dodge2ransits van build

dodge2transit

iv been looking around here at your vans and think they are great, so here is mine but iv got way to many pics to put up so i will link the blog to here as it is just simpler, id love to know what you think and were you think something needs changing apart from the paint. its cost last tot 3.500 but im sure im over this now. i never built it for resale just to enjoy it.
dodge 2 transit my home built coach build, i think

dodge2transit

went out for a day while the family were at a bbq i was stuck in a car park down the road so i thought to me self time to test me security devise out. i works well but it eats to much, lol i also found out my tv dont work as well so this also will need to be addressed as well . any why the point of this post is just to say i will be starting to do the out side this week fist things first i will need to Vee out the seems on the body work and run some grp tape down then resin it up and fill , then DA it down and then the paint it should take a few weeks to do this as cash tight..
i will bung a pic up here to wet yu apatite and up date my blog with more and report back here if pople are interested.

dodge2transit

Rommel and bobo 2 of my dogs Buddy is the third. i will sort some pics out of what im planing to do.

dodge2transit

Nice looking dogs mate
thanks jonas, Rommel is the latest addition to the famaly my lad could not cope with him so he ask if we could help out and have him, so far he has been a good dog but he is very sprited and the other two are not use to this so weather this is going to work only time will tell.

Firefox

This is absolutely mint! I admire you for taking on a selfbuild coach-built. Most of us self builders take an easier route with a panel van to start with and I've seen very few coach-built self builds.

Would love to see more pics of interior and exterior as it develops :)

donkey too

This is absolutely mint! I admire you for taking on a selfbuild coach-built. Most of us self builders take an easier route with a panel van to start with and I've seen very few coach-built self builds.

Would love to see more pics of interior and exterior as it develops :)

Get down to Felix, you will more than likely catch him on the car park either at the Martello tower or the next one behind the sands Holiday camp.
I met him and had the grand tour on Saturday, fantastic job is being done on that van. I certainly wouldn't have had the patience to do it. especially liked the slide out genny. But the workmanship is really good. Also had the pleasure of being introduced to his 3 sons and daughter, Oops sorry Wife. and his 3 dogs.
Also with his knowledge of conversions etc., he will be a very welcome addition to the camp fire of an evening.

dodge2transit

Get down to Felix, you will more than likely catch him on the car park either at the Martello tower or the next one behind the sands Holiday camp.
I met him and had the grand tour on Saturday, fantastic job is being done on that van. I certainly wouldn't have had the patience to do it. especially liked the slide out Genni. But the workmanship is really good. Also had the pleasure of being introduced to his 3 sons and daughter, Oops sorry Wife. and his 3 dogs.
Also with his knowledge of conversions etc., he will be a very welcome addition to the camp fire of an evening.
it's like this fire fox iv always wanted a coach build but have never been patient enuf to save up for one, i sold a boat a few years ago that was given to me to do as i felt so used the cash to by a bus, i was thinking i could build a a class, i gave it my best shot but alass to blooming prissy to drive, when the oil went up i had to sell it so striped some of the electronics and sold it for a grand and paid for a van and swoped some bikes as well. and here we are.
one coach build ish later although some would disagree on this lol its around 90 % done now, i also have a very tacky youtube vid out as a slideshow. so this is the history of how it started it was also ment to save money but has cost more than saving up as trucks have come down in prise , well 5 weeks ago they were dont no now.
i did a boat building course in 2003 for two years as well so learnt to hone my carpantry and found out how to use grp, hense the sides, no rust lol..

donkey 2 your making my wife unbearable to live with ,''sister'' i tell you lol its gone to her head and now winding me up :rolleyes2: lol

Firefox

I guess the big challenge is making the joins watertight, and also watertight after it has flexed around on the road and been subject to the wind and sun. Even factory built ones can leak after a while, though the technology has got better over the years!

dodge2transit

I guess the big challenge is making the joins watertight, and also watertight after it has flexed around on the road and been subject to the wind and sun. Even factory built ones can leak after a while, though the technology has got better over the years!
well lol i hope i dont eat my words here but mine should not leak and this is why i hope,
blog=on of the biggest problems iv got is judgmental pople that laff there heads off when i pass, well i cant blame them realy as it is far from finished on the out side, so what i plan over the next week or so is to deal with the seems, what i did is made up from scratch some grp panels with the intentions of screwing them to the frames of the van then but jointing them--- link to blog trouble shooting new entry dodge 2 transit
i hope iv demonstrated the best way to do this you could also do the same on the inside of the panels as well instead of just taping off or over the top.

