Distribution Board

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
First mock-up of Betty's Distribution Board. So what have I forgotten?

Distribution board.JPG

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
Not sure if you changed anything but can make most of it out now :)

You will need a USB Hub somewhere and best probably within that group?

Cerbo has 3 x VE.Direct. You have 4 MPPTs and two BMVs (I think?) which are all VE.Direct, so will need the extra to connect via USB. I used a cheap "Amazon Basics" 4 port unpowered hub for that purpose (https://amzn.to/3nDKXw7)

Nor sure if you have got - or want to get - a GPS connection, but I have used this Receiver - https://amzn.to/3iM5bQG - successfully with a Raspberry Pi, Victron GX and Victron Cerbo and got full location info on the VRM.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Thanks for guidance Dave.

So with just a Pi I should be able to see what this lot is upto?

Update Board.

Distribution board.JPG

wildebus

Forum Member
I have one of those Hubs as well and think it worked fine (y)
I don't know if there are different standard with GPS receivers so I would *think* it would work. I got mine from Amazon as I knew it would be easy to return, and then when it worked, I just bought the same again when needed as it was a known reliable item. :)

Out of interest, what fuses are you using for the Solar?
I think if I had a bank of Solar Controllers, I would go for a DC Consumer Unit type of setup to match the AC CU.
So for the MPPTs, this kind of DC MCB as an example - https://amzn.to/34L8dzl (not sure if really need to isolate both +ve and -ve? overkill? I have a couple of single pole DC MBCs which I haven't used yet but might use if I fit two MPPTs)
And maybe repeat for the Split-Charger and also use another MCB for the 24-12V Converter as well?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The consumer unit is all AC Dave.

This is from the MPPT's to the multiplus.

Yes I've also forgot about a fuse from each solar array to the MPPT's
Also from the Multiplus to the batteries.

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
The consumer unit is all AC Dave.

This is from the MPPT's to the multiplus.

Yes I've also forgot about a fuse from each solar array to the MPPT's
Also from the Multiplus to the batteries.
link not working.

I was looking at the "Solar Fuses" block in your diagram and wondering what kind of setup you have there - and thinking a 2nd DC CU might work well for that as well as the Split Charger?

wildebus

Forum Member
Those midi fuseboxes are good :)
I did have a problem with one a couple of weeks ago though ... the little allen screws that lock down the cables were not tightening properly on three of the fittings :( luckily I could work round it but a bit annoying all the same.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Those midi fuseboxes are good :)
I did have a problem with one a couple of weeks ago though ... the little allen screws that lock down the cables were not tightening properly on three of the fittings :( luckily I could work round it but a bit annoying all the same.
Unfortunately I have two of them! This is the down side of a long project. You end up not knowing whether your coming or going.
I think it might be an idea to look at all that's been purchased. In fact that sounds like a job for Anita, and they could be logged too.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
What had I forgotten? A heat exchanger sits on the floor below the consumer distribution board. 100mm cut of the top :(
Version 2!

Distribution board V2.JPG

Alec

Forum Member
Clearance may be required around Solar Controller for heat control, my Tristar 45amp MPPT required 150mm clearance top and bottom .Also....heat exchanger may be adding to your problems.....see extract from Victron 100/30 manual :-

● Mount vertically on a non-flammable substrate, with the power terminals facing downwards. Observe a minimum clearance of 10 cm under and above the product for optimal cooling. ● Mount close to the battery, but never directly above the battery (in order to prevent damage due to gassing of the battery). ● Improper internal temperature compensation (e.g. ambient condition battery and charger not within 5°C) can lead to reduced battery lifetime.

Alec.

RAW

Forum Member
For GPS I got one of these on EBAY a while back for £8.70 - works fine with PI but seller link is gone
You may find it online
1603825543479.png

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Alec, I thank you for your concern, but based on experience I’m happy I will get away with it. Each mppt has twice the rating that it will be subjected to. The board is fire retardant, but if it even got warm enough for me to smell it I’m in trouble.
I’m running a 30/100 in another vehicle and I’ve never known it to get warm enough not to be able to keep your hand on. Originally the batteries were going to be some considerable distance away and as I like to monitor the midpoint voltage I loose the temperature sensor option on the BMV.
One good thing about the victron kit is being able to tweak how the batteries are charged. On my other vehicle I keep the batteries outside, even though I try to prevent gassing. This build is going to have sealed batteries, and again hopefully twice the required capacity.

Oh I forgot to mention the heat exchanger is enclosed, though some heat will be lost due to not much room for insulation.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)