Drawer fronts, latches, runners, and handles.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Draw runners Screwfix, plenty of marine draw handles on the net (Flush fit folding) or push button door/draw catches. Or even use sprung loaded hinges with finger ledge to open and close.
My overhead lockers have sprung hinges and I can travel in complete safety of stuff being thrown out just by the strength of the hinges, and I've travelled some horrendous roads in North Poland believe me. Phil

N.b.
Steel plates and magnets work well on my sons lockers and doors

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
This is the kitchen sink unit with positions for eight drawers, the ninth being a dummy for the sink bowl.
Hafele Metal Drawer System 400 x 150mm (toolstation.com) for the bottom six.
Hafele Metal Drawer System 400 x 118mm (toolstation.com) for the top two.

I'm thinking 6mm buffalo for the sides, bottom and front. I've found ply tends to warp with age. I don't want a thick front, so I'm thinking about a fabric facing.

Section view to show how the drawer runners will be bolted. A bit of a pain as countersunk set screws will be required as Hafele don't give you a lot of room.

Kitchen unit section.JPG

The rear legs have to be short as plumbing gets in the way. They will be bolted to the former seat fixing rail that is above the plumbing.

Kitchen unit.JPG

Handle and catch hunt next unless someone points out my foolish mistakes :(

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Draw runners Screwfix, plenty of marine draw handles on the net (Flush fit folding) or push button door/draw catches. Or even use sprung loaded hinges with finger ledge to open and close.
My overhead lockers have sprung hinges and I can travel in complete safety of stuff being thrown out just by the strength of the hinges, and I've travelled some horrendous roads in North Poland believe me. Phil

N.b.
Steel plates and magnets work well on my sons lockers and doors
Have you a link to your sprung hinges Phil?

wildebus

Forum Member
B&Q sell good sprung hinges that are designed for top cupboards with a door that open upwards - so needs to stay up.
Those have a fair resistance on them so I think would do a good job of keeping closed by themselves as well?

Squiffy

Forum Member
They are very fast on delivery Squirrell, I used them alot on my last build, I'd order one evening and they would get it delivered within two days, big stuff like the doors arrived next day. Whether it is still their policy during this pandemic I don't know. Phil

st3v3

Forum Member
I've used these:

Asec ASEC Cranked Cam Latchlock To Suit 9mm Padlock - Nut Fix from Locksmith Supplies UK

I liked them because they can be set up so that whatever hand door, or with drawers, they are horizontal when locked, and vertical when unlocked. So, stopped once unlocked we can use the cupboards by just pulling on the handle to open and close as if at home. Then it's a quick visual check to make sure everything is locked prior to moving off.

I can't remember where I actually bought them, IIRC they were a bit cheaper than the link.

These are nice, but bloody expensive!

Lift and turn flush latch large (osculati.com)

These are sensible, but a bit of an odd shape hole to cut:

Steel Cam Lift & Turn CAM Latch (WDS 8552) | Compression Latches | WDS (wdscomponents.com)

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
They are very fast on delivery Squirrell, I used them alot on my last build, I'd order one evening and they would get it delivered within two days, big stuff like the doors arrived next day. Whether it is still their policy during this pandemic I don't know. Phil
I spoke to Magnum late last year.
While they couldn't help with my specific request, I found them very helpful to deal with and would certainly call them again as a preferred supplier.

weefish

Forum Member
Avoid the cheap hafele push button copies on ebay. When put on a left hand door they are marginal. If turned upside down and put on a right hand door they don’t work at all.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)