Ducato, Boxer, Relay. Diesel heater under drivers seat

wildebus

Forum Member
The pump for my eberspacher ticks but unlike a lot of people it doesn’t bother me. I like to hear a clock tick though 😜
Ticking clocks used to do me 'ed in :( I kind of got used to it now (or maybe just going a bit deaf?).

I'm am very tempted to fit a Chinese heater in my van - not as a replacement, but an alternative/backup to the Truma Ultraheat Gas/Electric. Three different ways to fuel heat seems a good idea.

Was thinking of the space under the fridge and tap into the heating ducting but 1) could be a water tank underneath just in the way and 2) even if not, would the heat generated within the heater body make the fridge work a lot harder?
Other option is under bench seat and have totally independent from existing heating, but not as good heat circulation to rear of motorhome.

van Rix

Forum Member
My Chinese diesel heater is a backup to my Truma 4E and is a good thing. It covers all options ! The heater is the best valued item I have bought for the van (of course, that is apart from the electric items from your shop :) )

My heater will eventually be enclosed at the bottom of one of the kitchen cabinets. From what I have seen so far, the body of the heater does not become hot and I can't see that it would make the fridge work that much harder provided that you already have good ventilation for the fridge waste heat. However, one thing that I am mindful of is if the heater has been in operation and the power was suddenly cut (fuse blow), the heater would not have a chance to go through it's normal cooldown cycle. There are pcb's inside and I doubt that the case is made from fire-proof plastic. Is there an increased chance of the lot catching fire? I have not seen any comments about this, so any extra info would be welcomed. I do plan to line the heater enclosure with thin aluminium sheet just in case...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)