxation class is not linked to body type classification. I have had 2 PHGV's now and i have not changed the body type to motor caravan on either and both have been the £165 tax. Agreed on the speed limiter though, they can be removed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)