Drinking Water kits

wildebus

Forum Member
I intend to fit a dedicated Drinking Water supply to my Motorhome.
I am not overly concerned about the water in the main tank, but just think it would be nicer to drink water from a small refreshed water supply rather than from a 100L fixed tank.

I would prefer a plumbed in system rather then just water bottles and thinking of a simple affair of a Tap, Hose, Pump and small water container that will go into a storage locker and I can easily remove to clean and refill.
Pump likely to be a submersible one (a lot cheaper than something like a sureflow) and a tap with a microswitch within it to activate the pump when opened which will be fitted alongside the existing sink tap. It doens't need to fold out the way or anything like that . Possibly have an in-line filter as well, but as said, this is more about just having fresher water rather then cleaning suspect water.

So bearing all that in mind, I have been looking at individual components on Amazon and eBay, but anyone know of any ready-made kits for this which are good price/good quality? Or would recommend anything specifically?

PS. I have a nice cold water only tap available but it works with a pressure-activated pump which are a lot pricier than a switch-operated submersible pump (I don't want a separate switch to turn on and off - it needs to be auto on/off with tap open/closed) so having said submersible pump, are there any pressure pumps that don't cost much more than the submersibles?

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
Long view pay the money for a small pressure pump now rather than having to faf about with failing in tap switches especially as you have the tap at hand . JMHO :) This might make easier to buy a cheaper pump https://www.grasshopperleisure.co.uk/whale-inline-pressure-switch-674-p.asp
I think you are right - the tap is the weak point in the setup I was describing - not only the switch in them, but those seem to be so fragile anyway always. The Tap I have is pretty good as well. I used it for about a year and was happy with it, and only removed it after buying the Hot+Cold version of it after installing a Hot Water system.
I saw that pump/switch actually on Amazon but not at that price!! thanks for the link (y)

mari9876

Forum Member
A water satisfactory test kit's accuracy will vary by means of manufacturer, however most are calibrated to EPA checking out standards to make certain they may be as accurate as possible. some kits have even been proven for accuracy by means of EPA-licensed laboratories.We suggest consuming 8 to 12 glasses (or to 3 litres) of alkaline water per day to enjoy foremost blessings. don't make a fast switch, although - transition slowly through blending up your alkaline water consumption with normal water whilst you get used to the modifications your frame's pH levels

Last edited:

mistericeman

Forum Member
Just buy a 4l bottle of water now and again for water that you won't drink from the main tank....

Then top it up before a trip until the handle drops off and then replace.

Nikita2

Forum Member
I intend to fit a dedicated Drinking Water supply to my Motorhome.
I am not overly concerned about the water in the main tank, but just think it would be nicer to drink water from a small refreshed water supply rather than from a 100L fixed tank.

I would prefer a plumbed in system rather then just water bottles and thinking of a simple affair of a Tap, Hose, Pump and small water container that will go into a storage locker and I can easily remove to clean and refill.
Pump likely to be a submersible one (a lot cheaper than something like a sureflow) and a tap with a microswitch within it to activate the pump when opened which will be fitted alongside the existing sink tap. It this doens't need to fold out the way or anything like that . Possibly have an in-line filter as well, but as said, this is more about just having fresher water rather then cleaning suspect water.

So bearing all that in mind, I have been looking at individual components on Amazon and eBay, but anyone know of any ready-made kits for this which are good price/good quality? Or would recommend anything specifically?

PS. I have a nice cold water only tap available but it works with a pressure-activated pump which are a lot pricier than a switch-operated submersible pump (I don't want a separate switch to turn on and off - it needs to be auto on/off with tap open/closed) so having said submersible pump, are there any pressure pumps that don't cost much more than the submersibles?
Creating a dedicated drinking water supply for your motorhome is a great idea for ensuring you have fresh and clean water on the go. Here's a simplified guide and some recommendations for both components and kits that might suit your needs.

