Ducato windscreen

MarkJ

Forum Member
I'm giving the current van a serious clean, given I've time on my hands.

How do other people clean the windscreen properly? I can wash it using a brush on the end of a pole, in the usual way, but I want to reach it properly to give it a deep clean. I just can't get close enough on any steps that I own to touch more than about 50% of it. I know I'm short, but I'm not that short...

Short of abseiling off the garage roof - what do other people do?

Squiffy

Forum Member
I personally stand in the driving light areas on the plastic bumpers, I find that it's quite safe as to not damaging the bumper ( But my bumper is black plastic not solid colour or metallic paint)and with fairly good balance I can successfully clean the whole screen but I am lucky to be nimble at 69, it may not be an answer for some over sixties. But in general I like you use a broom with a hose connection which does most occasions when the screen needs washing. The real difficulty for me is actually the roof panel above the screen.Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
I have an extending pole that has a micro fibre mop head (thing) at the top of it. I believe it came with a Karcher window vacuum cleaner I bought some years ago. At full reach I can also use this same device when washing the upper reaches of 'Millie', most especially the very visible area above the front windscreen that leads up to the roof.

Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Murky is really easy to clean the screen as the bumper has foot holes in it. Betty is going to be another story :( I think I will have to invest in a soft brush with an extending pole.
After cleaning Murky's screen some years ago in the Netherlands, a elderly German fellow tried to climb his plastic motorhome to clean his screen. I thought an ambulance would be needed.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I have an extending pole that has a micro fibre mop head (thing) at the top of it. I believe it came with a Karcher window vacuum cleaner I bought some years ago. At full reach I can also use this same device when washing the upper reaches of 'Millie', most especially the very visible area above the front windscreen that leads up to the roof.

Phil
Same here Phil but I find that I can't apply enough pressure at the broom head to remove the stubborn dirt/insect strike, to really get it clean and shiny I have to climb onto the shed roof and work downwards on that area. Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
Its actually a log cabin Squirrel 😄 a bit like a Swiss chalet and a very large and gently sloping roof which ends exactly level with the roof of the van
20180621_125030.jpg

Plenty of room for the ambulance though 😄
Phil

P.s Infact I can step of the roof of the cabin straight on to the van roof.
20180604_154208.jpg

Last edited:

Millie Master

Forum Member
Same here Phil but I find that I can't apply enough pressure at the broom head to remove the stubborn dirt/insect strike, to really get it clean and shiny I have to climb onto the shed roof and work downwards on that area. Phil

I use the pressure washer first of all and then if I come across any difficult to clean bits I soak the mop head in some watered down (brilliant) Bilt Hamber Surfex HD that I always keep at hand.
I use this magical stuff for cleaning anything from the induction hob, the glass of the wood burning stove, the engine, tea or coffee stained mugs, you name it, quite literally anything.

Phil

MarkJ

Forum Member
Thanks for the suggestions. It occurs to me that if I had a rubber blade or chamois on the end of a pole that might help. It'd do nothing for ingrained dirt and insects etc, but our water is so hard (at the top of the permitted scale - we spend a fortune on water softener salt) that you get streaks and stains if it dries on anything. So if I can get the water off that would be a help.

I saw a valeting video where the bloke had an industrial blower. Maybe put that on my christmas list ;)

Forresbroons

Forum Member
I’m not the tallest of people and I find I can reach all of the screen by standing on the front wheels using the mirror to help get up and to hang onto. Then it’s Elbow grease a e cloth hot water and finish with a Chamois.

MarkJ

Forum Member
Thanks, maybe I should be braver about hanging onto the mirrors. A friend of mine had to replace one of his after an, ahem, incident, and the cost was scary!

Nabsim

Forum Member
My merc has two foot holes (for want of better words) built into the front. It’s a bit of a stretch but I can get all I need from them. Not as nimble as Phil and would definitely need an ambulance with cabin roof ha ha

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)