DVLA requirements for change to motor caravan

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

voyager

Forum Member
The point of the new guidelines is to make the van look like a motor caravan and not a van with window or a crew cab type van. If you only have a window in the loading area door it will still look like a van with window or crew type van, by adding an additional window it then starts to look more like a motor caravan.
I know there are some doubters about this but the wording is so clear '2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) ' that I don't understand why anyone would think differently.

Squiffy

Forum Member
The point of the new guidelines is to make the van look like a motor caravan and not a van with window or a crew cab type van. If you only have a window in the loading area door it will still look like a van with window or crew type van, by adding an additional window it then starts to look more like a motor caravan.
I know there are some doubters about this but the wording is so clear '2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) ' that I don't understand why anyone would think differently.
Yes Voyager but if you have two windows on one side and one on the other, one side could look like a motorhome but tother side would only look like a van with windows with maybe some squerly surfer decals and not a motorhome? My point is that if the exterior has to look like a motorhome, then both sides should look like it. But let's face it in today's electronic surveillance the Police can in seconds check your number plate against the DVLA register, so looking like a van with windows or a van to looking like a motorhome makes no difference.Phil

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
It would not surprise me in the slightest to find out that some or one of the major players in the motorhome industry have paid a lobbyist to lobby against self builders as this was not a problem until they started doing conversions in a big way some 3 or 4 years ago, and of course they are probably feeling that they are losing out if more and more people do their own converting. Phil

Greggbear67

Forum Member
Possibly, but as a self builder myself there was no way I was going with a factory build, I couldn't afford one, & aren't drawn to them either really, never seen one that I fancied...

trevskoda

Forum Member
Lucky mine has its ticket 9 years back as i only have one window on each side,one at kitchen and one beside eating/seating place,no windows in loo or bed at back but i do have 3 big opening roof panels which gives lots of light from when it was a lib/bus.

Attachments

• roof van.jpg
    roof van.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 431
  • camper 15.jpg
    camper 15.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 447
  • table seats.jpg
    table seats.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 404
  • kitchen side.jpg
    kitchen side.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 445
  • van to back.jpg
    van to back.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 462

Pugwash69

Forum Member
Don't really understand why anyone is confused by this, it couldn't be any clearer.
The guidelines clearly state:
2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors) to provide a reasonable amount of daylight into the living accommodation
Also the checklist asks you to submit photos showing, amongst other things, 2 or more windows on at least one side of the body

One window each side would technically be "2 windows on 2 sides".
Maybe if they said "At least two windows on one side of the main body". (if that's what they mean)
The "reasonable amount of daylight" is a throwaway comment. Are we supposed to use a light-meter to quantify it? Would I have to blackout my roof to test it?

voyager

Forum Member
One window each side would technically be "2 windows on 2 sides".
Maybe if they said "At least two windows on one side of the main body". (if that's what they mean)
The "reasonable amount of daylight" is a throwaway comment. Are we supposed to use a light-meter to quantify it? Would I have to blackout my roof to test it?
But that is what they are saying, 2 or more windows on at least one side of the main body (this does not include windows on the driver or passenger doors)

Pugwash69

Forum Member
On one side means both on one side. On at least one side could mean one on each side. It's ambiguous. Not how you write regulations.

voyager

Forum Member
We will all have different opinions on this but I don't see any ambiguity at all in this. The reason for the new quidelines is to make the vehicle look more like a motor caravan than just a van with window and to do that you need to have 2 windows on one side of the main body + the passenger or drivers door window. If it simply has only one window + passenger or drivers side door then it will look like a van with a window. I know there is an argument to say that if you have 2 windows on the one side of the main body then from the other side it will still to some extent look like a van with windows but there is where the decals come into it.
When interpreting the guidelines just remember that it is all down to making the vehicle look like a motor caravan and that is how the DVLA will look upon the application

Pugwash69

Forum Member
Luckily I don't need to argue the case. I got mine changed on the log book a few months back, before I had any decals or awning. In my opinion it is ambiguous because it can be taken to mean different things. There should be no room for interpretation so we all know what they mean.

Greggbear67

Forum Member
Just had my logbook returned rejected. The letter says they have rejected my "tax application" because I did not enclose the correct tax money!
Not one single word about the application for motor caravan status...

trevskoda

Forum Member
Just had my logbook returned rejected. The letter says they have rejected my "tax application" because I did not enclose the correct tax money!
Not one single word about the application for motor caravan status...
Old white £5 notes are not used any more. ;)

GEOFF

I think that is a dvla cox up. I am not aware of any charges for re classification. Geoff.

wildebus

Forum Member
What are the correct funds? I don't remember paying for the change to motorcaravan.
There aren't any.

IMO, it it best to request one change at a time to simply things. I changed my PLG Minibus to an HGV Motor Caravan, but ... I did the Taxation Class change first and then when I got the V5C back, I later sent it away for the Body Type change.

Greggbear67

Forum Member
The money they asked for isn't a charge to change anything, it's the phgv tax money. I never asked to change the taxation class,& they never said anything about changing the body type which is what I applied to do. Like has been said, might be as well changing to phgv first then trying for motor caravan. Can't see why they couldn't do it all together tho, maybe that would make too much sense. Just to complicate things even more, I also applied to change the colour & my home address! Maybe their computer melted....😉💻

trucking

Forum Member
Hi, I'm new to the forum. We have just had our application refused to turn our V5 into a campervan. Doesn't look like a campervan in traffic was the reason. I too am having difficulties with the worfing for the windows. I think there should be three window on one side, including the passenger window, the other half thinks not. We didn't put graphics on the side as it said 'most of these requirements' must be met. Is there any point in resubmitting if we put graphics on and another window?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)