Components Needed:
Small Water Container: A removable and cleanable container, such as a 10-20L jerry can.
Submersible Pump: A cost-effective pump that activates when the tap is opened.
Tap with Microswitch: A tap that includes a built-in microswitch to control the pump.
Hose: Food-grade hose for connecting the water container to the tap.
In-line Filter (optional): To ensure the water is even cleaner.
Recommendations:
Submersible Pump
Seaflo 12V Submersible Pump: Reliable and affordable, commonly used in RVs and motorhomes.
Features: Easy installation, good flow rate, and reliable performance.
Price Range: $20-$30
Tap with Microswitch
Whale Elegance Single Tap with Microswitch: Compact and easy to install.
Features: Microswitch activated, designed for use with submersible pumps.
Price Range: $20-$40
Small Water Container
Scepter BPA-Free Water Container: Durable and easy to clean.
Features: 10-20L capacity, easy to carry, and refill.
Price Range: $20-$40
In-line Filter (Optional)
Camco TastePURE Inline Water Filter: Improves taste and reduces bacteria.
Features: Easy to install, can be used inline with the hose.
Price Range: $15-$25
Ready-Made Kits
While individual components can be bought separately, there are a few ready-made kits available which might suit your needs:

Whale AquaSource Water System Kit:

Includes: Pump, tap with microswitch, hoses, and connectors.
Price: $70-$90
Where to Buy: Available on Amazon and specialized RV supply stores.
Reich Compact Submersible Pump Kit:

Includes: Submersible pump, tap with microswitch, and necessary fittings.
Price: $50-$70
Where to Buy: Available on Amazon and eBay.
Seaflo Water System Kit:

Includes: Submersible pump, faucet with microswitch, hoses, and connectors.
Price: $60-$80
Where to Buy: Available on Amazon and RV supply stores.
Steps to Install:
Mount the Tap: Install the tap with the microswitch next to your existing sink tap.
Connect the Pump: Attach the submersible pump to the hose leading from the water container.
Install the Filter: If using an inline filter, install it between the pump and the tap.
Power the Pump: Connect the submersible pump to the 12V power supply of your motorhome.
Place the Water Container: Position the water container in a storage locker, ensuring it’s easy to remove for refilling and cleaning.
Test the System: Fill the water container, turn on the tap, and check for proper operation of the pump and water flow.
This setup ensures you have a convenient, fresh drinking water supply without relying on the larger main tank. If you decide to go the route of purchasing individual components or a ready-made kit, these recommendations should help you get started.

Merl

Forum Member
I've considered exactly the same thing but came to the conclusion that I'd simply end up with a second water system that had all the same issues as the first and would need sterilising/cleaning/treating in exactly the same way before each re-use.
I did consider something like this
Which is an inline water filter intended for MH/boat users etc. The bumf says it's exactly what's needed BUT I'd question if nasties could build up within the filter during down time and actually cause an issue? Maybe the filter could be removed between uses and stored in a safe environment and then re-fitted? The problem is actually knowing what's going on with nasties that you cant see or measure, after all you're big tank may be perfectly safe after a pre season sterilise but we just dont know!
All things considered I've not bothered and carry a10L container for cold drinking water and use the main tank for everything else.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
With Murky and the 608 before I ran a stainless tank, cleaning it once a year with a strong Miltons solution.
Left in for no more than a day, before draining I ran the solution though all the connected plumbing.
In Murky the was a small inline water filter, but most of the time I drank from the main tap.

Things to remember.
Use a clean food grade hose pipe to fill the tank. Cap the ends when finished.
Do not use a watering can or bucket to fill the tank. Far too grubby!

When I get to that stage the current Betty build is getting one too!

Around forty years experience.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I almost always use a watering can to fill my tank but it is only used for the van. Apart from my fresh tank I also carry a number of 5 litre bottles that I refill until they are no longer usable.

If I was worried about the water in my tank I would fit a filter to the kitchen cold tap

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)