Firefox

Don't worry about judgmental people. Those people could never hope to achieve what you have done. The simple fact that they are judgmental shows they are too ignorant to appreciate the skill. In any case it will look 100% better when painted up and maybe a few go-faster graphix added ;)

Just imagine if they tried... their efforts would probably fall off in a heap of crap and splinters the first time they drove it!

Good pics on the join though I guess the main test will be the long term watertightness. I used a similar technique to repair a large crack on the GRP roof of an old Dormobile and didn't have any problems with it.

dodge2transit

Don't worry about judgmental people. Those people could never hope to achieve what you have done. The simple fact that they are judgmental shows they are too ignorant to appreciate the skill. In any case it will look 100% better when painted up and maybe a few go-faster graphix added ;)

Just imagine if they tried... their efforts would probably fall off in a heap of crap and splinters the first time they drove it!

Good pics on the join though I guess the main test will be the long term water tightness. I used a similar technique to repair a large crack on the GRP roof of an old Dormobile and didn't have any problems with it.
the pics you have seen are the ones iv already done i did try to experiment and just fill the gaps were i buted it but that did not work due to to much movement on the grp so this is were the work will happen just waiting for a week with no rain. i think im hoping for to much here lol
the graphics will read Collins coach worx , lol just for the crack of it.

donkey too

I didnt see you round the market. I was parked on the front oppo the plant stalls. Yes I did move to the other side of the Fort onto the viewing area. Where I along with another two vans were rocked to sleep by the force 9 gusts coming in off the estuary.:lol-049: Couldnt get the roof up though. did consider going back to the other car park but thought you wouldn't come back as no one would be mad enough to do so in that wind.:mad1: Oh yes they obviously were.:raofl:
I was up at 5 having troubles of a medical kind so parked by the market where there is a good disabled loo, and spent an hour in there before having breakfast and coffee. what do you recon to a meeting up on that car park? There is certainly room and toilets and the notice says restricted to 18 hours parking so we could stay the whole week end if we drove off after 18 hours then drove straight back on.????

dodge2transit

the wife was on there i was parked just down the road from the market probably close to you lol now dont that make yu hot and mad hay hu hu. i was siting in my van looking at the pople looking at me and i was trying to reed lips , its a hobby of mine totle pants at it mind.
im up for it but must do it on a week end with no wind cos that was bloody strong,
if i say im going to do it ill probably will go and do it lol .
was thinking about your meeting, maybe to break up the time we could get a few together and park up for the day at rendlesham forest as there is a lots of bays there to pull in to , and move on the for night at filix and then pull of for the bordsee beech , that then breaks it up a bit and becomes morintresting .. you no bordsea better than me rendlesham i used to live there on the old base befor it got bulldozed.

dodge2transit

well we have some grp ready to use with filler and sanding disks. next dore is on his holls so no car to cover in dust, make a start tomorrow.

Last edited:

dodge2transit

well i put some paint on it today and yesterday back end and pass side, iv updated blog but i will post the pics here as well.

Burtie

Nice van shaun I'm glad to hear that the cassette was the right one hope you get it the way you want it
as I will with mine one day but the rain keeps getting in my way as when I'm cutting wood so I do what I can inbetween good luck with yours and hope we meet up one day

dodge2transit

im very much sur we will Burtie, im like you at the mo getting stuff sorted in between the rain. its raining now and later will be out there sanding the other wall down. the reward is i can put my nose high in the air at the ones that laughed at us lol, there is a few round here were i live..as soon as the paint is dun i will be re'thinking to heads as i found out that the loo iv got is the same width as the new shower tray. cant wait to get stuck in to that job..

Burtie

im very much sur we will Burtie, im like you at the mo getting stuff sorted in between the rain. its raining now and later will be out there sanding the other wall down. the reward is i can put my nose high in the air at the ones that laughed at us lol, there is a few round here were i live..as soon as the paint is dun i will be re'thinking to heads as i found out that the loo iv got is the same width as the new shower tray. cant wait to get stuck in to that job..

I no what you mean m8 I had the same with people laughing and making comments then I thought about the statistics these people are jellous because they have nothing really at least what we have is ours and it's paid for that's when I realised that these people laughing and making comments have always got debt collectors at the door. Yes it's raining here also but I managed to get a fair bit done yesterday

dodge2transit

i scratched me bloody paint work today , some git in a car came hammering down the road fast i i could not stop to avoid him so had to skim the hedge rows now iv got a scratch on my bloody paint. in the words of john mills, you basket car driver. :scared:

im off to filix in the morning for the night i need to have a day and a night out in it.lol if any one see me there feel free to pop your head round for a tea or coffee.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)